IGNORED

R12RT Spare Keys

Jon_M

I was not one of the lucky ones who got two "real" ignition keys with my new R12RT, which I bought in June. Instead, I got one metal one and one plastic backup. I ordered a spare metal one, and after nearly six weeks it has finally arrived from Germany. I have to go in to the dealership and show my registration and driver's license before they will give it to me.

If you don't already have a spare, best order one and stash it away somewhere safe, otherwise you could find yourself with only the plastic one for some time. I will keep the plastic temporary one in a handy place at home and put the "real" spare in the safe deposit box.

If you are ordering a new bike in the build stage, when you can get it exactly the way you want it, it would be a good idea to make a second key part of the deal.

Better call before you go.

I too only got one "real" key, which in itself is a statement to stupid corporate short-sighted tight-fistedness. So I ordered a backup at the end of July. Went in to the dealer, generally complained about the cheap plastic piece of junk that came with the bike, etc. 50 bucks for a replacement, and if that doesn't make you blanch you've got a stronger constitution than me. A few weeks later, I get the call that the key's in. Drove an hour to the dealership, the man hands me an envelope, and inside.... IS ANOTHER STINKIN' PLASTIC KEY IDENTICAL TO THE ONE I WAS BITCHIN' ABOUT!

So I raised hell.

Then I was informed that for me to get another "real" key, I'd have to state that all other keys were lost, and B(break)M(my)W(wallet) would benevolently send out another metal one.

I'm still waiting. And I paid upfront, dealer's policy.

I bitched to BMW who supplied me with a real metal key FOC.

This is a real 'bean counter' move from BMW. How can you open side cases and top box with a chocolate key.

eek.gif

I bought my RT12 in Mexico and I got 2 "real keys" in a fancy BMW anti-scratch keyring pillow style and an xtra plastic key.

As far as I know, the plastic key is a Valet key, it does not have the ignition code inside it.

Is it true?

MoroCycler

Drove an hour to the dealership, the man hands me an envelope, and inside.... IS ANOTHER STINKIN' PLASTIC KEY IDENTICAL TO THE ONE I WAS BITCHIN' ABOUT!

Oh, Jeez, I hope that doesn't happen to me. I specifically asked for a "real" key, but I'll find out tomorrow morning what I actually got for my money.

I agree that this particular twist in BMW policy defies explanation. Security is important, but this is ridiculous.

I also recieve a real key and a second plastic key with my new R1200GS. I imediately order a second real key. Two days later my dealer called up saying the second key was in. I agree this is really shoddy on the part of BMW NA. I am old enough to remember when one received three keys with a new bike and a real toolkit. confused.gif

I don't really care, every bike I have previous bought has come with 2 proper keys and a spare metal one. but to be honest I have NEVER needed the spare and have never lost a key !! maybe I am just careful.

You've obviously never been robbed while away from your machine, either. Or awaken in some strange woman's bed and wonder where the hell both your bike, your keys, and your billfold are.

Well, I got my spare key today and was relieved that it is not one of the plastic ones. I had ordered it during the 30-day accessory discount period at Irv Seaver, so even though it took a long time to arrive, I got the discount. The cost was $45. I don't relish paying for what should have been supplied with the bike, but so it goes. I'll put the "real" spare in the safe deposit box and the plastic spare in a more accessible safe place.

I got my bike, knowing about this issue...I asked. One standard key, one plastic key.

I was pissed, they started looking up the cost and procedures.

Then after all that, they started showing me the bike. I asked "hey, what's that"...a 2nd real key in the ignition. smile.gif

Thanks to the reminder from this thread, I went down and ordered my second key today. I needed to show:

Driver's license

Bill of Sale

Registration

I had to show all of these and they zeroxed the lot before ordering the key.

Joe

...ordered my second key today. I needed to show:

Driver's license

Bill of Sale

Registration

Just my opinion:

If you bought the bike from this particular dealer AND had to produce all of these items, that's preposterous! I applaud BMW's attempt to provide some level of security, however this seems to me to step over the line.

I did buy it from them and they do know me... but I was told by two dealers here that the information had to be faxed to (or held on file) for BMW and that they could loose thier dealership if they didn't follow the rules. I can't imagine that they would risk irritating a good customer for no reason; which makes me think that they were telling the truth.

