IGNORED

Advise for night riding

New2Wheeler

I'm new to street bikes having about 5k miles in my first 10 months. I started commuting to work this summer, and really enjoy starting and ending the work day on the bike. My commute is 7 miles country 2-lane, 7 miles 4-lane highway and 7 mile small town urban. Now that the days are short, I am having my first night time driving. Definitely different than day time: hard to look 14sec ahead, more difficult to see surface conditions, harder to be seen, etc. I ride with a hi-vis jacket and have added some retro-reflective tape to increase visibility from behind.

Looking for advise from experienced riders.

AdventurePoser

Slow down, do increase your visibility anyway you can, and watch the weather. IMHO, rain, and nighttime riding do not mix well.

Steve in So Cal

Make sure your faceshield is in good shape and clean or glare can be a problem.

Also, watch out for deer as best you can. Sometimes it helps to to let a car get ahead of you to expand the range with his headlights adding to yours.

I'd advise against using the Braille system of night riding.

---

The basic problem is that all the same traffic and surface hazards occur at night, but it's harder to see them.

Consider adding some additional lights on the back, to give others behind you a better chance of seeing you. I like LED tail lights as well as retro-reflective sheeting on the back of bags, reflectors, etc. If you have only a single tail/stop light and the filament burns out, you tend to disappear.

Consider adding some aux lights up front, to better light up the road. First, check with the state to determine what's legal. For instance, if you add driving lights, do they have height limits, or do they need to be wired so they only come on with the low beam? If there aren't any restrictions, think about adding spots on the outside of the fork legs.

There are a number of options. For ideas, go to www.hyperlites.com.

Of course, adding power-sucking lights can quickly run down the battery. So, do the math and determine what you can add. If your machine is a late model BMW with Can Bus wiring, the easiest way to add big lights is to put in an aux fuse panel hot wired to the battery. NAPA has a durable, compact 6-circuit one for about $20.

Of course, the machine is only half the equation. Your riding skills are what help you avoid the crash. So, before you do much night riding, I strongly suggest you hone your skills with a daylight training course, and perhaps study some skills books to help you determine what hazards look like, and what to do about them. Allow me to put in a shameless plug for the book Proficient Motorcycling.

pmdave

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

Don't ride in the center of the car in front of you, but behind one of his wheels--probably the drivers side. (This is good technique even in daylight). That way, if the car moves a little to miss an object in the road--like a truck-tread--and you are behind his wheel you'll miss it also. On secondary roads animals are a big problem, especially during dusk or early morning. Again try to find a car to stay behind--chances are the animal will dart out in front of the car, or the driver will see the animal and slow-down so you have early warning.

My two cents is light that thing up like a christmas tree. I spend a lot of time commuting all winter in Seattle. Wind, rain, dark, road spray... each suck by themselves, nevermind all at once! For lighting, I've got a "Kisan tail blazer" flashing brake light, "run-n-lights" dual filament turn signals front and rear, "Motolights" (50W each), and probably 3 or 4 square feet of reflecto-stuff on the bike, bags, me, my helmet. Google those brand names. there are usually several brands that accomplish the same thing.

Here's a nice assortment of goodies:

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/products/?cat=light

After that - fix your face shield. "Rain-x" works okay for me. "Fog-x" was sortof a waste of money. "Pinlock" face shield liners are the best fog protection. While you're at it, regularly clean and Rain-x your headlights, marker lights, reflective patches and windshield too.

Next - keep yourself warm and dry. There are endless posts here on this.... Avoid dark clothing.

Finally, and most importantly - slow it down, don't out-ride your headlight(s), avoid the "wolf packs" of cars. I find that if I keep up with traffic, yet kinda hang back a ways behind the wolf packs, I get the benefit of watching them avoid debris etc. without getting caught up in it, and I don't have to keep an eye on my mirrors so much either, thus allowing more focus on what's up front....

I keep a couple road flares in a saddle bag, for that unexpected roadside stop. Bikes are impossible to see when broke down. I also keep some spare gloves, etc. for when my usual garb gets swamped. Keep a little flashlight handy.

Oh, and read Dave's book "Proficient Motorcycling". Can't forget that.

Light, Lite and More Light! Our bikes are blessed with plenty of alternator zing. I have converted my low-beam to HID. I've also added Hella FF50's with 100w bulbs to my RT at Mirror height. I've angled them slightly outwards to light the shoulders on both sides. Higher is better when it comes to mounting driving lights. The opposite applies to fog lights.

