IGNORED

Have 1150RT. Convince me move to K1200GT

BostonBagger

BostonBagger

I've got a 2004 R1150 RT. A few days ago, I rode a K1200S and was blown away at the power of the K motor. While the K12S was fun, I want more of a sports touring bike. Tell me why I might want a K12GT. If I were to sell the RT, I would use the money to basically swap for whatever I could get.

Tell me pros and cons. I'm probably looking for a 2003 or 2004 K12GT.

What I love about my RT are the following:

Good motor

Electric windscreen (Cee Bees)

Radio for my iPod with it's speakers - not helmet speakers

Heated Grips

Corbin seat allows backrest to mount for driver or passenger

Upright seating.

Loved to hear the response.

Phil

The first-gen K12GT is a vastly different bike than the R1150RT. Test ride the GT. If you like it and think it meets your needs, get it. If it doesn't, don't.

Phil,

The GT falls short of the RT in;

technical riding (the RT is nimbler, easier to flick), mpg (although this seems to vary, but for me), 5.4 gal. tank so much shorter range.

Also, for some, wind management, depends on your size and where you ride.

Tire life, depends on where you are, but I'd say that in general RT gets better tire life.

For me, the GT excels at sweepers, is more comfortable ( I like the forward {slight} lean compared to the RT, fits me better, (shin issues w/RT), is rock solid going down the road, easily handles (840W or more) 2up electrical demands (Gerbings jacket liners, gloves, for 2), heated seat, multiple electronics, PIAA's, and Motolights.

IMO, the maintenance is easier (but different).

70,000 miles and no valve adjustment needed, fluid changes a bit more for the oil/filter as you need to remove bottom part (internal filter), other fluids easy.

Feel, well, my last Boxer was always in great tune, first time my wife rode on the GT, "I didn't know you're bike (boxer) vibrated so much". GT is smooth.

Power is easy to use, you can pull from low rpm's if you wish, in 4th/5th/6th almost like an automatic, or you can be going 105 and wonder why it has 3 more gears.

The 2nd generation K GT is different animal.

Lighter, bigger gas tank, new motor.

For my .02 it is a K RT.

Ride the original GT, see what you think.

We love ours.

Best wishes.

I have a 1300GT and had an 1150RT and a 1200RT. I really liked the 1150 as it was more stable in cross winds than the 1200rt. Both RTs give a quieter ride than the GT

The GT is smoother, accelerates faster and carries the weight lower than the RT particularly fully loaded 2 up with a full tank of juice. I think the 1150 and the GT weigh around the same but I fel able to lean the GT much more. On alpine hairpins, I found the GT gearing better than either of the RTs and the GT inspired confidence on the tricky technical routes.

The 1300 has fantastic engine braking and it is easier to flick up and down the box tho you can leave it in 6th for most stuff. I have even (Mistakenly) taken off in 3rd gear from a standstill.

As much as I liked the RTs, I won't be going back to them.

one last thing...I was watching and listening to a video of a rider in the Picos in Spain recently. He was on a 1200GS. The lasting impression was not about his style or the roads but the solid clunk as he changed gear. I think that the gearbox on the 12/1300 GT is smoother and less clunky than the boxer.

You will appreciate that this is a personal perspective and you might just decide that the RT is stuill the most suitable for you.

As someone said, you really need to take it for a ride.

Coming from an RT i think the GT handles as well as the RT.

You need more input but the same quickness is there, imo.

Secondly the emgine is seductive and powerful, it will go as fast (as you want) but more importantly it will go slow just as well.

The new ESA II suspension is fantastic - and I will probably stoned for this, but I like the new switchgear (needed to get used to it though)

The fit and ergos are perfect , for me.

I really enjoyed my RT but I too wont go back, they are really two different bikes with the same purpose but achieving it in completley different ways

Oh yeah there is that exhaust note as you are winding up thru the gears :thumbsup:

Remember, he is asking about the original GT series of '03-'05

(03-04 in USA).

You can add barbacks and take some of, if not most of, the forward lean out of the equation.

You can add peg lowers if you need the room.

In Florida you can take off the handguard part of the fairing and put smaller windshield on so you have more airflow in hot seasons than on the RT.

Speakers?

Well, that is a personal opinion too.

I don't care for them or want to share my music w/others on the road.

They may not want to listen to my selections.

:/

We use Etymotic earbuds and they work quite well for musci/intercom/phone/GPS/aux music input/and when I used it, B2B.

Heated grips, check, and add the heated seat.

On the new model GT's the seat(s) have separate controls for heat.

Remember, he is asking about the original GT series of '03-'05

(03-04 in USA).

sorry I missed that.

I would stick with the 1150RT. I thought that the older GT was really heavy and didn't like it although it was plenty comfortable and powerful.

Did you ever see an '05 one?

Canada got 'em.

They came in Silver and looked fabulous.

Rarer than 6 fingered poker cheats.

The only comment I would add is that my '03 GT roasted my shins, especially the right side. Was the reason I traded for an RT.

