IGNORED

Best alternator belt for a '04 R1150RTP

DonW

Hi- since I've got the bike this far apart, I'm going to check, and maybe change the alt. belt. From the service records I got with the bike, it's been about 12K. Best/good source for a replacement? After market? BMW?

thanks,

Don

Hi- since I've got the bike this far apart, I'm going to check, and maybe change the alt. belt. From the service records I got with the bike, it's been about 12K. Best/good source for a replacement? After market? BMW?

thanks,

Don

If you're not in a hurry, Chicago BMW has the best prices. Be careful, there are TWO different belts lengths on the '04 RT, there was a mid year change.

Be careful, there are TWO different belts lengths on the '04 RT, there was a mid year change.

Don't know about the RT's, but with the '04 1150 GS's the switch occurred at 7/1/03. Bikes manufactured before and after that date had different belts. If you order a belt have your VIN number handy. I find Hammersley BMW often meets or rarely beats Chicago BMW's prices, and ships a lot faster.

thanks,

Don

Surely this is way too early for a belt replacement. By all means look at it, but that is no mileage.

Andy

Right you are AndyS. Thanks to all. I pulled the cover (what a B*ITCH on the RTP with the safety bar frame!!) and looked- it looked perfect. I'll still buy one and carry it...

Don

12k is most likely early, but I've replaced two that were pretty shredded up at 24k...

thanks,

Don

Surely this is way too early for a belt replacement. By all means look at it, but that is no mileage.

Andy

12k is most likely early, but I've replaced two that were pretty shredded up at 24k...

I replaced my 1150 GS's belt at 37,000 miles and other than the dust it was like new. I had misgivings about discarding it. I've read posts by those who have had them break within 24,000 miles, and posts by those who have riden 40-50,000 miles without a problem. I don't know if the variable wear is due to proper tensioning, style of riding or randomness.

Archived