That being said... it was my birthday on the 3rd and they sent me a card with a gift certificate to pick out any t-shirt in their shop so I picked up the "you don't need a habachi to cook Japanese" t-shirt when I placed my order; making the trip worthwhile smile.gif

...ordered my second key today. I needed to show:

Driver's license

Bill of Sale

Registration

Just my opinion:

If you bought the bike from this particular dealer AND had to produce all of these items, that's preposterous! I applaud BMW's attempt to provide some level of security, however this seems to me to step over the line.

... it was my birthday on the 3rd and they sent me a card with a gift certificate to pick out any t-shirt in their shop...

[Off topic]

Seriously, my birthday is/was September 3, 194(something).

I didn't get anything from my dealer. frown.gif

the information had to be faxed to (or held on file) for BMW and that they could loose thier dealership if they didn't follow the rules.

I don't know about losing their dealership, but I got the same explanation for why they wanted the documentation. If you go back in the future for a replacement key, you will have to produce the same paperwork again. I got a phone call before I went in to collect the key asking me to be sure to bring the proper documents. Since the license stays in my pocket and the registration stays with the bike, it was no hassle.

Where I can imagine a real crunch is when a second owner tries to get a replacement key.

Well, I called Friday to the dealer ask where my <other> key was, since it had been a month since my fit was thrown. Still no word from BMW.

They say.

But this is the same bunch(Ft Worth BMW) that, when I brought it in for the 6k check and called a week later to ask what was the hold up, the service manager told me that the delay was because my computer was faulty and needed replacement. He swore that's what the diagnostic program told them, and that the replacement would arrive "in about a month." Then a tech called the next week later telling me that the bike was ready for me to pick up. What? What about the test showing that the computer failed? uhh... I don't see anywhere that the computer failed... Well, when did you do the test? Yesterday. A previous test? uhh... I don't see anywhere that another test was done... I want to talk with your service manager, now. uhh...he's out until next week..

I ordered a spare key when I got the bike - it would have been nice to have 2 from the start. However, I keep the plastic spare in my wallet - if I lose my keys when I am off the bike away from home, I can still use the bike.

One last point. It may be a hassle to get spare keys but I would prefer that to a situation where anyone can get a key for my bike and ride off with it. We can't have it both ways.

I have been meaning to do this, but haven't gotten around to it yet...

I'm going to use a small, black plastic wire tie and attach the *chocolate* key in a secret/out-of-sight location on the bike for emergency access. I'm also going to order an additional *real* key from my dealer. If his purchase procedures are different from those posted here, I'll let ya' know.

Next time you go see your dealer, tell them "other" dealers give away free NICE T-Shirts as birthday presents and send out a nice card.... maybe they should consider doing the same smile.gif

Happy Belated Birthday!

Joe

... it was my birthday on the 3rd and they sent me a card with a gift certificate to pick out any t-shirt in their shop...

[Off topic]

Seriously, my birthday is/was September 3, 194(something).

I didn't get anything from my dealer. frown.gif

Then I was informed that for me to get another "real" key, I'd have to state that all other keys were lost, and B(break)M(my)W(wallet) would benevolently send out another metal one..

My dealer ordered metal keys for me, without having to lose any.. Al they need is the VIN.

Craig

I finally got some closure on this today. I called again and was told that the metal key finally showed up. When I arrived, the guy working the parts counter tried to ring me up for the $50 plastic key AND another $70 bucks for the metal one! Whoa! What gives?

The GM (who had told me about the whole "have to state that all other keys were lost" to get another METAL key) then started telling me that they were responsible for getting the wrong key, but I had said that I wanted a "spare key" and not the "main key" so the parts guy ordered exactly what I said, not what I meant. So sorry, but that's what the parts man thought I wanted...then went on to tell me that if I had specifically said that I wanted a "main key" then a metal one would have been ordered, but now he had a bike specific plastic spare that he didn't need, and the cost of which needed to be passed on to me. Besides, then I'd end up with FOUR keys, two metal ones, two plastic, wouldn't that be great?

Hold on, I said, I was in here specifically complaining about not having a metal spare, you were involved in that conversation, so what was unclear about what I wanted? And I don't NEED four keys. I don't NEED two plastic keys.

