IGNORED

What's oil to add to new RT?

Clyde

If I understand your question correctly, the 30 in 30w-40 means the viscosity of the oil will act like a 30 weight oil when its cold and a 40 weight oil at operating temp. So a 10w-30 oil acts like 10 weight oil when cold and a 30 weight oil at operating temp and so on. Hope that helps.

Flash

I use 20-50 in my RT in North Carolina. We have very hot summers and mild winters here. It would all depend where you are in California. If you are in the Palm Springs area, I would go with the 20-50 oil. However, if you are in the Northern California area, I would use an oil weight designed for cooler weather.

>It would all depend where you are in California

I live in So. Calif (Arcadia, 91007). Currently I'm camping out in Yosemite. I've ridden up and down the coast between LA and SF couple of times. Next I plan to ride to Banff, Canada, then turn around to Buenos Aires, Argentina. Any advice on oil and others things are appreciated.

Oh one other question: is mixing different kinds of oil okay?

I would just use the 20W-50 if I were you, which is what I use in my own R12RT. You can mix different brands of oils without too much concern, but some of the modern automotive oils are not recommended in BMW motorcycles. The R12RT placard specifies API SG oils, which can be hard to find outside of a BMW dealership. Also, I would not use synthetic oil in a newer engine - wait until the bike has about 20,000 miles on it.

If you mix viscosities, they "average out" according to the relative amounts of each. For example, 2 quarts of 10W-40 and 2 quarts of 20W-50 would mix together to form 15W-45 in your bike.

Jay

I asked my service guy this yesterday, and he said I should use 20W50. I live in Southern California and it does not get too cold, but it does get quite hot here. I just had my 600 mile service done and they put 20W50 in there.

Archived