IGNORED

343 Mile Remembrance Ride Check-In

KMG_365

Hi all,

We had another VERY nice 343 Mile Ride yesterday. A few couldn't make it and a few more showed up at the last minute which was a nice surprise.

Five of us ended up finishing the entire ride together and having dinner on the harbor. It was a looooong 12 hour day of twisties--350 miles--only about 15 miles of slab and probably only 100 miles of it vertical! (huh, Joe? grin.gif )

JohnK took some excellent pics that I'll try to get up soon and I'll work on a better Ride Tale later when I get a chance. I got some kind of spider bite on my arm a few days ago that is getting very nasty and I've got to run in to the doctor this am and have it amputated. Kidding! eek.gif

Thanks to all who came along on the ride, thanks to those who rode along with us in spirit, and especially thanks to those who continually place themselves in harm's way to protect us as well as those who have paid the ultimate price for being willing to do so.

See you next year! thumbsup.gif

I've got to run in to the doctor this am and have it amputated. Kidding!

NOT funny! grin.gif But seriously, getting to the Dr. is wise, whether it's a simple infection, or beginnings of a necrotic lesion from the bite of the brown recluse.

2061_2.jpg

Dennis Andress

Got home by 5:30 feeling good. Wish I could have made it to the end for dinner, maybe next year. I'll get pictures towards the end of the week.

Take care of that arm.

Dennis

After I split with the group at Escondito, I screwed it down tight, draped myself over the tank, and zipped home. I wound up passing a lady in a new Mercedes SL, and she decided that wasn't how it was going to go down. Fine my me...I had a 120mph front door all the way home. grin.gif

The ride was great, with everything from the tight, technical twisties of Mesa Grande, to the perfect corners on the Glass Elevator and South Grade. The weather was SoCal Spectacular, and the LEO's were all asleep.

What a great way to honor those who fell on 9/11/01.

IN! for both. Back from this ride/drive. And I'll be there next year, if this is the only group ride I make it to, this is the ride!!!

I'll have to tune up the Yugo for next Year and show Russell the right way through the twisties crazy.gifwink.gif

I'll second (third, fourth, whatever) that it was a really great ride. Perfect weather, shore-mountains-desert-mountains-shore on nearly all the best roads in San Diego county. Great company, no problems (no drivetrain failures, can you believe that? Don't those happen in 4 out of 5 BMWs on every ride? grin.gif), astoundingly little traffic (and most of what there was seemed very happy to pull over to let us pass), and we only saw LEOs when we were already going slow!

Jamie set a fairly blistering pace (by my standards. YMMV, and Russell's certainly did grin.gif) over the great route he chose, and Leslie brought up the rear and made sure all the ducks stayed in a row. Thank you, thank you, thank you for organizing this!

Visiting Ft. Rosecrans cemetery at the end of the ride was a very moving experience. It's a shame the Sunday fall of the 11th forced nearly all the more distant riders to peel off before reaching it.

A big thanks to Jamie and Leslie for organizing The Remembrance Ride. A perfect day, “Great Weather, Great Route, Great Company”

Will have to make it to the end of the Ride next year to Ft. Rosecrans cemetery to complete the day.

Made it home at 06:00 after a fourteen hour,500 mile day

It was nice to meet such a great group of people, whom I had previously only known as names on the BB

Jamie, TERRIFIC ride!!!! Thank you. thumbsup.gif

Maybe next year on the "end dinner"...

I had to alter my course a little on the way home to personally satisfy my commitment to the "theme" mileage... (52E, 15N, Pomerado Rd E, Scripps Prkwy E, 67S, 8E). I had 361 at the door when all was said and done... And, I was literally within minutes of 12hrs, which was cool... My trusty steed and I enjoyed every mile and minute clap.gif

What a day and b e a u t i f u l!!!!! Passion and pace run high on this ride, and this years was no exception... Russell you cannot ever take over as leader!! It was good to see you again, it was also great to meet everyone.