We finally agreed on the following: my initial 50 bucks would cover the cost of the metal key, and I agreed to give him another 20 for the plastic one. Hell, I figured I could leave a spare at work just in case. Not thrilled, but it's alright.

Here's what I've finally realized:

1. This is the second time in 2 months that particular dealership tried to mislead me.

First, telling me that I had a faulty computer which explained why they had to keep my bike for almost two weeks to do a simple 6k service, and that the fault was verified by their diagnostic program, but I later found out that in fact the computer was not faulty, and that no diagnostic had been performed.

Second, this key situation. I gagged over the initial price. Had a unsatisfactory product handed to me, and received the explanation that the plastic was all that was available unless complete loss of both keys was claimed. Today, from the very same man, I find out that in fact this is not true or necessary.

2. It's more important to this dealer that they cover all small losses, even if it costs them a long term relationship.

I'm sure that if I'd raised hell, I would have been told soothing things, but with the previous track record should I have believed them?

So much for Ft Worth BMW. Too bad, cuz they were relatively closer to home. Anybody know the folks at the North Dallas BMW?

So much for Ft Worth BMW. Too bad, cuz they were relatively closer to home. Anybody know the folks at the North Dallas BMW?

Right decision. Just to add to your frustration, the list price of the extra metal key is NOT $70. It's fifty-something. In my case, I got a 15% discount so the final cost was $45. Still excessive, but given the complex nature of the replacement process, not totally out of range.

Puzzling question, why did some of us get 2 metal keys and one plastic and some only one metal key and one plastic?

If all bikes are shipped with the same equipment, what happened to the other keys?

Maybe some dealers request extras with each bike and some dont. Anyone really know?

Rich

I got the same $45 deal for a new metal key and it came in two days. There was no hassle over documents or goofy business about having to have lost my keys. Since my dealer had the VIN and key number, I didn't have to show him anything. In fact, I ordered the new key over the telephone.

The dumb thing is that my RT was delivered in early April and actually came with two metal keys, but I managed to promptly lose one of them! dopeslap.gif

Brian

Puzzling question, why did some of us get 2 metal keys and one plastic and some only one metal key and one plastic?

The explanation I heard was that BMW simply decided to stop supplying all bikes with a pair of metal keys, apparently as a cost-saving measure.They did the same with the mudflap that some of the early bikes got "free" while for most of us it is an "optional accessory." I guess with the strong euro/weak dollar, every little bit helps if it lets them avoid a price hike that might slow sales. I'm not endorsing or condemning this policy, but I do think it's what you are likely to be told if you push a company rep.

They're just trying to make up for the 87 keys you got with your last

bike smile.gif

I asked for a key as part of the deal and it took just a day or two to

arrive. Oh, and they keyed all the cases fofree too...thank you CalBMW.

Ian

I got the first R12RT at the dealership and it came with two metal and one plastic key.

But, I wan't to tell you that I had to supply all of that documentation to get the lock to my additional topcase to accept the original keys to the bike!

No, I didn't want another key, just a lock keyed alike.

Stupid by BMW

Speaking of keys. I crashed my RT and had to replace, among other things, my rear bags. However, they came without the complete locks. I need to release the old tumblers and insert them into the new lock casing on the new bags. I can't find anything in the shop CD on this. Does anyone know how to do it? I see an access hole but can't get the old tumbler to release. HELP! clap.gif

Steve,

Sorry, I can't work out how to post a link to a thread but there is a thread started on 4th August titled Re-key for Topcase in the Wrenching-Oilheads section which may be a useful starting point.

There is a thread specifically on 1200RT case locks somewhere as well.

Paul

I also recieve a real key and a second plastic key with my new R1200GS. I imediately order a second real key. Two days later my dealer called up saying the second key was in. I agree this is really shoddy on the part of BMW NA. I am old enough to remember when one received three keys with a new bike and a real toolkit. confused.gif

I'm thinking your dealer had both keys all along.

I'm thinking your dealer had both keys all along.

You know, though it seems too Chickens--t to be plausible, you may be right. At my dealer, several owners asked for new keys at the same time, and all of these orders went in at the same time. It took well over a month for them to arrive from Germany. A two-day turnaround seems a little suspect to me.

Archived