IGNORED

Fuel strip

Motodan

I need to know the typical symptoms of a faulty fuel strip because I was told that my '05 RT's may need to be replaced.

Is there possibly another detailed thread that discusses this issue?

Thanks.

I need to know the typical symptoms of a faulty fuel strip because I was told that my '05 RT's may need to be replaced.

Is there possibly another detailed thread that discusses this issue?

Thanks.

There's a zillion threads about the thing, usually with the word "gauge," spelt variously, in the thread title.

I've had it done twice, made no difference in the "empty" gallonage...shows empty and only takes about 5.2 gallons. The last time I HAD to get it done, as the gas gauge went blank (well I din't HAVE to, but it was covered under the parts warranty). This last time required a software update.

Symptoms: gas gauge shows empty when there's still a couple or more gallons left; or the gas gauge goes blank. Or both. In my cases, anyway.

EDIT: based on you comments in your other thread, Catbird, I'd bet your fuel sensor is kaputski. However, only a fool would take action on a bet I made, without confirmation from someone with actual knowledge.

Mine gas gauge went south last March--when we were at Torrey.

I normally fill up from the right--gas pump on the left, hose stuck into the right hand side of the gas tank--so as not to disturb the sensitive fuel strip. But this time all the pumps were in operation, except one, where I had to violate my previous practice.

Gas gauge never worked since.

Been living off the trip meter ever since. But the yellow "Triangle of Death" and flashing gas icon is bothering me enough to want to fix the d*mn thing. But I keep reading about those who have had "the fix", only to have it fail again and again. Of course my bike is out of warranty, so any decision is going to be out of pocket.

As I understand, this is not a DIY job, as the bike has to be strapped to the magic BMW shop computer, with the tank completely empty, and the gauge "retrained" to know when it's empty. So it's not only the cost of the part, but also shop time $$ to fix what shouldn't fail in the first place. :mad:

Since my closest shop is 3-4 hours away, has anyone found a way to fix it themselves? Would a GS 911 be of any help here?

Hello and thanks for the feedback.

This is the current situation:

(Whether I just turn the key ON or start up the engine, the display is the same.)

As you may know there are two gas pump icons, one is the small one just above the gas level bar gauge that is always ON when the key is ON. The other one is larger and is located about an inch or so IIRC above the smaller one where system faults are displayed.

I have about 3/4 full tank of fuel in the bike.

Initially, when I started the engine, the bar gauge showed 100% full and the larger gas pump icon was blinking.

Eventually, with the key OFF, I opened the gas cap to relieve any possible unusual pressure (wasn't any) and gingerly probed around down in the tank with a clean wooden rod about 18" long. I was hoping that I could feel something that possibly had become stuck (wasn't any).

Finally, I started the engine again; this time the bar gauge showed completely empty and the larger gas pump icon was still blinking.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

I normally fill up from the right--gas pump on the left, hose stuck into the right hand side of the gas tank--so as not to disturb the sensitive fuel strip...

Hmmm, that is the first time I have ever heard that the wrong choice of a fuel pump might harm the sensor. I never pay attention to this at all. The black insert (which I have not removed) seems to make the pump nozzle point straight down into the tank regardless of which side I am standing on. I wonder if this might be an argument for not removing that thing, as so many have done? My fuel gauge has always worked fine.

Jay

'05RT

I normally fill up from the right--gas pump on the left, hose stuck into the right hand side of the gas tank--so as not to disturb the sensitive fuel strip...

Lost my fuel strip this spring after a fill up. The guage worked on the ride home. It was a short mile or two, so it is possible that it was dead just after filling. But I did not notice. The next morning it showed NO gas. Yes, the yellow warning was blinking. Upon getting a new sensor under warrentee, I looked at the new strip. The thing is roughly a foot long and made of flimsy plastic. If you notice where it is in the tank, it is subject to a blast if the gas nozzle is facing to the left. I too believe there could be something to fueling left vs right. I'll let you know if I ever have another failure. I sure am not going to blast that flimsy thing anymore.

My failure is not the same as some others I have seen on this site. Some folks had a slower degradation or simply showing gas when there wasn't any. So, there may be several ways the thing can fail. Donno . .

My gauge stopped working this past Sept. It read too full resulting in me running out of gas for foolishly using it to know when to fill up (the gauge had always read too low before).

When I filled up prior to the gauge deciding to read too full, I filled the bike from the left side of the bike while on it's side stand. I normally fill from the right. The pressure on this pump was very high as I remember gas actually started shooting out of the tank as I started to fill it. I'm guessing that my fuel strip got blasted and thus the potential cause of it reading too full.

I use the odometer now.

Grumpy-ol-Fart

I wasn't going to pitch in...but couldn't help myself.

With about 800 miles on the '08 I had grown careless relying on the gage. One morning on the way to work, cruise control set and not a care, other than watching dimwits in cages. Without warning the bike quit. I managed to pull into a church parking lot. Looked everything over, no warnings on the screen, 1/4 tank of fuel (indicated), no indication what was wrong; tried to start it and nothing...not a sputter. Called BMW, they sent a wrecker after the bike and hauled it back to OKC. Service guy plugs in the magic computer, everything is OK; hits the starter, bike starts. The service manager looks it over and decides to take it for a ride. He makes it just over 2 blocks and bike dies. He coasts into a gas station, and just to make sure decides to put some fuel into it. About 5.5 gallons; bike was out of gas. So back to the dealership, suck out gas (he says) set it at empty, put gas back in, set at full. Oh and updated the software...

I came and picked up the bike. He tells me that if I have any more issues, that they'll have to replace the fuel strip. Gage worked perfect for that tank of fuel. When I filled up the next time, the fuel gage never moved off full. It's been there every since, approaching 8000 miles. I haven't had a fuel gage before and never managed to run out of fuel, and haven't since. I haven't found it a hassle so I haven't done anything about it since. The dealer is an hour and a half away and I always have to arrange for transportation when I have to leave it and that's a PITA; so until it has to go in for something Im good with full.

...tried to start it and nothing...not a sputter...and just to make sure decides to put some fuel into it. About 5.5 gallons...

Doesn't the RT tank hold more than 5.5 gallons when empty? Also, why would it not crank earlier if it was just out of gas? I think they are missing something.

Jay

Nice n Easy Rider

Tim,

Last time I had my fuel strip replaced (2nd) it only took the tech about 30-45 minutes and I was able to just wait while they did it. If all of your computer upgrades are up to date there is apparently no reason this should take more than an hour or so (at least that is the impression I get from my dealer's service manager). You defintely want to make sure they have a replacement strip in stock before you go though. I would go ahead and do it while it's still under warranty. My hope is that the problem is with the supplier of the strips and as we go through them we'll exhaust the supply of bad ones and finally get to a good lot. :)

• 3 months later...

Well, with 5200 miles on my RT, I got the yellow triangle with the exclamation mark and my fuel gauge quit working. Not even a numerical miles to empty reading...

:(

Archived