IGNORED

So, Who's showing up in Torrey this month?

JerryMather

Well installed new tire and rear pads, Went through the bike ,,All good,,Ready to rock and roll,,Torrey 2009.5 here I come,,,,,,,I need this,,After 3 weeks of work,,Im worn out,,, :rofl:

Looks like Ima gonna be OUT unless magic happens.....

Ups and downs at work. Jeez, I sound like "you know who"...

who'da thunk???

Y'all have fun- be safe!!

Got the DRZ's carb reassembled with new gaskets so it doesn't leak fuel everywhere. Bike is mostly reassembled but the battery is shot. I'll sort that out this weekend and then we should be ready to rock.

Paging Bill Walker. Paging Bill Walker. Read your PMs.

PMs read. Thanks, Joe, and sorry you can't make it, Heck.

I'm officially IN, sharing a room with Joe at the CW. Yeehaa!

Doesn't get much better than that!

Fantastic out there tonight, crystal clear view of the Milky Way, cool air with no wind, single thunderstorm way off to the east lighting up its clouds every few seconds and a couple of coyotes howling.

Just had the shocking realization that I never got around to changing out those rear brake pads... and now they're a couple of hard stops away from eating rotor!

Luckily for me, I think I know where to find an RT that's not using its rear pads. I know that ALL you guys would gladly donate them to a good pal who's otherwise prepped to head out on his first Torrey trip in three days if it were your bike sadly sitting in the garage collecting dust next to your new best friend of a machine. In addition, you would feel especially guilty if you allowed that buddy to drive three hours to pay list price when the same pads could be had for half that, given enough time to order them.

But wouldn't driving three hours and paying list price teach someone a valuable lesson? Would a true friend deprive someone of such a character-building experience?

Excellent, but don't forget to notice the lows, people!

Sure beats the 29 I was dealing with in West Yellowstone earlier this week. :thumbsup:

I'm sure we can find a rocking chair with a lap robe for you Bill. :wave::grin:

Excellent, but don't forget to notice the lows, people!

Sure beats the 29 I was dealing with in West Yellowstone earlier this week. :thumbsup:

I'm sure we can find a rocking chair with a lap robe for you Bill. :wave::grin:

Har-de-har-har. Listen here, young fella, I just wanted to make sure the newbies didn't forgot to pack something to stay warm in the morning and evening. Oh, and to remind myself to pack real shoes instead of sandals, come to think of it.

Pantys are packed,

Reefers are rolled,

I'd get there faster,

If I wasn't so old

Been a long time since we've seen any poetry by Wurty.

:Cool:

Wurty, that is so old school. Now it's multi-colored pipes and expensive glassware.

Rolling papers went out when Frampton cut his last album. I think roofers and yard guys still roll, but thats about it.

Pantys are packed,

Reefers are rolled,

I'd get there faster,

If I wasn't so old

so what is a reefer???

Someone who hangs around Capitol Reef Nat'l Park.

Got the DRZ's carb reassembled with new gaskets so it doesn't leak fuel everywhere. Bike is mostly reassembled but the battery is shot. I'll sort that out this weekend and then we should be ready to rock.

What battery does it take? I pulled the stocker out of the Tiger last month, just because, but it is fine. (YTX12-BS) let me know if I should bring it?

Wurty, that is so old school. Now it's multi-colored pipes and expensive glassware.

Rolling papers went out when Frampton cut his last album. I think roofers and yard guys still roll, but thats about it.

What do you mean ?? I just listened to that Frampton album and the cover still works good for seed dispersal :P

Arrival is scheduled for tomorrow. Currently in Price. I need to get some bicycle riding in before the hoons arrive. Oh, yeah, and I also need to deliver a new toy to some dude who resides in the area. :thumbsup:

What do you mean ?? I just listened to that Frampton album and the cover still works good for seed dispersal :P

You seem more like a Blunt kind of guy to me...Seeds,,You still buying that cheap mexican crap....

Since this thread has gotten so far off target, prolly a good place to ask this question: There's a road in New Mexico between Jaconcita and Cuba that looks interesting, but a significant section of the part labeled NM 126 appears to be dirt. Anyone know if it's problematic for a loaded down two-up RT?

OK, I'm feeling pretty good now. I rode the Tuono about 50 ish miles today to shake the cobwebs out, and it's all coming back to me. Like riding a bike, you might say.

I think I can handle the scenic route that is St. George to Torrey. I may not be able to navigate the Italian stallion through the CW parking gravel though; may have to just street park, or park behind Marty or something.

