IGNORED

Will Someone Please put Chrysler out of Our Misery?

Ken H.

Not only are Chrysler products consistently at the very bottom of the performance and reliability ratings, now a new Forbes study out shows they are also the dirtiest.

The 10 most polluting vehicles currently being marketed in North America:

# 10. Dodge Durango

# 9. Dodge RAM 1500

# 8. Dodge Dakota

# 7. Chrysler Aspen

# 6. Mercedes Benz S600

# 5. Mercedes Benz CL600

# 4. Chevrolet Trailblazer

# 3. BMW M6

# 2. BMW M5

And the # 1 most polluting NA vehicle manufactured today - The Jeep Grand Cherokee

Bottom line – Please don’t buy these POSs and maybe they’ll quit making them.

Full article and the ranking methodology here:

Dirtiest Vehicles

Thanks Ken. AS if I needed yet another reason NOT to buy a Chrysler product. The design, performance and quality/reliability was enough for me.

The only positive remark I could say, is that some fo their desings and concepts are unique and they often have good marketing. But that's not saying a lot.

I find it interesting that every one of the Chrysler vehicles on the list had the "Ethanol" option.

The remaining vehicles on the list were all gasoline.

Makes me wonder if this was a true apples to apples test.

How did the non-Ethanol Chryslers do?

To much left unsaid in the article for me to give it much credibility.

I find it interesting that every one of the Chrysler vehicles on the list had the "Ethanol" option.

The remaining vehicles on the list were all gasoline.

True, I don’t think it matter much though, hardly anyone runs them on true E85 Ethanol I suspect.

Remember Forbes didn’t actually test them, just calculated a ranking based on provided numbers.

Interesting that all 4 Chrysler products were rated based on vehicles equipped with the "ethanol fuel option" engine - not the gas only motor.

Not only are Chrysler products consistently at the very bottom of the performance and reliability ratings, now a new Forbes study out shows they are also the dirtiest.

# 10. Dodge Durango

# 9. Dodge RAM 1500

# 8. Dodge Dakota

# 7. Chrysler Aspen

# 6. Mercedes Benz S600

# 5. Mercedes Benz CL600

# 3. BMW M6

# 2. BMW M5

And the # 1 most polluting NA vehicle manufactured today - The Jeep Grand Cherokee

And here I am car shopping this week...

What'll it be I wonder, a few year old Cherokee? I really liked the two BMWs I've been shopping, the 740 and the 750 are amazingly nice cars. I'd like an M5, but there's not enough room for the family in one of them for road trips...

I'd buy a hybrid if it weren't for the... No, I'm just kidding, I wouldn't buy a hybrid. They'd kick me out of the country club!

:dopeslap:

Actually, I think Chrysler is finally getting it. ;)

Chrysler spokesman Nick Cappa said on Friday that an in-house team of electric car development engineers had been disbanded in favor of a more traditional organization. “ENVI is absorbed into the normal vehicle development program,” Cappa told Reuters.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2009/11/envi-20091108.html

Sigh, they are beyond beyond redemption.

"Hey fellow board members, I’ve got an idea on how to save our company – Lets discontinue all R&D. Those guys waste too much money. New ideas are highly over rated anyway."

"By-the-way, anybody know where the Dodge Aspen blueprints are? Let's make some of those!"

I'd agree. Its the right thing for _them_ to do. :Cool: There's plenty of market share available for fuel efficient non-electric vehicles which is exactly what Chrysler needs to capture to survive.

# 10. Dodge Durango

# 9. Dodge RAM 1500

# 8. Dodge Dakota

# 7. Chrysler Aspen

# 6. Mercedes Benz S600

# 5. Mercedes Benz CL600

# 3. BMW M6

# 2. BMW M5

Full article and the ranking methodology here:

Dirtiest Vehicles

Looks like we should lay off anything with that BMW plate on it as well.

If these vehicles are so dirty, why does the federal government allow them to be sold? All vehicles sold in the US must meet or exceed very strict emission standards..including Chrysler products.

I am no fan of Chrysler products but I am not fan of the Toyota Prius either. It is a very dirty vehicle from a manufacturing and disposal standpoint.

I'd agree. Its the right thing for _them_ to do. :Cool: There's plenty of market share available for fuel efficient non-electric vehicles which is exactly what Chrysler needs to capture to survive.

Did you say you agreed with me?????

BTW....Does your phone have any buttons on it with numbers???

:rofl:

If these vehicles are so dirty, why does the federal government allow them to be sold? All vehicles sold in the US must meet or exceed very strict emission standards..including Chrysler products.

I am no fan of Chrysler products but I am not fan of the Toyota Prius either. It is a very dirty vehicle from a manufacturing and disposal standpoint.

Don't confuse us with the facts....cars these days are sooooo much cleaner than even a few years ago this list is simply another way for someone to fill a few lines in a magazine and really provides nothing a consumer needs to know. The interesting thing would be what vehicles emits how much (if you care about that type of stuff) in-use after a few thousand miles...i.e. real world #'s. Never mind that you can carry 5 or 6 people easily in the Cherokee so it may in fact be very efficient vs. a smaller car that you would need 2 or 3 of to accomplish the same task (or have to take multiple trips)...

Don't confuse us with the facts....cars these days are sooooo much cleaner than even a few years ago this list is simply another way for someone to fill a few lines in a magazine and really provides nothing a consumer needs to know. The interesting thing would be what vehicles emits how much (if you care about that type of stuff) in-use after a few thousand miles...i.e. real world #'s. Never mind that you can carry 5 or 6 people easily in the Cherokee so it may in fact be very efficient vs. a smaller car that you would need 2 or 3 of to accomplish the same task (or have to take multiple trips)...

