IGNORED

Easy Alternator removal?

Lester V

Greetings and a question for the crew- Has anyone removed their alternator without removing the ABS module and it's lines? ( 1999 1100RT)

It appears that the alternator could come out without having to remove the ABS module and doing the brake bleed. Anyone know for sure??

I sold this 99 a few years back (250kkm/150k miles) and the fellow I sold it to would like to get the alternator rebuilt this winter. Next winter we will replace the original clutch.

I have never removed mine, but the factory service manual doesn't mention removing the ABS module

Removing and installing alternator

• Remove dualseat.

• [RS/GS/RT] Remove side sections of fairing.

e Caution:

Disconnect ground (earth) lead from battery. Insulate

ground (earth) lead.

• Unscrew fuel tank mount.

• Seal, loosen and pull off fuel feed and return line

with hose clip, BMW No. 13 0 010.

• Remove vent pipes.

• Separate plug for fuel pump.

• Remove fuel tank.

• Remove Motronic control unit.

• [ABS] - detach pressure modulator.

• Remove front cover from engine.

• Detach connecting leads (1) from alternator.

• Loosen Poly-V belt pulley at alternator.

• Unscrew alternator mount (2).

• Take off Poly-V belt pulley and belt.

• Remove strut (3) from frame at left.

• Remove alternator.

e Caution:

Do not scratch other parts; disconnect if necessary.

• Install in the reverse order of work.

Thanks Keith,

[ABS] - detach pressure modulator.

Doesn't this still mean a re-pressurization or rebleed of the brake system? ( this is what i was trying to get away from).

Cheers, see you in the Sierras .

Go over to the MOA list if no one shows up hr with the answer. I've been wondering abt the alternator myself. If your working on it now can you loosen the clamps holding the steel pipes and unplug the electrical to slide the abs and motronic back some.

[ABS] - detach pressure modulator.

Doesn't this still mean a re-pressurization or rebleed of the brake system? ( this is what i was trying to get away from).

Depends on whether they mean detach it from its mounting and just shove it a bit out of the way or detach the pressure lines, it's kind of ambiguous. Alternator problems are pretty rare so I'm not sure many have done the job but maybe we can come up with someone who has been there.

Anton Largiader

I just remove the ABS unit. Maybe you could loosen every fastening point for the pipes and jimmy the thing around, but it's not worth it to me. I remove the fluid and disassemble, then it's all out of the way.

Anton, are there any tricks you know that will expedite getting the air out of the ABS control circuits??? Also how do you bleed the clutch???

I removed and replaced the the alternator on my '97 without removing the ABS unit. It involved much cursing and bending of brake lines. I think I gouged up two knuckles getting it done. If I ever do it again, I will remove the unit first. The brake refill/bleed is less of a PITA than forcing the alternator back into place under the hanging modual.

Anton Largiader
Anton, are there any tricks you know that will expedite getting the air out of the ABS control circuits??? Also how do you bleed the clutch???

No tricks, just regular bleeding procedures.

Thanks for answering Anton. I was just hoping. I've heard of people having trouble bleeding both the clutch slave and the ABS control circuits.

Archived