Larry

Saturday night JoeG was going to be staying in Coronado to be close to the starting point and Dennis Andress came down from Riverside to stay the night with us. Joe didn't quite make the time he thought he might (coming all the way down from SF on CA-1/101) and came up short in a Motel 6 in Clairmont. We took Dennis with us and picked up Joe and had a nice Thai dinner. The company was great and the food was very good--and plentiful--if a bit late in the evening for that much food for me! dopeslap.gif

The next morning came a bit early and Rick "skyking" showed up on his shiny new Road King and joined us for a very quick cup of coffee but no time for breakfast. Dennis had been awakened by a migraine early in the morning and it was still kicking his head in. It didn't seem to be going away and he thought he was going to have to head home. frown.gif

We set out for Coronado and met up with the other riders. It was almost 70*F at our house when we left at 06:15 and Dennis said as soon as he let out the clutch he began feeling better and the short ride to Coronado fairly cured his migraine! thumbsup.gif We had a few nice surprises: Larry Villani and Carl Williams showed up and eventually we numbered nine bikes and one cage! eek.gif

JohnK didn't get his bike's reg tags in time but didn't want to miss the event, so he came anyway--in his car! I had given my camera to Leslie's oldest for a two-month trip to Panama on Saturday and as such had no way of taking any photos. John had a spiffy Sony digital that recorded shots straight to Mini-CD (which of course wouldn't work in my Mac! tongue.gif ), so it's taken me a bit to get these up-loaded. My thanks to John for the pics! clap.gif

Here's the group staging across from the Fire Station:

35983918-M.jpg

L-to-R: Me, Larry, Carl, Russell, Dennis, Rick, Leslie, JoeG, Bill

And another view:

35983921-M.jpg

We headed out around 07:20 and we all gassed up in Imperial Beach. We took I-5 south to I-905 east to I-805 north to Olympic Parkway: this first 5 miles or so were the only slab of the entire day! thumbsup.gif We rode around Otay Lake out to HY-94, jogged left to Honey Springs Rd and headed northeast. At the junction of Lyons Valley Rd we headed west and ran the western half with the sun behind us. The little general store was closed on Sunday, so we continued on to the junction of Skyline Truck Trail and headed east again. Going over the ridge-line on Skyline early in the morning I saw the lowest temp we would see all day: 53*F. Not too bad and it quickly warmed back up as we descended back down to run the eastern half of Lyons Valley Rd., which then headed north and became Japatul Valley Rd.

As I didn't get the ride routes together in time and we all seemed to be doing fine sticking together, we just stopped at all intersections to re-group. I had given John a FRS radio so he could sweep (with Leslie) and still keep in touch with the rest of the group. Rick couldn't do the entire ride and as we stopped where Japatul goes under I-8 (and becomes Hy-79), John radioed that Rick had waved off and headed home on I-8. And then we were nine.

We continued north to where the 79 splits off to become the olde Hy-80, rode through Guatay and stopped in Pine Valley for a stretch and snack break. We took the S-1 (Sunrise Hwy) over Laguna Mtn up to meet the 79 again just north of Cuyamaca and turned towards Julian. I decided to avoid the zoo in Julian on a Sunday afternoon and we turned to go down Banner grade to the desert.

There was surprisingly little traffic and what there was--even more surprisingly--almost always made room to let us pass. Well . . . the bikes, that is, as John had a little more trouble in his SUV!! dopeslap.gifgrin.gif The weather was unbelievably wonderful! It ranged between 64*F and 76*F all day with a short dip below 60 (over Skyline) and a brief excursion into the low 90's (in Anza Borrego Desert). There were no crashes and no mechanical failures. Everyone did a bang-up job riding some VERY challenging roads--for hundreds of miles--and held up well for what can be a very long day! Right, Joe??!! grin.gif

After descending Banner Grade we gassed up in Borrego for $3.60/gallon! eek.gif Someone mentioned that they'd like to take a few pics on the next leg so we stopped halfway up Montezuma Grade (S-22) at a desert overlook. Montezuma Grade goes from roughly 700 feet to 4200 feet in about 12 miles, the perfectly curved road clinging to the fairly barren hillside overlooking the desert and out to the Salton Sea: hence the nickname "The Glass Elevator". Here's a view of the pullout:

35983923-M.jpg

. . . and another of more of the view:

35983924-M.jpg

The air was fairly clear for this time of year and you could clearly see the Salton Sea on the horizon. While we were stopped and captivated by the view, Russell took the opportunity to run the Glass Elevator again! grin.gif

35983926-M.jpg

We continued up S-22 to S-2 and on to Hy-79, headed south to Hy-76 and west to Palomar Mountain's famous South Grade Rd. There was again surprisingly little traffic (I was dreading doing this ride on a weekend), and we stopped at Mother's for another stretch break. We pulled up behind another RT and ran into Michael (drmrbooy), and also saw a new K1200S. After Leslie bought some hand-made soap at one of the gift-shops, we headed back down East Grade to Hy-76 and back to the Hideout at the entrance to the wonderful and challenging Mesa Grande Rd. The Hideout is a Harley bar and restaurant that is only open on weekends and it was crawling with chrome and leather fringe. We went past the first entrance so we could double-back and cruise the street in front of the parking area. It was fun to watch the heads turn as eight stealthy Beemers and an SUV cruised quietly by and on to Mesa Grande--and no one stopped for a beer! WTF??!! eek.gifgrin.gif

Aside from a few cruisers and a dirt bike over-riding their abilities coming the other way--on the wrong side of the road! dopeslap.gif -- Mesa Grande was empty and we headed to the Apple Country restaurant in Santa Ysabel for lunch. Here we are breaking bread:

35983931-M.jpg

. . . and here we are posing for a group shot ready to set out on the second half of the ride!

35983935-M.jpg

We gassed up the bikes and Dennis and Carl had to head north from here, so we said our goodbyes and they took off north on the 79. And then we were seven.

From SY, we took 67 to Old Julian Highway, through the SD Country Estates where I promptly got us all lost as the roads and changes are too new to show up properly on my GPS. Larry came to our rescue and dead-reckoned us back to the main road. Note to self: I've either got to up-date my map set or stop letting people talk me into taking that short-cut--I get lost every time! dopeslap.gif

Russell split off for home as we crossed I-15, and then we were six.

We took Dye Rd to Highland Valley Rd (a few cars this time frown.gif ) to Bandy Canyon to Hy-78 (by the Wild Animal Park) and then San Pasqual Rd to Via Rancho Prkwy, Del Dios Parkwy north to Harmony Grove Rd and Questhaven through Elfin Forest to La Costa along the Batiquitos Lagoon all the way to the beach and Old Coast Hywy 101 just north of Leucadia. The ride through Elfin Forest/Harmony Grove area was kind of a trip as that area had burned to the ground just a few years back and has since been developed in a mad-dash of rich, yuppy ticky-tacky houses that are not quite all occupied yet. It was a great way to cut to the coast and avoid the snarls of traffic in North County, but as we rode through the wide and empty streets I got kind of an eerie feeling like Charlton Heston in "The Omega Man" wandering the empty streets of a formerly bustling city. eek.gif

We cruised along the boulevard through all the little coastal communities (Leucadia, Encinitas, Cardiff-by-the-Sea, Solana Beach, Del Mar, Torrey Pines, La Jolla, etc.) heading for Point Loma. Larry split off at the foot of Torrey Pines heading east to home, and then we were five.

We decided to by-pass the snarl along La Jolla's coastal drive and instead from Torrey Pines Rd., cut over Mount Soledad to make a stop at the "Controversial Public War Memorial":

35983940-M.jpg

While that may look like a blatant symbol promoting Christianity on City owned public land, rest assured, the postage sized piece of dirt directly under the cross was sold to a private group to avoid any conflict with the First Amendment barring governmental "establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof . . . ". Its presence there as a "generic war memorial" has been in the courts for the last dozen years or more, been voted on in numerous referenda, but there it stays while the lawyers on both sides continue to drag various legal permutations through the courts and the tax payers continue to foot the bill. tongue.gif The 360* view from the top is pretty awesome, though!

35983944-M.jpg

We continued down to Pacific Beach and cut across Mission Bay at Ingraham, to Nimitz to Catalina and almost all the way to the tip of Point Loma arriving at Ft Rosecrans Cemetary almost an hour before sunset.

