IGNORED

Question re: Finding Top Dead Center on R1200GS

CMWingfield

Hi,

I was working on my bike yesterday and started looking for the little rubber disk access cover to check for TDC when doing a valve adjustment. Alas, I can't find the little rubber disk access cover! Does the hexhead have a little rubber disk assess cover thingy? If not, what method are folks using to find TDC?

Thanks,

Mike

Presuming you are asking for the sake of doing a valve adjustment, the mark on the cam shaft gear is still there on the new hexheads.

Or you could use the plastic straw / wooden dowel in the spark plug hole trick.

I just stick something in the spark plug hole, put the bike in high gear and turn the wheel to rotate the crank and watch for the intake valves to open then rotate until the piston is at the top of it's stroke.

Yes, I was asking for the purpose of prepping for adjusting the valves. I always used the little window thing on my RT, mostly because I liked the stress of trying to keep the little rubber disk from popping into the engine when you were putting it back on the bike!

I've never liked the bump the rear wheel approach. My arms aren't long enough to bump the wheel and feel when the piston reaches to top of it's stroke. Maybe my technique is wrong.

Thanks for the comments.

Mike

Archived