IGNORED

Delivery Day + 4

dshogman

Well, 2 out of 4 days riding the new 1200 ain't bad. Tried to ride Thursday with a wrenched left knee and just couldn't do it. Doc said stay off for 36 hours. So went out Saturday morning for some break-in miles. And did the same today. 600 miles service is Friday so I'm just aiming for 600 by then.

I'm finding that between keeping track of normal riding skills and traffic etc, and learning the feel and touch of the bike, it's tiring a bit. But I have gathered a few more impressions:

The bike is absolutely beautiful once it gets rolling. I'm learning the clutch/throttle drill and actually once or twice today, got rolling at about 1500 rpm. I can describe it as a stately take-off. Now if I can just repeat it every time. Haven't been on the interstate yet but the back roads around the Rogue Valley in southern Oregon are definitely a lot of fun on the bike.

My biggest problem will the ergonomics of my short stature - I'm definitely "inseam challenged." But I will live with it!! Even with the low seat and my old biker boots, still have a reach. Bar risers and peg lowerers on order. Haven't dropped it yet but steadying it in most stopping and slow speed operations is at best tentative. But I will live with it!!

Had an opportunity to test the ABS as a car in front of me stopped suddenly when someone was trying to back out from a driveway on the right. Both cars just stopped and did the Alphonse/Gaston routine. Meanwhile I have pulled on the brake, scrubbed off speed and did a swerve to the left, hit the throttle and was by them in what felt like a second. As I continued down the road standing on the pegs -to let the pants dry a bit, I wondered - did I only use two fingers on the brake as dealer Craig told me or did I grab a handful? Cannot for the life of me remember. crazy.gif

Ah, wildlife report: Saturday, a deer on the right side of the road took a look at me as I slowed down to pass by and darted off to the right (thankfully). Now I know it's not the loud pipes so it must be something else and the only thing I can think of is the RED color - a deer chaser. And then today, a wild turkey on the left side of the road looked at me and all I could think of was the stories of riders having large birds fly into their helmets or worse. But, once again, the color did it! The bird took one look and moved off rapidly to the left. So for all of you who dump on the red bikes, watch out for the wildlife - the red's are protected!! clap.gif

So a question or so: Side case locks - is there any way of pushing the button in easier without destroying the skin on the thumbs? Maybe something the dealer can do at the service?

I'm finding that I am shifting up with the welt of my biker style boot. Anyone see any problems with this.

And what does BC stand for?

Thanks for all the wonderful postings that have helped me get up to speed on this wonderful RED machine. smile.gifclap.gif

Hi David, and good luck with the new RT.

A lot of us had to raise the shifter position also.

I could barely get my boot under it.

I waited until I took it in for the 600 mile checkup and the dealer adjusted it.

Rich

I know it's a hassle, but if you put the key in the lock it is much easier to push the key down while in the lock to release the lever on the saddle bags......

Once again, great choice of bike and color. As far as the side case is concerned, I have found that pushing down on the latch while pressing on the button at the same time, helps release the lock much easier. One of my cases is very stubborn, and I found that the double press works nicely.

I find that pushing gently on the side of the case with my knee or hand while I push the button makes the case easier to open (it appears to remove the load from the release mechanism). Give it a shot and let us know if it works for you.

Joe

I found that by pushing in the latch while pushing the release button works great to take the pressure off the release. Makes it very easy to open on both side & top case latches.

I have been struggling with one of the side case latches since the day I got my 1200RT in May. Several alleged attempts by the dealer to fix the problem were worthless. One time I thought I was going to have to do some significant highway travelling without my Aerostich (I'm an ATGATT kind of guy) because I couldn't get the back case open....but never again. Now comes a simple solution......press the button and the latch simaltaneously and VOILA - - opens first time every time.

Thanks for the great tip. clap.gif

Alan

I also have had a problem with the sidecase latches. Specifically on the right side. Holding down the release while pushing the lock doesn't make that much difference. Supposedly, the dealer changed the guts of it out. No change. The thing that made the difference was some stuff I found at the auto store by Dow, a spray white grease. Has a much thicker viscosity than WD-40. I put that gunky stuff all in every opening I could see, constantly working it back and forth. Laid the case on it's side so gravity could let it drip down in as well. Did the trick.

I have a 1200 GS and had it lowered 2" after some reccomendations from another forum at this site. The shocks were Wilber's shocks specifically made for height, weight, and it made my GS fit perfectly. You might be able to do the same on the RT. They offered adjustments up to 3". I didnt notice a change in ride quality at all. Otherwise, Id have to use BMWs low seat height, and the lower seat was very uncomfortable compared to my corbin. It cost around $1500 but it was worth it.

Archived