35983947-M.jpg

The shifting light and shadows as the sun set over the water played beautifully on the stones, grass and wind sculpted trees.

35983953-M.jpg

John captured some very beautiful shots of the cemetary during the fading light.

35983956-M.jpg

35983964-M.jpg

35983966-M.jpg

35983971-M.jpg

We strolled through the stones, reflecting on the purpose of the ride, recapping the day and sharing our thoughts. When the sun finally went behind a distant cloud bank on the horizon we headed back to the bikes.

35983978-M.jpg

Just as the sun disappeared below the water, Leslie claimed to see "The Green Flash" again and "I just missed it" as my back was turned--though I've yet to see it--nor have I ever seen the Loch Ness Monster or Big Foot! tongue.gif

We rode back to the harbor and the remaining five of us had a delicious dinner at the Pt Loma Cafe. John had brought a wonderful bottle of wine to share, but as the restaurant would not let us open it and we were all too tired to risk it, he followed Leslie and I home and the three of us shared it. Just so Bill and Joe won't feel too bad: it sucked! grin.gif

Actually, it was one of the best wines I've had in a LONG time! It was a "Cinq Vignobles" blend of five different grapes from different vineyards from the Joseph Filippi winery in Rancho Cucamonga (isn't that a great name for a town? grin.gif ) near where John lives in Alta Loma. Thanks again, John!! It was a wonderful cap to a wonderful day. clap.gif

My thanks to Leslie for being a fantastic rider and partner and an AWESOME sweep!

My GPS showed 351 miles for the day. thumbsup.gif

Also thanks to all who rode with us and we'll do it again next year again on a Monday! See you then. smile.gif

Jamie,

Great write-up and fantastic pictures. Wish I'd have known you guys were passing through the estates here in Ramona. Would have loved to have you all stop by for a cool drink and maybe a game of pool. Maybe next time.

Rick

why is the Kreb's cycle

1191103-M.gif

in your signature, if i might ask?

i had the honor meeting Hans Krebs when he gave a lecturer at the University of Miami in 1982 (approx.)

i still have his autograph on the diagram of HIS cycle in my book

greg

Gee I always thought it was a play on words from

"Dobbie Gillis".

Jack

You're both right. I'll let Jamie explain. He's probably at work right now rescuing kittens out of trees or something. cool.gif

Allow me to round out this hijack with an explanation.

A few years back Jamie was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma and had to go through six months of chemo therapy. Throughout that and for the eleven frustrating months of being off work, this site helped to sustain him. The knowledge and laughter he found here were some of the best medicine ever.

During this time he got very serious about wanting an RT. As soon as chemo was done and he was feeling better, that purchase was made. Since chemo is designed to wipe out cells in all of their various stages of development (the Krebs Cycle), chosing that as a name for his new bike was a natural. Maynard, of course is from Maynard G. Krebs of the old Dobie Gillis show thus also a natural. The fact that the word Krebs in German means cancer added to the fun. Just to top it off the bike was produced in July making it a (you guessed it) Cancer. smile.gif

By the way, very cool about meeting Krebs, Greg.

[/hijack]

Well...Lucy?! I'm ho-ome! Leslie and Jamie, Thanks for the Wonderful Ride! What a special way to remember that day. And the ride itself was most memorable, especially that stop on the Glass Elevator overlooking the Anza-Borrego. That and the 2,000,000 twisties...no wonder I felt like I was still swaying back-and-forth, like having been "on a boat" as John suggested, when we sat down to dinner! The ride home through Joshua Tree and Death Valley (without a helmet and traffic) is another special memory, and that has me looking forward to January's Death Valley Days' ride! And to my fellow riders, thanks for the company that day...it was a pleasure to meet and ride with all of you.

Dennis Andress

Jamie and Leslie,

Thanks for a wonderful ride! The migraine part was rough but nothing a K bike can't fix. I'm seriously thinking of a vanity tag that says: HEILT (heals).

I recently dropped my trusty Nikon FM2. I found a good deal on EBay for an FE2 with a 35-105 lens and other goodies. This was my first outing with the FE2, I like it. Digital? I'm an analog man in a digital world...

