IGNORED

Dueling Banjos and Halloween

Whip

I've belatedly discovered and published a little still-camera video I took of walking up to and behind Dry Falls. You can see it on

On edit: had a problem with the access permissions, should now be fixed so everyone can see it.

Wow ! What an Adventure. I hope Whip will retract his statement I read months ago saying there's nothing worth going east for .

Okay....Halloween.

:P

Wow! What a great trip you all had back to Banjo Country....spectacular pics with all the written words and explanations...someone please tell me you saw trophy trout in that stream/river???

Kathy, mud stains are a good look for anybody. :thumbsup:

BTW, a comment about this shot.

704109151_q2snS-L.jpg

Looks to me like two couples need to get a room. Okay, three, if you count Eddd & Bill Walker. :grin:

Yeah, I wish I had been there.

Looks to me like two couples need to get a room. Okay, three, if you count Eddd & Bill Walker. :grin:

Yeah, I wish I had been there.

It's all Kathy's fault. She made me move next to Eddd for the picture! :) You'll notice in the next one she made me sit next to roadscholar. All that just to avoid the glare off the back of my head!

We wish all of you could've been there!

We wish all of you could've been there!

Yeah, so do we. 'cept Bill didn't invite us. Augie.gif

That's okay, one can't expect to be invited everwhere.

'Coarse, all my friends have been to that house, but I haven't. Just sayin'. ;)

What a motley crew :)

You do meet the nicest people at.....Wendy's???

Great seeing everyone if only for a few minutes. We arrived home waaay after dark.

Danny, they are just hyping this over the top, we didn't have that good of a time.

Ask Kathy, she will tell you, pretty slow around there.

So you're sayin' you won't come back? :grin:

Yeah, right!

704095009_SWnY4-L.jpg

Kathy, ironically while sleeping Saturday night I was getting subliminal messages from this guy saying BBQ was evil and to "Eat Mor Soo-she". That's when I knew we had to find a Japanese restaurant.

And you handled the "incident" like a trooper. When everyone rides away it's a non-issue. Everybody that rides off-road knows it.

So we have a new event.

The Un-Invited.

I like it. Just be at the right place at right time.

I can work with that.

Good. If there's a next one we somehow need to expand the accomodations. I'm puttin' Larry in charge...again.

And you handled the "incident" like a trooper. When everyone rides away it's a non-issue. Everybody that rides off-road knows it.

I'll second that, Bill. Kathy was doing such a good job on the FSR's, it was hard to believe that this was one of her first times off pavement. Some people pick up it naturally, most don't. You're definately a natural, Kathy.

But, anyone who has ridden in the dirt knows that it can humble you in all sorts of ways and manner. If you continue to ride off road, you will fall at some point or another. All you can do is shake it off and go again. :thumbsup:

What a motley crew :)

You do meet the nicest people at.....Wendy's???

Great seeing everyone if only for a few minutes. We arrived home waaay after dark.

We got back waaay after dark, too. The Wendy's parking lot encounter was awesome even though it only lasted a half hour or so. All said, we did almost 12 hours in the saddle on Sunday and it was one of the finest riding days of the year. Here is my pic of the group.

708678289_oMcpL-L.jpg

I really enjoyed seeing so many of my friends again after missing several riding events over the last couple of years. I especially want to thank RoadScholar for hosting this most excellent of bashes. That said, Bill, you should still sleep with one eye open from now on. I will be repaying that little prank at Bridal Falls one day. :grin:

Monday started out much like Sunday.

A great view, friends, and plans.

704024718_zZPwj-L.jpg

...wait, is that someone knocking on the front door????

Go get Bill, some dude in a hoody says he's here to do the floors.

His knee pad is on upside down.

It's Calvin......those are my socks.

706744515_ez3UU-L.jpg

He can only stay for an hour, I'm glad he took the time.

BTW.....most of that hour was spent listening to Bill tell him how to get home. I know he got lost :dopeslap:

Dave and Jean had left the day before.

Steve and Sylvia getting ready to leave.

That left one group going to The Biltmore Estate.

707580608_GcYNX-L.jpg

...and four riders that thought they were ready for anything Bill could throw at us.

It was a perfect Fall day....

706745679_6MyHM-L.jpg

706747760_LR9AA-L.jpg

706746785_i6iac-L.jpg

706749336_9b5iE-L.jpg

706748157_9RCQA-L.jpg

We used sign language as much as possible not to wake the banjos.

707554388_JRqV9-L.jpg

707555765_RYffz-L.jpg

707559762_ZchuZ-L.jpg

I can see the devil on his right shoulder...

707557044_XQq9D-L.jpg

706761351_35JpQ-L.jpg

707550471_YCqAh-L.jpg

All that banjo music made me wanna start a southern rock band. I can't sing or play any instruments, but that kinda stuff can be over come.

Meet the TATE CITY ROLLERS......I like it better than MALLERS. Mallers sound like a roller derby team.

