IGNORED

Front Brake Line Failure, strange symptoms though

JonathanE

I was pulling my 2000 R1150GS out of the garage when the front brake locked up. Very strange!?! The bike was running, but that has no affect either way on the blissfully pre-EVO Y2K R1150GS. Realizing that I wasn't going riding, I tried to get the brakes to release by pumping the brake lever a few times so I could drag it back into the garage. After a couple of "deadheaded" pumps (no lever travel), the lever started moving a bit, then a lot.

It was still stuck (but not quite as bad)so I removed the right caliper and was able to roll it up the driveway out of the large new puddle of brake fluid. I thoroughly hosed the big yellow pig down and moved it into the garage.

After some disassembly, I found that the front brake line is burst at the hose crimp to the banjo bolt attached to the frame interfacing it to the rigid brake line to the ABS unit. So, at the very least, I need a new front brake line. BUT, my question is: would this failure start by causing the brake "lockup" the front wheel? Or did something else happen first and I just blew the line coincidentally. Very strange to me, but them I'm hardly an expert with brake hydraulic circuits.

This may prevent me from making it to the Death Valley Pre Run, which would be a drag.

You have experienced a one way valve condition. Not uncommon in degrading rubber brake lines. Actually pretty common.

I would highly suggest upgrading to stainless teflon flex lines. Much, much better stuff.

I would highly suggest upgrading to stainless teflon flex lines. Much, much better stuff.

Absolutely. Not only vastly superior to stock but less expensive to boot. Available from Spiegler and Galfer. If you are in a hurry Spiegler will make up a set same day and overnight them to you if you ask nicely.

Thanks gentlemen. I'll go in to Tr-Valley Moto in the morning and order a Spiegler kit for my GS. It looks like I will miss Death Valley this weekend, but at least I'll have new SS/teflon brake lines all the way around when I next ride my GS out of the country!

You have experienced a one way valve condition. Not uncommon in degrading rubber brake lines. Actually pretty common.

Can you explain "one way valve condition" further? I'm having a hard time envisioning how this works.

Can you explain "one way valve condition" further? I'm having a hard time envisioning how this works.

Easy. The internal lining of the hose degrades and swells to such a point that debris begins to build up. At some point, usually at the weakest or most swollen point in the line, the debris clogs there. Pressure is pumped in via passing the clog but it can't re regulate to previous pressure because it is now blocked (one way valve). So in many cases the hose around this area begins to bulge with built up pressure. It can happen anywhere along the line. I currently have a rubber line on my military truck that is doing this . It is bulging and causing one of my rear drums to lock up. Again, this happens all the time with rubber brake lines.

russell_bynum
I was pulling my 2000 R1150GS out of the garage when the front brake locked up. Very strange!?! The bike was running, but that has no affect either way on the blissfully pre-EVO Y2K R1150GS. Realizing that I wasn't going riding, I tried to get the brakes to release by pumping the brake lever a few times so I could drag it back into the garage. After a couple of "deadheaded" pumps (no lever travel), the lever started moving a bit, then a lot.

It was still stuck (but not quite as bad)so I removed the right caliper and was able to roll it up the driveway out of the large new puddle of brake fluid. I thoroughly hosed the big yellow pig down and moved it into the garage.

After some disassembly, I found that the front brake line is burst at the hose crimp to the banjo bolt attached to the frame interfacing it to the rigid brake line to the ABS unit. So, at the very least, I need a new front brake line. BUT, my question is: would this failure start by causing the brake "lockup" the front wheel? Or did something else happen first and I just blew the line coincidentally. Very strange to me, but them I'm hardly an expert with brake hydraulic circuits.

This may prevent me from making it to the Death Valley Pre Run, which would be a drag.

FWIW, Galfer is located here in CA and has always shipped stuff the same day I ordered it. If you call tomorrow morning you should have the new lines Thursday...plenty of time to install, bleed, and still make the ride.

The brake hose interior hose came apart from the fitting. It closed up. Pressure trying to go back pushed it closed even more. Kinda like a heart valve.

It does happen and isn't the easiest thing to diagnose. Opening the bleeder allows the brake to relax. This is a good sign its a brake hose or problems in the master cylinder.

It can cause a slight hang in the brakes too. One brake will get hot while the rest are fine. (this is on a car or truck).

David

Thanks, David. I was going to suggest that the hose liner, once cracked, can delaminate and become a flap this is just like a heart valve. I think that fuel lines can have the same problem.

FWIW, Galfer is located here in CA and has always shipped stuff the same day I ordered it. If you call tomorrow morning you should have the new lines Thursday...plenty of time to install, bleed, and still make the ride.

Thanks Russell and others, but Galfer doesn't list a kit or hose for my bike. Actually, they don't list anything for the R1150GS. Shucks. Spiegler has a full kit, but it won't be delivered until Tuesday. I think this means that I can plan on attending the actual DV Daze in January.

Thanks for the explanations. My initial guess was brake line "atherosclerosis" which seems to be pretty much the case.

Does Galfer stock brake line kits for R1100RT as a standard item, or is this custom?

Thanks for the explanations. My initial guess was brake line "atherosclerosis" which seems to be pretty much the case.

Does Galfer stock brake line kits for R1100RT as a standard item, or is this custom?

Yes, a standard kit (from their catalog, avail. on line):

R1100 RT ABS UNIT FK003D173 complete kit

Archived