IGNORED

Collect those Waypoints

drswift

Let's all start collecting interesting waypoints for food and attractions that we can build into the GPS maps. I've got a bunch in mind around Tahoe and Amador County. (The Bridge Tender, in Tahoe City, comes to mind for killer burgers!)

We'll have to "check out" Poor Reds together!

Poor Red's???? Where's that????

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

(Inside joke!!! It is less than 5 minutes from my house.)

• 1 month later...
skinny_tom (aka boney)

Okay, I've got a few questions and ideas.

First, check this out:

Google Map

It's the same map as in the other thread. I think that if we're gong to publish a "rides" page we should at least have something temporary, or permanent, put up that shows the different locations (with pictures?) in the area. A web-based interface means that we won't have problems with people who don't have the right software/platform/GPS. We can collaborate on the one map. I figure that if we each uploaded a few pictures, then someone who was not familiar with the area would have a pretty good idea of what they were getting into, detailed to a reasonable riding area surrounding the Un.

I'm sure that we're all proficient at torquing MapSource to our pleasures, but what about everyone else. Should we make a master file and release it 1 month out? Should we update it and release it as we go? Should we separate out the GS routes to a different file? Will someone have a computer on hand so that the route file can be updated on site?

skinny_tom (aka boney)

In a PM I received this morning, I was informed that the "ride planning" group had nominated, seconded, and voted me in as the Waypoint and Route Processor (WARP!)

So, all yous with waypoints to display on the currently showing Google Map, send them to me. I can convert most file types so it doesn't really matter which format. If you have a picture of the attraction, you can send me a URL where you store it on the web, or send me the picture and I'll put it up in my SumgMug accout for use.

In the meantime, I'll keep them all in a file to use as a "master" that we can distribute when the time coumes.

If you have routes, send them to me also. Please name them so that we don't end up with 50 'TopaztoTopaz' routes.

As for posting the routes. I was thinking that we should collect routes and then release a "final" version of the Garmin gdb file and a gpx and kml file. This would entail collecting the routes then publishing about a month out. We can also then continue to make small updates and keep them on a computer at the Un. (I'm sure someone is going to bring one.)

In the meantime, I think we could continue to publish finalized routes in the embedded Google Maps page (like the one up there now) to keep people interested. Each route could have it's own page with details.

What do you all think?

Are my posts to this forum private?

I panicked and deleted a post, as it appeared in "active topics"...

I didn't want to give up the location of UN10 as it was in my text.

:dopeslap:

Forgive me committee. :grin:

Mark.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Phil, the smugmug locations are perfect. I can just link to them, but I need a location for the photos. A good description of the location helps, or a waypoint, or a map... whatever you got. I can figure one of them out pretty well.

We can also then continue to make small updates and keep them on a computer at the Un. (I'm sure someone is going to bring one.)

I'll have at least one computer available at the Un.

• 1 month later...
CoarsegoldKid

Bony, I have several maps on "My Maps" on Google. I have no idea how you can get them. My account name there is coarsegoldkid. I don't know how to put waypoints on them either. I can provide a text document with restaurants I have had good experience with for the whole area. Here is a link to one of the maps.

map

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Bony, I have several maps on "My Maps" on Google. I have no idea how you can get them. My account name there is coarsegoldkid. I don't know how to put waypoints on them either. I can provide a text document with restaurants I have had good experience with for the whole area. Here is a link to one of the maps.

map

When you send me the link I can "save to my maps" and keep a copy of it. I haven't figured out a way to merge it with other maps-- actually, I don't even know if it's possible.

If you send me the text file, I put it into Mapsource and add the restaurants to the main google map showing on the UnRally page. As the rides are put together, I've been imagining that each route would get a page with a google map just like you sent me. The master GPS file for download would contain all the routes with corresponding names.

...at least that's how I've been imagining it...

What do ya'll think?

skinny_tom (aka boney)
I thought I did send the link? What am I missing here?

I got the link to the map. There's nothing missing.

Oh, I see. I wasn't clear. My bad.

Archived