See ya all there! :)

I did that road some years back on a K1200RS-- It had a few patches of sand that I didn't care for and also some deep gravel--- none of them were overly long, so you could always have your passenger walk through the bad stretches---just my .02 worth

Al Schibi

Pantys are packed,

Reefers are rolled,

I'd get there faster,

If I wasn't so old

On the road Tuesday,

At the Chuckwagon I'll sleep,

But Wurty's a-comin'

And there's fear in the sheep.

The churchfolk been told,

The towns they've been warned,

Keep your daughters inside

And your stock in the barn.

For he's full of stories,

And several lies,

All for one purpose,

Your creamy white thighs.

So if you smell smoke,

But it isn't a fire,

It's Wurty's cigar,

Meaning danger and dire.

Protect what you love,

From this ravenous beast

Batten the hatches

And leave him the least

For peace will return,

Security, too

And life will resume

When this Torrey's through.

He'll go back to Cali

And he'll sell his home

Then move up to Emmett

And be Idaho's prob'm.

Since this thread has gotten so far off target, prolly a good place to ask this question: There's a road in New Mexico between Jaconcita and Cuba that looks interesting, but a significant section of the part labeled NM 126 appears to be dirt. Anyone know if it's problematic for a loaded down two-up RT?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Mexico_State_Road_126

I was up there after Ouray in June. Hwy 4 coming from San Ysidro or Los Alamos is pretty nice. At the turn-off for 126 there's an auto parts store/hwy. dept. bldg. where they keep and service the road-grader, and it appeared they were keeping the road in good shape.

The part I rode was for the most part smooth, hard-packed, and easily doable on an RT. I was on an 1150GS w/Dunlop 607s (basically street tires) and could cruise along at 40-50 without a care. About 2/3 of the way to Cuba I turned north on FR103 and 316 to Coyote but I'm sure the rest would be the same or better. Saw two different road crews on the route which tells me they're diligent about keeping up those roads, and it showed. It's beautiful up there, and a new favorite riding area for me, highly recommended.

As an aside, I stopped in the auto parts store looking for a bungee or something because my topbox latch had broken. I asked one of them the condition of the forest roads and he said "oh, you don't want to go up there". I said, "how come?", and he said "because there's a bunch of hippies up there, like five or ten thousand, they're having some sort of convention". I didn't but almost said, "well what do you think they'll do to me?" :grin:

I was on it for about 10 miles from Cuba east then turned off onto a dirt road as part of my Continental Divide ride. That part was excellent paved road. There were a bunch of hippies or gypsies camped out on the dirt section before it turned to "hard 4WD".

Thanks, all, I think we'll go that way on the return trip, sounds like fun. Not afraid of hippies, wife and I invented the hippie movement in Austin, back in the day. Literally. Uh, wait, what's the statute of limitations on possession of herbal remedies?

It's going to be a colorful Torrey. Here is a shot from Mt. Gleno.

orig.jpg

There will also be some spirited riding opportunities. The 12 miles of newly paved Sweeper Madness (from Fremont north) is in excellent condition, completely tar snake free. However, lots of cattle on and near the road today.

One other observation. There was a small area of loose rock on the road surface, near the fog line just north of Mt. Gleno on the big double sweepers. Should be easy to see and avoid.

Fernando that was great.

I owe you. I'll share my Geritol with you... :wave:

I rode right past the exit to Emmett when I was on US84 going to Colorado this past summer. I'll do it again when I go to Torrey next week. One of these days, your fat butt will be waiting for me at that on-ramp, and we'll ride in to Torrey together, talking on the radio about all the women that want you.

Just like it's supposed to be.

We have to stop by Salt Lake and pick up Andy.

Then he will really know what he's been missing...

Please do as I have missed a lot lately.

Debi and I are still trying to solidify plans to make it down there this weekend. One way or another, you will see us. It just depends if it is Me, Me and Debi, or the whole frickin fam (we need a break from the kids, so I hope it is not the this last option).

Details to follow...

Debi and I are still trying to solidify plans to make it down there this weekend. One way or another, you will see us. It just depends if it is Me, Me and Debi, or the whole frickin fam (we need a break from the kids, so I hope it is not the this last option).

Details to follow...

You must have the worst kids in the world if spending a weekend with Wurty is taking a break :rofl:

Details to follow...

:thumbsup:

Details to follow...

You must have the worst kids in the world if spending a weekend with Wurty is taking a break :rofl:

Andy, try this. Hire Wurty to babysit. You and Debi come on down and have yourselves a weekend. By the time you get home, your kids will be sooooooo glad to see you and be rid of The Ogre, you'll never have another problem with them until they've moved out of the house.

Now THAT is a plan.

BTW, depending on the time of day, I'm going to whip through Spanish Fork and take the road down to Fairview so I can ride into Torrey via 31 and 72. That just leaves me Hanksville, Panguitch/Bryce/Escalante, and Fish Lake for the three days.

Archived