IGNORED

Hexhead Owner Servicing?

smiller

Perhaps it's a little soon to be asking this, but are there any issues preventing an owner from doing their own maintenance (and I mean all of it) on the hexhead models? Specifically I am concerned with how essential the electronics diagnostic tools are for both routine and advanced servicing (as I imagine these would be prohibitively expensive and difficult for an individual to obtain.) I've read comments here to the effect that the electronic service box is required to do a proper tune-up, or if the throttle bodies are replaced, or to reset the ABS system after a bleed, or to replace the ESA shocks, or if the security system burps, etc. Are these statements accurate?

If the bikes share the diagnostic interface and protocols. I'm not sure they do.

VAG-COM is an impressive tool. Matches the factory tool exactly. So when you're working with the obscure factory manual you just follow along...go to screen 04, enter block 023, value 04 will be X....

FWIW, I don't see the hexhead as being much different than the oilheads as far as DIY goes. You don't get the enhanced diagnostics the bike can provide, but you can still debug the old fashoned way.

I've read comments here to the effect that the electronic service box is required to do a proper tune-up,

Maybe, if you're really anal you want to park the stepper motors to do the TBS. But it seems fine without.

or if the throttle bodies are replaced

I'm not sure why they would say this. Maybe some diagnostics? The idle balance is maintained dynamically from what I can tell.

or to reset the ABS system after a bleed

No different than the other servo bikes. They say to have a test/diagnostic done after the bleed. No one does.

or to replace the ESA shocks

No idea.

or if the security system burps

If you want a new key, yes. There might be some issues replacing a module too.

Just to be clear, I wasn't meaning to say that I had any verified knowledge of the need for the scan tool in any of the above cases, just that I had read accounts from others indicating as much and wondering if the information was accurate.

If use of the electronic diagnostic stuff is truly optional then, well, that's what I'm trying to find out. I do hope you're correct in assuming that is the case as it will have an enormous influence (or will be a deciding factor, actually, unless an alternate becomes available which seems entirely possible I suppose considering this group) on whether I purchase a new BMW in the future. I guess time will tell... I still remember the early days of the oilheads, information really started to flow after a year or two.

I guess time will tell... I still remember the early days of the oilheads, information really started to flow after a year or two.

I'm not sure what info flowed that needs relearning? But I maintain that "CANBUS" is more hype than anything.

The TBS/valve stuff is all about the same. A lot of the guru tech of the oilheads, dare I say all, was to fight surging. Guess what, the hexhead just works. smile.gif

The 1150, not the hexhead, saw the death of being able to read the codes out of the ECU yourself with a meter and some jumper wires. Even after 4 years no one has figured that out, I don't think many really care. And honestly I never thought it worked that well anyways.

The servo brakes were at one point a feared item, but many have since broken down that wall. They are reused on the hexheads.

Also as you compare, I don't see this issue as being unique to the BMWs. Aside from Triumph's I don't see many aftermarket diag tools for bike EFI systems.

Also as you compare, I don't see this issue as being unique to the BMWs.

No, I don't either. I wasn't attempting to single-out BMW, just thought this forum would be an appropriate place to focus on that brand. I would consider any brand/model bike that required a proprietary diagnostic tool for maintenance to be off of my list. Again, hope that is not true of the latest BMW models, but I think that it is just possible that there is more to be learned about the hexheads than is currently known.

but I think that it is just possible that there is more to be learned about the hexheads than is currently known.

I agree.

But I bought one, and I'm scratching my head wondering what I'd need the dealers computer for...

I think that when I bought the service manual and looked at the owners manual it states that "all boxes must be checked" (on the checklist at specified intervals) and this includes putting the bike on the motorad diagnostic computer. I would think that not having the bike put on the diagnostic computer would void the warranty. The service checklist specifically asks for this to be done. My dealer and everyone that I have talked to said that it is essential that you have the first two services done at the dealer or it will void your warranty. Afer the warranty has expire then it's a free for all. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Harry Bradstreet

While BMW might well try to enforce as you describe it is my totally uninformed opinion that you would win in court, they are not allowed to require you to use them for service, they won't sell you a diagnostic computer (right?). Even if they will sell you the computer you would probably win since it is an unreasonable requirement, they would almost certainly settle anyway to avoid the publicity and loss of sales.

