IGNORED

2005 BMW F650CS

moshe_levy

All-

My friend, who recently came through some of life's larger challenges, has decided to get himself a motorcycle. Just this past weekend he passed his MSF course and today I sourced an incredible 2005 F650CS ABS, under 4k miles and in perfect shape for way less than blue book. Bike looks like new! He's going to put a deposit on it tomorrow if he likes it. Anything on these to look out for? From the looks of things it's a new bike that's barely broken in, and the motor started right up and ran strong. But still, I'd like to know what to look out for.

Lucky me, he's storing it at my house (he lives in NYC) and I'm in charge of adding a few miles each month to keep its juices flowing.

-MKL

The missus has the same bike, same year. She passed MSF, got her endorsement, and bought the CS. It's been a great first bike, and she even rode it 6000 miles cross-country this spring! It's not a superb highway bike but it gets the job done easily, if you don't need to go a hunerd all day. She's only dropped it once, on the first day. Best of all she's still in love with the thing!

Most of the late model CS's have a bug in the computer that causes them to die shortly upon startup. Usually when it's cold. As I understand it, there's no solution, but it doesn't hurt anything. However it can be really annoying: "whir whir whir, vroom, paaah. whir whir whir, vroom, paaah. whir whir vroom, paaah." shoot... it does start and run fine when warm.

The other down side is that saddlebags and farkles are hard to find. If farkling is your game, the GS might be a better choice. Still, Lori (with some help) has managed to install Krauser saddle bags, Trail Tech HID lights, custom low seat (Rich's), Autocom, Gerbing's, GPS, and a Z-technik tall windscreen - farkle enough for most folks.... I can't think of any other "inherent" problems they have. Just like anything, unless it's been abused, it should be a good bike that will provide grins for years to come.

I believe http://www.f650.com/ is the place to be for info on the 650s. The bikes have a small but fanatical following.

A couple things I like is that belt drive which is pretty swell: the rear wheel pops off like a car wheel - brake, disk, cog, axle, all that stuff stays put, so it's super easy. And the 4 valves, twin spark and EFI really pack a mess of power into that little 650. WAY FUN!

Archived