IGNORED

GNP advice

Vicious_Cycler

Vicious_Cycler

A buddy and I are doing a "fly and ride" to Glacier NP next year, July 2010. We're renting GS's but bringing our own kit. The trip may well include going into Canada to Banff as well. Even though we're from coming from Tennessee, we've decided to leave the weaponry at home, all we're bringing in that regard are healthy appetites and oversized flasks :) . Any other gear to pack, must brings, must sees, and "don't run off the edge of the Sun Road" advice would be appreciated.

PM me your route and I would be happy you some suggestions. Or, if you let me know how many days you would like to spend in Canada I can suggest some routes. We have some beautiful routes in Western Canada.

Yeeha! Stephen

PLEASE!!!!!

Plan an extra day to spend in Glacier NP.

Take a couple of the small Day Hikes inside the park. Better yet, just this one will do.

One of my Favs... 072600g.jpg

Hidden Lake Trail Info

Trail starts from behind the Visitors Center in the middle of the park, about 1/2 way up the Sun road. Get there early, as soon as you can see to ride. Trail is about 3 miles and not difficult. I can do it in my riding boots. You'll be done before lunch. And will probably fill up a memory card with photos of just this trail!

You will not regret this little bit of info. I promise!

+ 1 on the hike from the visitor center. I did that in 2008 and it was awesome. Glacier National Park was the highlight of the 8 day trip.

We stumbled onto a motel in Lakeside (south of Kalispell) due to no vacancies in Kalispell. As we sat out front having an adult beverage while talking with some riders from Canada a guy on a harley pulled up onto a wood deck and parked his bike. As he approached the group he said "you probably wonder who the heck I think I am to park there. Well, I own the place. Actually I am buying it the second time, this time from my ex wife." That was our introduction to Lee Smith- owner/manager of the Bayshore Resort Motel in Lakeside, MT.

The Bayshore is an older motel but the hospitality is second to none. Lee brought out buckets of cleaners, polishes, etc. and rags and pointed out where the hose was located if we wanted to wash our bikes. When I explained how generous I thought that was he said "hey, I ride too, I am just trying to save my bath towels from being used to clean the bikes"!

We enjoyed our stay that night enough to book a room for the following night. The next day we toured Glacier National Park and returned to Lakeside for another swim off the dock in Flathead Lake and an evening of conversation around the lakeside fire pit.

The Bayshore and Lee were among the unexpected pleasures we encountered on our 2008 trip and examples of what will keep us taking them. You can find them online at Bayshore Resort Motel.com

Ewell

Before you leave home, check GNP website for road conditions. There is ongoing road repair on Going-To-The-Sun hiway & snow removal depends on the weather.

I assume you are picking up the bikes in Missoula. There is little or no reason to cross over into Canada. Your range of roads and attractions south of the border can easily fill a week. Don't worry about falling off the Going-to-the-Sun Road, speeds rarely climb above 20 mph in July and all those Harley Hoards will keep you in line. I always like stopping for brunch at East Glacier or Lake MacDonald Lodge. Great history exhibits. If your timing is right, the Park Cafe in St Mary, MT is a great stop. "Pie for Strength". A great little cafe with frequent long lines, a local success story of an aboriginal run business (Blackfeet from Browning). I never miss it if there isn't a lineup. Johnson's just up the hill is a secondary choice. First ate there in 1979!!

You can also stop on the west side and take the little interpretive Trail of the Cedars from the Avalanche Trail parking lot.

Oh yeah, riding. MT 83 Geeenhough to Bigfork, MT 35 east side of Flathead Lake, MT 37 Libby to Rexford, if you really want to get off the beaton track NF-92 Kookanusa Bridge to Yaak, US 89 & MT 49 St Mary to East Glacier (do NOT underestimate this road, it has claimed many motorcyclists over time due to blind curves, frost heaves and gravel sections of washouts), MT 56 Noxon to Troy, US 12 Lolo to Orofino, MT 17-AB 6 Babb to Waterton Park and US 93 Sula to Challis.

Mike Cassidy

Glen, please excuse my coments... this is not a criticism, just my own experience...

We rented a house near GNP, actually on Flathead Lake, and thought we would be overwhelmed with things to see and do. turned out that GNP itself was a good drive-through, but that was about it. We came home half a week early.

The scenery was spectacular of course but the traffic was nuts and the stopping/going and road repair made the entire traverse more of an ordeal than a tour. Loaded GS's will be a handful in my opinion.

The main lodge was a good stopping point- for about a half hour. Look out for many deer and tourists- especially if it is late in the day. Outside the park you will find some great spots catering to tourist hords.

If it were me... I'd plan a drive through and then hot foot it up to Banff or Lake Louise.

Of course if you are the sort of traveler who goes to a place, sets up camp and takes your time exploring and digging into nature, etc your experience will be completely different.

By the way- if you do bike-up in Missoula, you are only a few miles from Highway 12- Lolo Pass. GNP is nice, but Lolo may be the best motorcycle road in the West.

