IGNORED

1200RT Side Case Adjustment??

Bob_Mc

It seems to me that my side cases are a little loose. They move vertically about half an inch (when empty, of course) and make an irritating noise. There doesn't appear to be any obvious way to adjust them. The CD from BMW Motorrad doesn't even show side cases. Ideas?

I just went out and checked mine. There is absolutely no vertical movement, however, if I try to rotate the case clockwise and counterclockwise, I get roughly 1/16 to 1/8 movement... so there is a little play; but not very much.

I'd say that something is wrong with your setup, but, I also think it would be easy to fix by simply shimming the bottom case fitting so that it removed the play.

I hate to ask this... but just to make sure; are you positive that you've slid the bottom portion of the pannier into the lower slot that is designed to accept it? There should be 3 contact points; two at the top of the case and one near the bottom. If you fail to properly insert the bottom contact point; you'll get play in the case.

Joe West

The cases actually have a fourth contact position that is activated by the handle, on the pannier, as it it pushed to the closed/locked position. As the handle is pushed down, a tab extends up and out of the case and locks to a place on the frame.

You can see this if you crouch down behind the bike and lock the side box on.

Hope this helps a little.

Bob, I was going to post about this also.

When I got the bike both cases were fine.

When the latch handle was being pushed closed you could feel

the locking bar was bottomed out and had to give a little extra push and they were locked and tight.

Now my right side case handle closes very easy and I can lift the bag maybe 1/4" or so. Not as bad as yours.

Left side seems OK so far.

I am concerned because the area that the locking bar pokes up into isnt all that deep. I think maybe under the right conditions the bag could bounce off.

I came up with 2 ideas of what possibly changed.

Maybe the 2 rubber posts that the top of the case drops onto have worn a bit or settled and the case is dropping lower than it did before so the locking arm isnt going up high eough into the stop to put pressure onto itself.

Or something in the arm mechanism inside the case needs adjustment or is loose.

I havent even had these cases loaded on a trip yet.

Just a rain suit and an extra jacket.

Before I try to modify or take anything apart I was going to have my dealer take a look at it and see what they come up with.

Rich

Before I try to modify or take anything apart I was going to have my dealer take a look at it and see what they come up with.

That's what I'd do as well. We paid enuf for these bikes the least they could do is fix them if there's something wrong.

Archived