Emission and fuel standards are based on the entire product line and their proposed use. A truck or SUV are proposed to be used for business, farming and mostly other activities than to clutter the freeways on a daily basis. As long as there are a few vehicles in the product line that bring down the average, whether they sell or not, they are in compliance with these standards.

I think it's actually a little misleading. I believe they are calling them "dirty" because of total emmissions. That includes CO2. So this is basically a list of the least efficient mass produced vehicles. Personally, I don't consider CO2 a pollutant. I consider it one of the desired results of combustion. To call CO2 a pollutant, would sugget that we should regulate respiration of orgamisms. "sir, do you have a EPA permit for you mouth". "Umm...no" "I'm sorry, you going to have to stop breathing."

the second possiblity is that they emmit the most polluton in the typcail sense, beign that they have the lowest fuel economy. I believe that emmission regulation measure the concentratin of certain compounds in terms of ppm and ppb but doesn't consider the overall fow rate or net amount of emmission over a period of time.

Well pollution aside,

I was in at my local mechanics the other day and noticed his number 2 at the bench with a bunch of boxes of universal joints open, measuring them.

On the hoist behind him a 2004 RAM1500.

"Whats he doing?"

"Never, ever buy a dodge. We can't get parts for it. He is measuring the joints to decide which one to grind down to fit."

On a 2004?

"Yep"

Damn.

They have such good marketing>

Chrysler provides a lot of jobs in Canadia.

Be careful what you wish for.

So do GM and Ford. The loss fo Chrysler would simply redistribute their declining market share acorss the D3 and foreign brands. O while locally one particular factory might close, a competitors factory will add a shift, or even buy that factory to ramp up production.

The indusrty would probably be healthier with 1 less automaker.

Not only are Chrysler products consistently at the very bottom of the performance and reliability ratings, now a new Forbes study out shows they are also the dirtiest.....

Don't worry. Fiat is going to fix all their problems.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

russell_bynum

Chrysler spokesman Nick Cappa said on Friday that an in-house team of electric car development engineers had been disbanded in favor of a more traditional organization. “ENVI is absorbed into the normal vehicle development program,” Cappa told Reuters.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2009/11/envi-20091108.html

Sigh, they are beyond beyond redemption.

"Hey fellow board members, I’ve got an idea on how to save our company – Lets discontinue all R&D. Those guys waste too much money. New ideas are highly over rated anyway."

"By-the-way, anybody know where the Dodge Aspen blueprints are? Let's make some of those!"

Nobody said they're dumping all R&D...they're just moving their all-electric R&D folks over to traditional R&D. It makes sense because all-electric vehicles do not appear to be in any danger of becoming viable any time soon. That may change some day, but right now they need to focus on getting the most short to mid-term gain on their money....otherwise, there will not be a long-term for them. Let the stronger companies who can afford the risk continue R&D on the more far-fetched technologies.

Not sure I agree tha closing Chrysler Canada would result in job growth equal to job losses.

I don't think so either, but it may be closer to the "appropriate" number of jobs for the size of the overall market.

I happen to like Chrysler and hope they stick around. Could not complain about any of the ones I owned except the Daytona but that was me more than the car.

05 Ram1500 4x4

05 Wrangler 4x4

98 Cherokee 4x4

93 Cherokee 4x4

93 Ram1500

93 New Yorker

89 Dynasty

84 Daytona

All my vehicles are Chrysler made but it's not because I'm a Chrysler fan. It's because they served my needs the best.

My 97 Viper has 27K with only a power steering problem, 01 PT Cruiser has 90K miles with some front bearing issues covered under warranty and the Ram has 26K without any problems. They are all unique vehicles that I could not find from other manufacturers at the time of purchase. I do confess that I never shopped for a vehicle based on it's 'clean' factor. It was mainly horsepower and/or space. Obviously more the horsepower, the dirtier the emissions but I've not modified the cats.

Ya know, Ken, I would have thought you'd have less to worry about since moving north of the border. I guess not.

Interesting that the mighty Hemi isn't among the worst list.

My thought is, somebody has to be last in polluting the planet.

Oh, did you happen to check with China?

Didn't think so.

Mopar to ya!

No, I'm just kidding, I wouldn't buy a hybrid. They'd kick me out of the country club!

We'd also give you a wedgie and take back your secret-code decoder ring.

John Ranalletta

Who's getting what? Taxpayers again suffer the consequences of picking up the soap in a prison shower.

The move by Fiat SpA marks a major reversal for Chrysler, which had used its electric car program as part of the case for a $12.5 billion federal aid package.

As late as August, Chrysler took $70 million in grants from the U.S. Department of Energy to develop a test fleet of 220 hybrid pickup trucks and minivans, vehicles now scrapped in the sweeping turnaround plan for Chrysler announced this week by Fiat CEO Sergio Marchionne.

BTW, Ken, this is a product of "central planning". The market would have flushed C a long time ago.
Nobody said they're dumping all R&D...
I was speaking metaphorically of course.

Of course.

Metaphores can be awefully handy, can't they?

LOL, only if you paint them with a broad enough brush...

BTW, I bought a car...

Nobody said they're dumping all R&D...
I was speaking metaphorically of course.

Of course.

Metaphores can be awefully handy, can't they?

LOL, only if you paint them with a broad enough brush...

Yes, broads & brushes. That's the difference. :grin:

What's that you say about buying a car?

Archived