An "Oh Dark 30" show time.

36209265-M.jpg

Our first stop.

36209261-M.jpg

Action shot. John and his cage are behind the sign on the left.

36209267-M.jpg

I can't remember a clearer day on the Glass Elevator.

36209269-M.jpg

Larry

36209264-M.jpg

What can I say?

36209263-M.jpg

Thanks again for your hospitality!

Nice pics, Dennis! It was a great time and so glad all of you had fun as well!

As for my arm, something bit me (could've been a spider or mite or some other insect), but I got the test results back today and it gave me an ordinary run-of-the-mill staph infection. I've been on Amoxycillin since Sunday night and it seems to be knocking it back. The swelling is 80% gone as well as is the redness, and the central chancre has stopped growing and is starting to dry up. Wooooo, nasty! I can see now how folks in the Middle Ages lived an average of 35 years--one little flea-bite and you're toast! eek.gif

The ride home through Joshua Tree and Death Valley (without a helmet and traffic) is another special memory, and that has me looking forward to January's Death Valley Days' ride!

eek.gif Last time I checked Joshua Tree and Death Valley were still in California. I'm assuming, of course that your Helmet was stolen at a gas station or something.eek.gif

*Special note: This is NOT a helmet thread. Just some gentle chiding of a new found friend. tongue.gif

Allow me to round out this hijack with an explanation.

A few years back Jamie was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma and had to go through six months of chemo therapy. Throughout that and for the eleven frustrating months of being off work, this site helped to sustain him. The knowledge and laughter he found here were some of the best medicine ever.

During this time he got very serious about wanting an RT. As soon as chemo was done and he was feeling better, that purchase was made. Since chemo is designed to wipe out cells in all of their various stages of development (the Krebs Cycle), chosing that as a name for his new bike was a natural. Maynard, of course is from Maynard G. Krebs of the old Dobie Gillis show thus also a natural. The fact that the word Krebs in German means cancer added to the fun. Just to top it off the bike was produced in July making it a (you guessed it) Cancer. smile.gif

By the way, very cool about meeting Krebs, Greg.

[/hijack]

thanks for that explanation.

my prayers and thoughts are with the both of you

greg

No theft...sorry for the confusion. When I stopped at Lake Manly to read the historical plaque, I was struck by the absolute silence of Death Valley. I also realized that in the last hour or so I had not seen another car, let alone a cyclist. Having seen Easy Rider in the motel the night before, I had this helmet-less vision of riding across America with the wind in my hair and Steppenwolf supplying the soundtrack, so I strapped the helmet to the bike, and rode with the wind in my hair and "Born to be Wild" playing in my head, wondering when I was going to morph into Captain America and the RT would sprout a stars-and-stripes paint job (last time I looked the RT is still Biarritz Blue and my sister ain't named Jane). But it was fun for a while. Never did see another person on the road until I got to Furnace Creek!

Joe

Oh yes, when the laws allowed us to do what we wanted and where we chose not to wear a helmet. It is interesting you did not see the National Park Rangers that saw you and just did not care that day :-)

Jamie,

Glad the bite is better. Run of the mill staph infections, now where did I see one of those last. frown.gif

Denis,

Now how is it that you can get those great shots of me Usually no one catches me on camera and you got two hope your camera still works cool.gif

Very nice write up Jaime!

And Dennis, I've still got my FM & FE bodies. Great cameras. Every once and

a while, I think about shooting some film but the 20d or 1dmkii are such

great cameras...

Ian

Dennis Andress

Now how is it that you can get those great shots of me Usually no one catches me on camera and you got two hope your camera still works

The camera's fine John...

36423645-M.jpg

Dennis Andress
Very nice write up Jaime!

And Dennis, I've still got my FM & FE bodies. Great cameras. Every once and

a while, I think about shooting some film but the 20d or 1dmkii are such

great cameras...

Ian

Ian,

I carried a T70 for years and got tired of the camera doing all the thinking. After using the FM for a couple of years, I do find the FE's automatic shutter speed kind of handy. The 20d is interesting.

Archived