Bill

Aluminum_Butt

I made exactly the switch you're comtemplating back in 2005. I've never regretted it.

Tallman hit the details quite well. As for me, it comes down to three things:

1. The power, relative to the RT, is exhilarating. I live in IL - most of my riding is in a straight line. Straight line acceleration is more useful/fun for me than flickability. As tallman said, the first gen GT excels at sweepers, but is harder to handle in the technical stuff.

2. The smoothness is amazing. It's like riding butter. There's a little buzziness at 4200 rpm, but otherwise it's SMOOTH. My RT was buzzy everywhere EXCEPT 4200 rpm! Some people like the "character" of the boxer - I say it's a character flaw! :grin: It's a matter of personal taste, but I'll likely never own a twin of any brand again.

3. The ride position. I was actually afraid of the ride position at first, and thought it was a risk. But the slight forward lean has proven to me far more comfortable for me on long trips than the RT was. Plus the stock "comfort seat" is quite comfortable for me all day. The RT seat sucked for me. If you haven't been exposed to "Master Yoda's Riding Position" on this board, be sure to search for it and read up on it - it's important for this riding position.

Some say the K's are harder to work on. This summer, I've done everything on the 12K/annual service list, except the valves. I have confidence I can check the valves, but I'd probably take it to the dealer for an actual adjustment. I am far from an experienced mechanic - if I can do it, any reasonably handy person can.

One more point - the 03 and 04 GT had stock cruise control and heated seat. :clap:

Good luck with your decision!

I had a Piedmont Red, 2005 RT for 3 years. Loved it, fabulous bike but I outgrew the performance envelope -HATE the 8000RPM electronic Nanny!! I now own an 09 Apple Red Metallic K1300GT....I believe it won't be possible to out grow the performance envelope! Smooth, fast, flickable if you know it needs a bit of...shall we say "Attitude" on the pilot's part to hustle it around. It certainly is a corner carver like: way down low lean angles and asphalt kissing personality if you really want to play, which I do every day here in North Carolina! The RT seating was a bit cramped for me and was Hell on wheels whenever my "Rrhoids" flared up! The K-bike has a much longer, flatter seating platform and remarkably better squiggle room to get comfy...even at the tender age of 57 w/occasional raging rrhoids! (Thank God for Prep H...I know TMI!) Never-the-less, I am a huge fan of the evolution of this KGT series, deserves all your attention and more -Take one for an extended demo and you'll never turn back! The 1200's are sweet but save your pennies and get you that 1300 GT instead!!

I've got a 2004 R1150 RT. A few days ago, I rode a K1200S and was blown away at the power of the K motor. While the K12S was fun, I want more of a sports touring bike. Tell me why I might want a K12GT. If I were to sell the RT, I would use the money to basically swap for whatever I could get.

Tell me pros and cons. I'm probably looking for a 2003 or 2004 K12GT.

What I love about my RT are the following:

Good motor

Electric windscreen (Cee Bees)

Radio for my iPod with it's speakers - not helmet speakers

Heated Grips

Corbin seat allows backrest to mount for driver or passenger

Upright seating.

Loved to hear the response.

Phil

If you can't tell after the test ride, then the bike is not for you. Keep looking.

I made this switch one year ago. I loved my 1150RT but the K12GT surpasses it in so many ways that I'd never go back. It's smoother, more powerful, far better lights (with the HID) and, for me, a HUGE difference is cruise control, not available on the older RT. For me, the difference is in how I feel at the end of a 400-500 mile day. Coming off the GT, I feel much fresher. I love the RTs but the difference between these two bikes is dramatic.

Oh, and performance-wise, NO comparison. I rode my 115oRT from Mass to Colorado last year and on my way through Wyoming at high speed, the RT actually ran out of engine. I hit equilibrium between full throttle and wind/tire/weight resistance. It simply wouldn't go any faster. The GT would add a good 40 mph over where I was and would also give a huge margin of safety in passing situations on the interstate. The power difference is very noticeable and the GT's power is very useable and welcome.

The engine is the thing. Unless you're totally in love w/ the boxer concept, the K motor is a whole new thing-smoothness, torque, power. I loved the elemental nature of my RT, but the K feels a whole generation more refined.

The other thing is the c of g, which seem much better on the K. The bikes are still tippy on the sidestand, mine has fallen while opening/closing a bag, but if you're inseam challenged your'll be much more comfortable at off camber stops with the K.

I made this switch one year ago. I loved my 1150RT but the K12GT surpasses it in so many ways that I'd never go back. It's smoother, more powerful, far better lights (with the HID) and, for me, a HUGE difference is cruise control, not available on the older RT. For me, the difference is in how I feel at the end of a 400-500 mile day. Coming off the GT, I feel much fresher. I love the RTs but the difference between these two bikes is dramatic.

