IGNORED

(_$$#(_&** $450 rear tire.

ShovelStrokeEd

ShovelStrokeEd

Nice ride yesterday from Bowling Green to Knoxville. Perfect weather, decent back roads, took it easy and just enjoyed the precision of the Tuono.

Got up this morning with every intention of going out and playing slightly SE of here. Bike is steering like a truck. Hmmmmm, tire pressure must be down a bit. I'll just head over to the Cycle Gear and air it up. Looked the tire over while doing so and couldn't find any faults.

Get it up to 38 lbs and call it good. Stop to chat a bit with a couple of guys who rolled up on a Can Am Spyder. Just for grins, I checked the air again before riding off and it was down 2 PSI in less than an hour.

More careful peeking around found the nail. I don't believe in plugs except in dire emergency. New Russo, 190/50-17 $240, mounted. Pit Bull rear stand, $150. Misc tools to pull caliper, loosen chain, break loose rear axle nut, $50. 9.25% TN sales tax (WTF?) and I'm over $450.

First flat in about 10 years but I'm gonna complain anyway. Grrrrrrr!

I know you'll disagree with me Ed, but stome sticky rope plug in the nail hole assuming it was not in the sidewall would have gotten you back to Florida where you could replace it cheaper.

I know you'll disagree with me Ed, but stome sticky rope plug in the nail hole assuming it was not in the sidewall would have gotten you back to Florida where you could replace it cheaper.

Thats what I did, and rode 400 miles on it. I even rode the Dragon with it :wave:

DSCN2461.jpg

ShovelStrokeEd

Yeah, I know, I even use them on my cars but my motorcycles are different. I had a plan to try some interesting antics today, including an exploration of the upper reaches of the RPM range in 6th gear (I know a road). Not too sure about a plug under those circumstances, especially a fresh one.

It's all good, I needed the stand anyway, PITA to lube the chain without it.

Thats what I did, and rode 400 miles on it. I even rode the Dragon with it :wave:

DSCN2461.jpg

No way in hell......life is too short to even consider something that risky....I would ride a plug if I had no option to get to a new tire/home to my changer but no farther....and I am a cheap SOB!!

Simply amazes me the risks some folks will take to save a few $$$'s....

Had nothing to do with saving money, but everything to do with riding 800 miles to TN and not ruining a day because of a flat 1/2 way thru the ride. It was replaced the next day.

This is a pic of the tire the next day...

IMG_2557.jpg

And this is a pic with lots of pressure on the plug. I made the Killboy Highlights page with this pic. And I owe it all to that plug.

img_1903.jpg

That is all fine and clearly you did what you felt had to be done but why hammer it through a corner while trying to get to the new tire....

That is all fine and clearly you did what you felt had to be done but why hammer it through a corner while trying to get to the new tire....

I was in a hurry to get to the new tire.

:grin:

Admittedly, the constant thumping thru left turns every time the plug hit the ground, would make my butt pucker a little bit more with each thump.

Admittedly, the constant thumping thru left turns every time the plug hit the ground, would make my butt pucker a little bit more with each thump.

We all have to satisfy the adrenaline junkie inside us one way or another.... I put a plug in down in Key West, and finally got a new tire in Salt Lake City. But then I've been told I'm nuts....

We all have to satisfy the adrenaline junkie inside us one way or another.... I put a plug in down in Key West, and finally got a new tire in Salt Lake City. But then I've been told I'm nuts....

How about riding on this? Don (DGShaffer) and I stopped to help a guy up near Lake George NY. I happened to have a few extra plugs 'just in case'. It took 3 to get this tire to hold air. He didn't want me to cut the plug down. He rode it just as you see it. He emailed Don a few days later to let him know he made it home OK.

The BMW Smurf goo works well too :D

DSCN2996.jpg

DSCN2997.jpg

Yeah, I know, I even use them on my cars but my motorcycles are different. I had a plan to try some interesting antics today, including an exploration of the upper reaches of the RPM range in 6th gear (I know a road). Not too sure about a plug under those circumstances, especially a fresh one.

It's all good, I needed the stand anyway, PITA to lube the chain without it.

Ed, I would like to know how your experiment went, you know, high RPM's in 6th gear! I'll be waiting. You can disguise your MPH numbers by writing them backwards or something... lol :lurk:

How about riding on this? Don (DGShaffer) and I stopped to help a guy up near Lake George NY. I happened to have a few extra plugs 'just in case'. It took 3 to get this tire to hold air. He didn't want me to cut the plug down. He rode it just as you see it. He emailed Don a few days later to let him know he made it home OK.

The BMW Smurf goo works well too :D

Aye, Carumba! How about a little sauerkraut for all those sausages???

Jerry Johnston

DSCN2461.jpg

No way in hell......life is too short to even consider something that risky....I would ride a plug if I had no option to get to a new tire/home to my changer but no farther....and I am a cheap SOB!!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What about the nail protruding in the lower part of the picture? Also looks like a nail head buried just above and to the right?

Ya know, Ed, you could do what the redneck in Tifton, Ga., did with his 1098 Bayliss, & put a Shenko drag slick on it. Couldn't cost more than a hunert bucks. :grin:

I'm not kidding here, you should hear the story I got from the lead mechanic at the Orange Park dealer last night. Some people really should be denied the purchase of certain motorcycles.

ShovelStrokeEd

Tire price wasn't really the issue. The rear tire was $234 mounted and balanced. Cost was in the $150 Pit Bull rear stand, the $30 wrench for the rear axle and the $20 T-handle to remove the rear caliper.

Actually, it gives me incentive. Gonna design a break down rear stand that will be both light weight and will fit in a small top box. That or just bite the bullet and accept that I'm gonna have to carry a tire plug kit and a pump. I like the small stand idea better. I doubt I'll be taking many long road trips on the 'Priller anyway, I have the Sprint for that.

Archived