Looks to me you are on the right track if you continue to ride home at night. My advise, seriously consider the cage alternative. Just in my sphere of riding friends, I know of 5 that have hit deer. All the other hazzards of night riding pale statistically to the deer strike in my observations. I have a R1200ST that has a great headlight. I still will severely limit my night riding untill they make a headlight that will vaporize a deer carcass in flight. :eek:

I find it best not to ride 'ahead' of the wolf packs of cars. Oncoming cars waiting to turn left (in front of you) will most likely not see you due to all the headlights behind you and may just cut in front of you.

The disadvantages of riding at night are obvious and have pretty much been discussed, but there are a couple advantages. The Tee starts his work day at zero-dark thirty in the morning, when there is very light traffic out on the freeways. In my opinion, riding at night in light traffic is safer than riding in heavy lane-splitting traffic in broad daylight.

Dusk and dawn are the two most hazardous times to be riding for a variety of reasons - your eyes are adjusting (and so are the cage drivers), and the glare angle is high, so those two times are the least visible for you and everyone else. And particularly in the winter time, those are generally the busiest commute times. If you can either complete your ride before dawn or dusk, or wait until it is completely light or dark, you will be better off. Also, those two times (dusk particularly) is when animals, like deer, are most likely to be present on the roadway.

I'm one of those people that doesn't go to extra ordinary measures to be visible. My bike is quite well lit with lights and reflectors as it is, and don't wear reflective clothing other than the reflective patches on my jackets and boots. It's my opinion that you should ride with the assumption nobody can see you in the first place. Obviously being more visible helps, but don't use it as a crutch.

thanks for all the advise!

After reading the crash/fatality data, I have three personal commitments to keep while riding: 1) no drinking, not even one; 2) no speeding.... I may indulge in a track day sometime, but that is different; 3) Training - I started with the MSF basic rider and also participated in a BikeSafe ride with our local moto police dept as well as have read Prof Motocycling and the MSF book. Looking for an adv course in the near future. I believe these three items statistically reduce one's risk level significantly.

Skill level is something I have a hard time judging. I rode dirt bikes in the woods for about 5 years before coming out on the road, but it is very different. I started with a full size bike (RT) versus working my way up, and I'm not sure I would be in a much different place on a smaller bike. I haven't had to "move the bike around" in the time I've been riding, so it is hard to say. I've played in the neighborhood with emergency braking and maneuvering at low speeds... but not higher speeds. I've only done an aggressive baking maneuver once at highway speeds... no one was around, 70 mph, braked hard to see how it felt. Probably need to do more often. Bottom line... I'm a novice and have very little experience. One of the reasons I hate to take the winter off from regular riding.

While I agree with and understand the "your invisible" approach, I ride with a solid hi-viz yellow jacket. I have not added any gadgets to the bike yet, so the idea of lighting it up is one that will take some study. While the bike has pretty good light in front, riding ahead of the lights seems pretty easy. at 60mph I counted about 5 secs (visibility for surface condition(above the grade)) on the way home tonight, and that is generous. I read some accounts that road kill is pretty slick.... there are probably 3 deer along the road I regularly travel.

Slow down and leave more space. Watch traffic ahead as a heads up for debris. Yep. The comment about not running ahead of the pack was one I have not considered... good point.

My biggest challenge in the couple of nights so far has been to keep looking around. I feel as though my scanning is less effective or that I get stuck looking at one thing (like the surface ahead).

again.. I appreciate everyone's comments. I have a lot to learn!

sardineone... I appreciate your contrarian view and suggestion that I consider not riding at night. I have had a number of folks say that I'm crazy to ride in the first place, and a number more say it is crazy to ride at night. Hitting a deer or even a possum/coon is not an experience I would look forward to.

I agonized for nearly a year before buying a street bike.... in some ways I fear admitting that night riding is too dangerous...maybe day riding is also. We all know we'd be safer in a cage.

Damn... now I'm arguing with myself again. I wish that other voice inside would be quiet!!! Ha!

I ride every day as the bike is my primary transportation, and because of that I ride at night alot considering that my commute to work takes place at 3am. My advice to you is to slow down and take your time, ad some extra lights to the bike, and don't overthink it to much. A preoccupied rider is not a safe rider, and if you are spending too much of you available attention on being freaked out or arguing with yourself then you are short that much that could be used paying attention to your surrondings and the road ahead.

thanks for all the advise!