We need help choosing our first album cover....we'll work on the music later. Marketing is much more important than content.

706750050_2HQsg-L.jpg

706750687_BrKbj-L.jpg

Where did our leader singer go...????

707561534_omJ6s-L.jpg

Please vote at the end of the thread.

At one point our road was washed out.....so Bill decide we needed to do a water crossing.

706751940_o32Fq-L.jpg

Not just any water crossing....

706752593_Ze73t-L.jpg

One of those crossings you may need a 4 foot tall carpet salesman to help ya with.

706753254_i6VCR-L.jpg

706753882_f2qS4-L.jpg

My fear factor had been lowered by Bill's ride to and from the other side.

706754839_225jA-L.jpg

Right about here I think it dawned on Bill that three of the bikes going across the river were his.

706756014_jby48-L.jpg

Just has I tell eddd I think we can do it....Bill says....forgetaboutit.

So we go back the way we came for awhile and then Bill takes us here, there and everywhere. I offer my Katoom to Bill to ride on a paved section and tell RoadScholar to let me know when a good time would be. Bill had been on my bike in a previous Torrey before I upgraded the suspension. I wanted him to try it out on these twisties. We stop in a parking lot and switch bikes.

Mr Walker looks great on the Katoom and is flying around looking like he and the Katoom are one. RoadScholar takes us on a brief short cut on a gravel road. On a real tight, blind, down hill, off camber, right turn........

We get to meet a retire AMA Superbike racer from the 80's.

707562661_es9fF-L.jpg

707563873_WeRWT-L.jpg

While Bill was getting checked out we ride three bikes back, get the van, ride back to Bill's bike and I ride it back to the Hospital following the van. Mrs Whip calls cause they get back from the Biltmore and see a bunch of bikes, but no peeps. I was kinda vague on the phone and they all get curious. Jamie investigates and finds my bike with a couple new scratches and some mud on it. They don't tell Mrs Whip cause they don't want her to worry.

In the morning Jamie, Les, Bill, and Kathy drive to the airport.

eddd Louise and I spend a few minutes relaxing before we start the ride back.

I couldn't put my finger on it, but I could feel the ghosts of the weekend still in the house. I'm not sure if that house had ever experienced a Halloween quite like that.

We meant no disrespect.

711145516_JRDZy-L.jpg

My favorite line of the weekend...

711141327_KTvpe-L.jpg

As we pulled out the drive way, I was already looking forward to our next visit. I looked back and saw a sign I don't remember seein when we first got there.

704913364_pKGWW-L.jpg

Thanks RoadScholar, you more than lived up to your name.

L

Now it's getting good . I hope it's not over. Whip, come on back for a dirt bike ride sometime in the spring ! I put up videos from the same area two weeks earlier in ride tales.

Please vote at the end of the thread.

My vote is: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Only because I have just 2 thumbs. Great tale. Must have been an epic gathering. What a gracious host that RoadScholar guy must be. (Not that it would surprise me at all.)

I haven't been to North Carolina since moving away in 1983. I wasn't riding then, and never spent time in the "mountains." I could see going back for something like that, provided I could pay a visit to Chapel Hill, too.

Now it's getting good . I hope it's not over. Whip, come on back for a dirt bike ride sometime in the spring ! I put up videos from the same area two weeks earlier in ride tales.

I got a couple more pix in my camera, but I need someone to explain.

I assume these are from The Biltmore.

707584471_y2HNZ-L.jpg

707587365_dTAer-L.jpg

707583055_QWkCU-L.jpg

...and I fixed the BW poster.

711213559_CVoPC-L.jpg

...At one point our road was washed out.....so Bill decide we needed to do a water crossing.

706751940_o32Fq-L.jpg

You can see video of Bill's crossing on

The rest of us were looking at it and thinking "Gee, I've never ridden on loose river rocks before, even without water on top of 'em." And Whip was thinking "I've gotta ride back to Texas on this bike. If I drop it in the water, I'm toast." Meanwhile, Bill F. was thinking "Geez, guys, it's just a little water crossing. What's the big deal?"

I can see the devil on his right shoulder...

707557044_XQq9D-L.jpg

That'd be the devil of overconfidence, fed by successive riding days on a G650XC, F800GS, and KLR650. He's trying hard to convince me that while I'm not an off-road god, I might at least be a seraph or something.

Mr Walker looks great on the Katoom and is flying around looking like he and the Katoom are one. RoadScholar takes us on a brief short cut on a gravel road. On a real tight, blind, down hill, off camber, right turn........

We get to meet a retire AMA Superbike racer from the 80's.

707562661_es9fF-L.jpg

There might have been something in between the turn and the meeting, but since there are no pix, it didn't happen. :) Except that I've still got the souvenir.

As Whip, said, it was a beautiful morning:

IMG_2056.jpg

IMG_2058.jpg

A slight loss of, um, directional awareness on our leader's part led to a stop at this charming spot:

IMG_2059.jpg

Later, I saw Whip plotting something with roadscholar. Little did I know where it would lead!