Just sayin'

Bob

Fightingpiper

I'd suggest riding the going to the sun road very early in the morning. I went through the gates at 6AM on July 4th last summer Had the road almost all to myself. I went from east to west and finally hit oncoming traffic well after Logan pass.

... The scenery was spectacular of course but the traffic was nuts and the stopping/going and road repair made the entire traverse more of an ordeal than a tour. Loaded GS's will be a handful in my opinion.

The main lodge was a good stopping point- for about a half hour.

If it were me... I'd plan a drive through and then hot foot it up to Banff or Lake Louise. ...

What Bob said ... !!

Glen, please excuse my coments... this is not a criticism, just my own experience...

We rented a house near GNP, actually on Flathead Lake, and thought we would be overwhelmed with things to see and do. turned out that GNP itself was a good drive-through, but that was about it. We came home half a week early.

If it were me... I'd plan a drive through and then hot foot it up to Banff or Lake Louise.

Bob

Bob, sorry you missed those other rides that were so close to Flathead Lake. There is a reason why Eidelweiss had a touring center in Missoula, though. I just think if you only have a week (and that was an assumption) it doesn't justify the lost day to (and from) Banff. I could find more then enough to do from Missoula to fill a week. And sure, the GTTS Road is only one day and it is slow but it is one of those "iconic" trips.

Mike Cassidy

Mike... I do not disagree with your comments, GTTS road is something that ought to be done.

I just wanted to add a little "balance" to the original poster's stack of enthusiastic replies.

I should add that unfortunately when we were there, we were in the cage and I surely wished I had been on the bike. It would have been a different experience.

Having said that, I took a look at the maps and think an arrival in Missoula followed by riding Lolo Pass then looping back to GTTS road ought to fulfill any riders dream vacation.

Enjoy your trip no matter where you go. As Tennessean by birth I have an appreciation for the wonders of the west... enjoy!

Vicious_Cycler

We're pumped without a doubt! I am really enjoying these points of view on a trip like this. It'll be great no matter what, just to get off the porch. We would like to spend our week wisely. Keep it coming...y'all.

Yeeha! Stephen

"I'd suggest riding the going to the sun road very early in the morning. I went through the gates at 6AM..."

Roger that!

I suggested as soon as you could "see", I just couldn't remember what time it was that we did that.

We too had the road to ourselves. Tourists must still be asleep!

Also... I stayed at the KOA's on each end of GNP and got a Campin' Cabin. I had my bag and stuff with me and sure enjoyed the air.

Make up your own mind.

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=120591

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=121798

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=122276

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=130966

Do the Ice Field Parkway.......

If ya don't stay here ....your stupid.

We stayed in the room pictured.

Google "The Prince of Wales" hotel for all the "other" info.

Great place to hang out with a view that cannot be beat.

waterton-lakes-prince-of-wales-hotel.jpg

We don't usually do guided tours and such but we did take the "Big Red Bus" in Glacier and thourghly enjoyed it. First we rode through on the bikes then came back and took the bus. They take you to the top of Going to the Sun road to the visitor's center and back with stopping along the way for photo ops. It gives you a chance to look at the scenery without concentrating on staying on the road plus the bus driver is a hoot.

Vicious_Cycler
We don't usually do guided tours and such but we did take the "Big Red Bus" in Glacier and thourghly enjoyed it. First we rode through on the bikes then came back and took the bus. They take you to the top of Going to the Sun road to the visitor's center and back with stopping along the way for photo ops. It gives you a chance to look at the scenery without concentrating on staying on the road plus the bus driver is a hoot.

Our plan is just to rent bikes. Yhough Mike Bender said he would be happy to make suggestions, it is not a guided tour. Thats why everyones advice here is so important to me.

I feel I have to chime back in here.

After my last post I checked the email address I had for the Bayshore Motel and got nowhere. Your guess is as good as mine.

I agree with the comments on starting early. If you are in the first wave of traffic to enter the park your chances of seeing wildlife are greatly increased and the amount of traffic you encounter will be greatly reduced. We rode West to East on advise from a friend who grew up in the area. I had planned on East to West to have the morning sun at my back but he suggested West to East to be on the outside lane of the roadway and thereby have a better view. I think he was right. Another of his suggestions was to take hwy 49 (Looking Glass Hill Road)after getting onto hwy 89 from the East entrance to the park. Hwy 49 takes you to Hwy 2 at East Glacier and is a great motorcycle road.

I feel the visitor center warrants much more than a half hour stay. That is, if you are willing and able to take a bit of a hike. The trail above it is well worth the hike. We walked through snow the last week of July 2008, saw goats alongside the trail and the scenery was spectacular. Saw a full curl ram from the parking lot!

Were I to do it again the only thing I'd change would be to get an even earlier start. We lingered too long over breakfast in Columbia Falls. As it was we really didn't feel traffic was a problem.

Ewell

Archived