I've only done an aggressive baking maneuver once at highway speeds... no one was around, 70 mph, braked hard to see how it felt. Probably need to do more often. Bottom line... I'm a novice and have very little experience. One of the reasons I hate to take the winter off from regular riding.

I practice maximum braking, swerving amd both combined on just about every single ride. (Of course in a safe place, with warmed up tires) I'm sure you've already learned from your training that the two are mutually exclusive, but can be combined in rapid succession.

Track days are also a great way to get to know your bike's limits in a contolled, clean surface environment.

Force yourself to do a better job of scanning, and learn where the forest rats are likely to peak out, depressions, wooded on both asides, water sources, evidence of previous strikes, etc., etc.

You're already doing a lot of things right. I'd second these that were mentioned above...

HID's add tremendously to forward visibility.

Divert your eyes from oncoming traffic.

Slow down.

Really focus on road conditions.

Rain and night riding do not mix well at all.

It's a relatively short commute, and if you have alternative transportation, I'd take the car during this time of year. IMO, riding at night is a lot less enjoyable than day riding. I'd take the car for my commute, and celebrate the late winter / early spring when the light is more in your favor.

Repay yourself by making sure you take nice long rides during your weekends or non-work days. You can work it out that you get more enjoyable riding overall. You don't have to force your riding to fit your commute.

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

This may cause "flaming", but the technique works for me. One of the worst situations (day or night) is a car turning in front of you--left turns are the worst, but coming out of a road on the right can be bad also. So if I'm approaching a "left turner",lets say from about 500-feet, I slow down, cover my brake, and turn slightly to point directly toward the car. There is nothing that will get a driver's attention faster than seeing a headlight coming head-on. :thumbsup:

Mmmmm, dang, went to Coos Bay last nite in a coastal blow (30+ wind) with rain... 130 miles, stayed an hour or so than rode back to Brookings, since I wasn't wet, (Thanks Stich)I past my home and rode another 30 miles to Cresent City, Cali to get a couple of arterie clogging burgers at the "King"... did i mention rain and dark...Never gave it a thought.

Better than watching slipovision ( t.v. to some )

I've been making my year-round, 28mi round trip commute for nearly a decade here in Atlanta, rain or shine. About the only time I won't ride because of weather is when ice or snow is expected or present (no GS/GSA in the stable, darn it).

Common sense is your friend. Don't out run your headlights, keep your eyes moving, increase following distances and don't take unnecessary risks even if you're running late or get frustrated by motorists who don't seem to be on top of their game.

As for your equipment, keep your face shield clean and always have the appropriate attire for the prevailing weather conditions on hand. You don't want anything to distract you from focusing on the road ahead, to include dealing with a foggy face shield, water penetrating your rain gear or trying to stay warm.

Great topic and all around good advise. I really cant add much more than already posted. ATGATT is what Im thinking. All the gear all the time day or night.

Lotsa wise advice.

Here's my 2-cents: don't use a face shield, don't put anything between your eyes (or eyeglasses) and the world esp at night. A properly set-up windscreen will keep most solid stuff and most air-force out of your eyes without being directly in your main line of sight.

Also, don't overdo blocking sound (aside: I'm skeptical about some of the hearing-damage studies). A properly set-up windscreen will reduce the main source of sound if you get the air blast to flow over your ears (yup, not the exhaust).

As a pretty old biker, I put HID and bright headlights as second only to cellphones on list of malicious driver behaviors. Do not unto others, etc.

About nutsy conspicuity tricks, they must help, but I am too retiring a personality to want to use them (well, maybe "retiring" isn't exactly correct).

From the sober second thought department.

If you have eyeglasses (which are almost always plastic these days), I'd say to avoid having any more plastic (or too much helmet) obscuring your vision, as mentioned above.

But if you don't, maybe some kind of good-quality-visually protective lens makes sense.

Survived-til-now

There's another good reason for considering HID lights, quite apart from the increased light level, the "whiter light" from HID is much nearer to daylight than halogen lighting and it is therefore much easier to spot mud and other spills on dark and wet tarmac.

I do (did - until the recession) a lot of night riding and I can definitely say that HID is worth the investment for night riding.

You should also consider how visible you will be if you get separated from your bike and are left lying in the road. I thoroughly recommend BMW's reflective tape kit for their helmets - stylish and effective

Andy

I thoroughly recommend BMW's reflective tape kit for their helmets - stylish and effective

Andy

Andy ~ do you by chance have a link?

[slight hijack]

The October issue of BMW ON has an article about a guy who has adapted infrared technology to his bike for night vision assistance display. Very expensive at the moment but also very interesting peak at things potentially to come.