I have been doing my own maintenance on my bike for 23 years and this includes 12 years of oilhead ownership. The maintenance sheet says the fault codes should be checked and that a "leak-down" test should performed. Well, if there is a fault that the computer detects it is supposed to let the owner know via the display. If you do not see any faults why does the computer need to be read for fault codes? Another point. I have successfully bled the brake on a servo assist bike (R1150RS) without connecting the BMW computer. There have been some very helpful posts on this forum on just how to do it. The rest of the maintenance on the new boxers is very easy. Adjust the valves every 6k, change the oil, check the plugs at 6k, change at 12, the same for the transmission oil, and a bunch of other checks. It's really quite easy. I have already done a 6k service on my RT and it was every bit as easy as my other BMWs. Does this mean you won't get a hard time from BMW if your bike has a defect that should be fixed by BMW and you do the maintenance? I don't know. My last two BMWs other than my RT have been relatively trouble free. My 1998 RS had a bad tranmission input seal which was fixed and my 2002 R1150RS had a bad servo unit. BMW took care of both without any hassle. I would also add that both issues happened very early in the bikes life. The seal (bad install at the factory) on the '98 went bad at 5k and the brake servo failed at 900 miles. I put about 39k on each bike and both were trouble free after those failures. With these new bikes if they are going to have trouble with the electrics it will be early in the bike's life. My experience is that once you get past a couple of thousand mile and have not had trouble the bike is good to go for a long time. My first oilhead was a 1994 R1100RS and it never had any computer of electrical problem. I had a number of mechanical issues but never anything with the computer, ABS or electrics. I put 159,000 miles on that bike before hitting a patch of diesel on my way to work. As for for the alarm system and ESA I cannot speak about that. I don't have either on my RT. I can tell you that the R1200RT is the very finest motorcycle I have ever owned. Period.

My other bikes:

1977 R100/7

1984 R100RS

1985 K100RS

1994 R1100RS

1998 R1100RS

2002 R1150RS

2005 R1200RT

I have been doing my own maintenance on my bike for 23 years and this includes 12 years of oilhead ownership. The maintenance sheet says the fault codes should be checked and that a "leak-down" test should performed. Well, if there is a fault that the computer detects it is supposed to let the owner know via the display. If you do not see any faults why does the computer need to be read for fault codes? Another point. I have successfully bled the brake on a servo assist bike (R1150RS) without connecting the BMW computer. There have been some very helpful posts on this forum on just how to do it. The rest of the maintenance on the new boxers is very easy. Adjust the valves every 6k, change the oil, check the plugs at 6k, change at 12, the same for the transmission oil, and a bunch of other checks. It's really quite easy. I have already done a 6k service on my RT and it was every bit as easy as my other BMWs. Does this mean you won't get a hard time from BMW if your bike has a defect that should be fixed by BMW and you do the maintenance? I don't know. My last two BMWs other than my RT have been relatively trouble free. My 1998 RS had a bad tranmission input seal which was fixed and my 2002 R1150RS had a bad servo unit. BMW took care of both without any hassle. I would also add that both issues happened very early in the bikes life. The seal (bad install at the factory) on the '98 went bad at 5k and the brake servo failed at 900 miles. I put about 39k on each bike and both were trouble free after those failures. With these new bikes if they are going to have trouble with the electrics it will be early in the bike's life. My experience is that once you get past a couple of thousand mile and have not had trouble the bike is good to go for a long time. My first oilhead was a 1994 R1100RS and it never had any computer of electrical problem. I had a number of mechanical issues but never anything with the computer, ABS or electrics. I put 159,000 miles on that bike before hitting a patch of diesel on my way to work. As for for the alarm system and ESA I cannot speak about that. I don't have either on my RT. I can tell you that the R1200RT is the very finest motorcycle I have ever owned. Period.

My other bikes:

1977 R100/7

1984 R100RS

1985 K100RS

1994 R1100RS

1998 R1100RS

2002 R1150RS

2005 R1200RT

how was the 600 mile service. did you check your valves..were they out of spec???

how about your throttle bodies...were they out of sync???

Semi on topic post......

I just ordered the latest RepRom. When I asked the parts monkey for it he reached under the counter for a jewel case. I stopped him midway and informed him I wanted the 2nd edition. The bulletin announcing it's availablility just came out within the last 24 hours.

Sooo, If your gonna get the CD get the newest one.

Part number 01 79 7 698 307

related bulletin: 00 018 05 (053) (New K2x RepROM 2nd Edition)

It convers these models

R 1200 GS

R 1200 RT

R 1200 ST

HP2 Enduro

two CDs are included. One Euro Spec and one US Spec.

"how was the 600 mile service."

I did not do the 600 mile service. I had the dealer do that service. Whenever possible I have always had the dealer do that first service. For the 6k service I adjusted all eight valve and sync'd the throttle bodies. While the valves and sync were quite a bit out, unlike my earlier oilheads the adjustment made little difference in how the bike runs. The R1200 runs great even when the valves go out a bit. The throttle sync did smooth it a little but it was already a very smooth running machine. Before you ask about the idle sync. I didn't touch it. The computer automatically adjusts it and since the idle is fine there's no need to adjust the baseline. For the brakes all I did was inspect the pads and check for leaks visually. At 12k I will bleed both the control and wheel circuits myself.

Archived