IMG_2064.jpg

That's all I've got to add. Love the quote pic, Whip, and it's still true. I had a fabulous time despite breaking my clavicle (thank God I put it off until 5:00 PM on the last riding day!).

Thanks again to roadscholar for his extreme hospitality, and to Whip for helping to organize it.

But, anyone who has ridden in the dirt knows that it can humble you in all sorts of ways and manner. If you continue to ride off road, you will fall at some point or another. All you can do is shake it off and go again. :thumbsup:
Precisely, why I don't ride in the dirt. Know your limitations, I say! :grin:

Off we go, in the SUV, for a gorgeous day at the Biltmore.

704115409_TBEG4-M.jpg

As we got closer I started to feel odd. And then there was the mansion!

711320161_vn8yd-M.jpg

Shuttle bus ride from the estate's parking lot...

704115206_jZgNL-M.jpg

George Vanderbilt envisioned a self supporting estate.

704121589_eEqiQ-L.jpg

704119635_5Hpy4-L.jpg

After hours of touring the magnificent "no photos allowed" mansion

we visit the winery. Please translate this for me?

704119492_D6XZm-M.jpg

That Halloween aura followed us wherever we went...

704119535_vN9tx-M.jpg

704122042_MX6Zv-M.jpg

For some reason I began to feel strangely comfortable here...

704122114_vMySc-M.jpg

After an undocumented wine tasting we returned to the SUV. (hiccup)

704118763_mrGn3-M.jpg

704118343_akdCs-M.jpg

704118467_fcfvs-M.jpg

704118855_busYh-M.jpg

704122727_k4k6j-M.jpg

Our wonderful day was coming to an end.

Our fabulous weekend was coming to an end too

It was terrific to spend so much time with a group of people, in snug quarters, and feel the love day in and day out.

704115293_3zjkj-M.jpg

When we got "home" it was odd to see the van gone and the bikes there? Louise instinctively knew something was up, but we weren't sure what or how bad the news might be? Not much we could do but wait.

It's amazing how Bill Walker still smiles, even with a broken collarbone. Everyone looked out for him, but quickly Ed and Jamie took over insuring he had what he needed. Folks moved his sleeping quarters from the livingroom floor to a vacated bed.

711312903_cmZDf-M.jpg

For the first time we ate dinner at "home". Pizzas and salads were ordered and picked up. Louise set up the dining room and we once again gathered for food and good conversation. We gobbled some of the last of Louise's home made cookies. (She had shipped them in before leaving TX!!)

Good night sweet North Carolina

704122649_oFvst-L.jpg

GOOD MORNING N.C. came early. Bill W, Leslie, Jamie and I said our goodbyes and got in the rental car for the ride to the airport. Louise reminded us of her idea of one last thing to do before leaving the South East.

We were hungry and soon 3 smart phones were searching the internet for our breakfast destination.

WHAT IS THE NAME OF THIS PLACE AGAIN? Bingles? Bonkies?

Through the drive thru and away we come with Sausage N Biscuits .... YUM.

(Please pay no attention to the yucky appearance...it was GOOD)

711312774_WnF53-M.jpg

Hertz bus, take us home!

704127276_c9M7H-L.jpg

RoadScholar, you are, er, one of two of a kind...

711333450_BYzAo-M.png

Merci Beaucoup!

Thank you all everyone, that's the most fun I've had in a long time, it really was my pleasure. It was like four years of excitement compressed into four days. :grin: I'd do it again in a minute.

WHAT IS THE NAME OF THIS PLACE AGAIN? Bingles? Bonkies?

Through the drive thru and away we come with Sausage N Biscuits .... YUM.

(Please pay no attention to the yucky appearance...it was GOOD)

My guess is Bojangles......mmmmmm good :clap:

Great reporting by all!!!!

Thanks for sharing!!!

If there is such a thing as too much fun, it looks like you all got pretty close! :thumbsup:

If we missed that target, it certainly wasn't for lack of trying!

I hear ya, but we're still going to have to work on you. I'm not sure which will be easier, turning you to the dirty side or, as Roy D. Mercer would say, turning you into a Ronald-By-God-Reagan conservative. :D

Bill, I too am glad your little getoff happended at the end of the whole shebang. It would have really sucked to be sidelined during that weekend. I wish you a speedy recovery and look forward to the next adventure.

Big T...

My guess is Bojangles......mmmmmm good

YES! Thanks Todd :wave:

And YES Louise, we LOVED IT! I wasn't hungry again until later that night, when I ate some of your cookies! :D

russell_bynum

Bah. What's the fun in that?

:Cool:

Russell, I'll go half on getting Jaime a rocking chair with a seatbelt.

Russell, I'll go half on getting Jaime a rocking chair with a seatbelt.

Ed, I might want to get in on that one, too. We should make sure the rocking chair has those soft little pillow thingies on it.

Archived