[/slight hijack]

twowheelsonly

This rule applies for day or night, proceed at a even slower pace if you experienced any heavy rains, a lot of time people drive off the road especially around corners and spread sand and gravel onto the road, can be pretty slippery or if the water washes sand and gravel across the road especially on curves and roads you ride regularly.. when following traffic leave yourself an extra second +3 seconds so you have more time to react to situations that can develop.

For some reason my brain coughed up an experience I had last year. I decided to make a midnight departure to beat a storm that was forcast to hit the desert by 6a.

It was absolutely pitch black out there on the superslab, and the pavement there is blacktop. No lights other than from vehicles. It was like riding into a black hole, with 40- 50 mph gusting cross winds. I realized that this was a bad idea.

I decided to fall in behind a "pilot car" that was moving at an acceptable pace. That gave me some idea of where the lanes were ahead. I could see the lines and reflectors a bit better. If the car passed a truck, I'd follow. I know this was impolite, but I did it anyway. If the driver sped up to lose me, I'd fall back and wait for another one.

Here's my revelation: Following at maybe 5 or 6 seconds, I could see the road under the car illuminated by it's headlights, which gave me some advance warning of hazards.

pmdave

For some reason my brain coughed up an experience I had last year. I decided to make a midnight departure to beat a storm that was forcast to hit the desert by 6a.

It was absolutely pitch black out there on the superslab, and the pavement there is blacktop. No lights other than from vehicles. It was like riding into a black hole, with 40- 50 mph gusting cross winds. I realized that this was a bad idea.

I decided to fall in behind a "pilot car" that was moving at an acceptable pace. That gave me some idea of where the lanes were ahead. I could see the lines and reflectors a bit better. If the car passed a truck, I'd follow. I know this was impolite, but I did it anyway. If the driver sped up to lose me, I'd fall back and wait for another one.

Here's my revelation: Following at maybe 5 or 6 seconds, I could see the road under the car illuminated by it's headlights, which gave me some advance warning of hazards.

pmdave

I do the same thing all the time. Works really great. We're living in an area that is pitch black on moonless or cloudy nights with windy roads. Having a "pilot car' (your term really fits) does the trick. The problem sometimes is finding one.

• 4 weeks later...
It's my opinion that you should ride with the assumption nobody can see you in the first place.

A good start, but I take it a (paranoid) step further:

I assume that they CAN see me and are still trying to run me over. I call it offensive driving.

To that end, all the tricks I can play, I will play. Swapping OEM bulbs for HID, adding aux. LED brake light, adding fog lights, planning on adding LED strip lights along sides, added reflective tape on back of saddlebags and along sides. Short of a strobe light on my helmet and a police escort........ :^) Heck, I even ran an offroad-only headlight in my old, pre-HID bike (bad Mark).

I carry both a flashing LED clip on module and a strobe light.

If you ever have to park in low visibility conditions you can mark yourself and the bike's location.

If you ever have to park in low visibility conditions you can mark yourself and the bike's location.

I've got a LED module that I can attach to my jacket, bike or person. what's the 4-1-1 on the strobe?

• 2 weeks later...

Pilot car, or dogging a car. That's what I do. Their lights show where the road and any hazard is, and give a warning if there is a reason to stop. I just stay far back.

And if someone comes up behind me too fast, tap the brake. The red flash indicates a possible stop to them.

dc

So if I'm approaching a "left turner",lets say from about 500-feet, I slow down, cover my brake, and turn slightly to point directly toward the car. There is nothing that will get a driver's attention faster than seeing a headlight coming head-on. :thumbsup:

I thought I was the only dufus that did that !!!

It does work. Sometimes you get those "creepers", drivers who like to just slow roll at a SSign or light. Point at em'...gets them all nervous. They stop.

I've got a LED module that I can attach to my jacket, bike or person. what's the 4-1-1 on the strobe?

You can buy a strobe that is used in a boating application. The strobe is the size of a candy bar and clips to a life jacket. It emits a not too bright but very visible, noticeable signal. Runs on batteries and can be purchased at West Marine stores for about $25.

I point my light at the left turner also. I don't think it scares them, I think it aggravates them enough where they see me. Or wake up at least.

Another rule I have: Only on known roads at night. I explore new roads only during daylight hours.

But that is a theory of travel that I have. Only in the day. At night, on a train, on a plane or bike or car. I can see no scenery. Thus, travel only during the day.

dc

Archived