IGNORED

Is it true?? 6k service intervals for hexheads?....

MarcV125

Ive heard that the valve intervals on the new hexheads are 6 thousand miles? Is this true.. Im really starting to get into these engines but if i have to service the valves every 6k than that will easily deter me from picking up this bike..I really love this engine but man that would be a huge bummer for me... Thanks for any help.

Marc

It's true of all Oilheads, after you get a significant number of miles on (say 50K) the valves will probably settle down and you may be able to lengthen the interval to say 10K. Checking and adjusting the valves is very easy to do.

Checking and adjusting the valves is very easy to do.

I'll second that. If this might be your first boxer, I'd suggest reading some of the great info available online about how to work on these bikes.

The BMW-specified interval and what is really required are two very different things. Once the engine breaks in you will probably find that 12k intervals are fine and even at that will rarely require any adjustment. Heck, you could probably go out to even more than 12k with relative safety but checking and adjusting the valves on an oilhead/hexhead is so easy there's really no reason to.

it would be my first boxer....I have only had inline Japanese 4's before and it was a nightmare when i tried to do it at 10k...removing the cams and everything..It was horrible...Its easier with these engines i guess from what i have been reading..can you please direct me to some helpful websites??

Thanks

Marc

The valves are in the jugs that stick out on the sides! Doesn't get much more accessible than that. No need to remove plastic, a tank, cams, etc. I can do a valve check in 20 minutes, and that includes a 10 minute nap and beer break. cool.gif

Steve

http://www.advrider.com/Wisdom/OVADv2.1.pdf

Or

http://www.ibmwr.org/r-tech/oilheads/index.shtml

or

look in ride planning for a local tech days.

Valve adjustments on these bikes look a lot harder even in these online guides than they really are. NOTHING like pulling the cams, shims, all that.

More like pulling four bolts to get the valve cover off, checking the adjustments, and if off useing a screw/locknut adjuster to get back in spec.

My VFR had 16,000 mile intervals and took me about 4-6 hours to "check" the valves and another 2-3 hours to change a shim. (Includes the time it takes to go the shop to buy the correct shim.) My BMW R1200GS has 6000 mile intervals and it takes me 30 minutes to perform the adjustment. I would rather do something 3 time as often that takes 1/10th the amount of time.

Well, whaddya know, there is something on the 12RT in common with my R69S: easy valve adjustments, and pretty much the same procedure. This is good news after ten years on a K-bike.

something on the 12RT in common with my R69S: easy valve adjustments, and pretty much the same procedure.

Twice as many valves to check, but since they seldon actually need adjustment, fewer to actually adjust. With eight valves to check I would guess I average about 1 that actually gets adjusted every 6000 miles. I don't think I have ever seen one get out of adjustment by anything greater than .001".

Valve adjustment is simply not a problem on the oilheads. Easy to do. Lasts a long time.

Stan

i have one more question...

TB sync's..do they have to be performed as frequently on the new 1200's as the 1150's?

thanks

Marc

I would think so, even easier to do than the valves assuming there is no major difference from the 1150s. Takes me maybe 10 minutes if they actually need to be balanced, well worth doing yourself as you can get it much better balanced than the shop will bother to.
i have one more question...

TB sync's..do they have to be performed as frequently on the new 1200's as the 1150's?

thanks

Marc

I would think so, even easier to do than the valves assuming there is no major difference from the 1150s. Takes me maybe 10 minutes if they actually need to be balanced, well worth doing yourself as you can get it much better balanced than the shop will bother to.

yea thats what i thought....Thanks again

Archived