Oh, and performance-wise, NO comparison. I rode my 115oRT from Mass to Colorado last year and on my way through Wyoming at high speed, the RT actually ran out of engine. I hit equilibrium between full throttle and wind/tire/weight resistance. It simply wouldn't go any faster. The GT would add a good 40 mph over where I was and would also give a huge margin of safety in passing situations on the interstate. The power difference is very noticeable and the GT's power is very useable and welcome.

you took the words right outta my mouth

• 6 months later...
BostonBagger

Wow - I didn't expect such good comments. All have been amazing and make me want to run out and get the GT. I'm thinking I can afford an 06 KGT. This is the first year after a change. Any problems with this new motor? How is reliability?

On my 04 RT, I added Hawk extended foot pegs over the jugs so that I could stretch out a bit on longer runs. They'er go good for long stretches, but it's good to prop ones legs up for a change. What do you do while on the GT to release the stress in the legs being in one possition. By the way, I'm 6'-1.5" tall, about 200 lbs, if that helps anyone. Is there an after market kit for pegs. I'm please to hear about the seat comfort and more importantly, what it's like after a 400-500 mile day. That's what I wanted to hear. And I too have felt the wind resistance on the RT and it running out of steam. I simply was blown away when I rode the K12S. Pure smooth power band. Thanks a lot guys. The info has been fabulous.

Oh yeah - do dealers let you take bikes out for a ride - especially if you own a Beamer? I'm use to the Harley world where you don't even ask. I did try to see if BMW was at Daytona Bike Week, where the only reason to go is the demo rides. I heard that they don't often go, which I think is a shame.

Thanks guys.

Phil

Dennis Andress

What Limecreek said. Take another test ride and be honest with yourself. Buy it if it makes you happy. The K12RS/GT is an awesome machine. But it is not for everybody. The ergos take some getting used to, and some muscle toning.

cali_beemer
What Limecreek said. Take another test ride and be honest with yourself. Buy it if it makes you happy. The K12RS/GT is an awesome machine. But it is not for everybody. The ergos take some getting used to, and some muscle toning.

+1 on that, the RS/GT is a love or hate it bike IMO. Might I also suggest a ride on the GT and the RS for comparison. I have had both a 03 GT and currently on an 02 RS (my second RS). I loved my first RS. I bought the GT thinking it was going to be just a better version of the RS. However somethign about the bars or the added weight that just didnt work well for me. I couldnt get comfortable. I was in discomfort minutes after ridign and the handling just didnt feel like my RS. I thought maybe it was just the way I remember my old RS being or that maybe it was that I was older. I decided to give the RS one more try and I am finding the RS alot more comfortable just like my first one. I also dont miss anything but the heated seat on the GT. I found the electronic windscreen virtually useless with its limited range, the seat was too soft for me and the painted to match cases just scratch easily despite looking nice. I never understood the logic behind painting a side case that doubles as luggage.

RichEdwards

Traded my '03 RT for an '07 GT. It's all the good things my RT provided complete with a better engine. It's a John Deere tractor engine vs. a BMW 7-series engine. That said, I love the boxer engine on my GSA. A tractor engine makes sense in that bike. :lurk:

If now you're talking GT II, then there are even more differences compared to the RT ('04).

The ergos are closer to the RT than the original GT, the range is equal or better, wind protection not quite as good, but better in warm weather becasue of airflow.

Peformance, no contest.

There are 2nd gen GT's out there for very reasonable prices.

Since the '04 is a high demand Boxer you should be able to get a good price for it when you buy your GT.

Best wishes.

JerryMather

Phil-

Just go out and either rent one or find someone that will let you ride theirs and see how you like it. They're not for everybody and no matter how much we like them that doesn't mean you will.

Bill_Walker

Unless you have a well-padded behind, the stock seat on an '06 GT is an instrument of torture (or Weapon of Ass Destruction, as one mag referred to a Duc). It's like riding on a rail. There's seat on either side, but there's no support there. Or at least, that's the way it was on my buddy Tom's bike.

That being said, if you're buying an '06 now, it's fairly likely to have an aftermarket seat.

We moved from a '99 R1100RT to a K1300GT. If I had to do it again, I would have either kept the '99 or moved to a used 1150RT. The GT has a very powerful engine and more sporty nature. But for 2-up comfort for an age 55+ couple, the RT has it beat. The riding position on the RT is more upright with better peg position, even after adding Suburban peg lowers and bar risers to the GT. The RT seats are more comfortable and the engine, while not as smooth as the GT's, has a nice sound and a smooth, sweet spot at normal cruising speeds. The RT also had better wind protection and was easier to work on. Also, we never had any recalls or problems with the old RT, but the new GT has had a litany of recall issues, not to mention how much it cost. YMMV.

I have a 1300GT and had an 1150RT and a 1200RT. I really liked the 1150 as it was more stable in cross winds than the 1200rt. Both RTs give a quieter ride than the GT

The GT is smoother, accelerates faster and carries the weight lower than the RT particularly fully loaded 2 up with a full tank of juice. I think the 1150 and the GT weigh around the same but I fel able to lean the GT much more. On alpine hairpins, I found the GT gearing better than either of the RTs and the GT inspired confidence on the tricky technical routes.

The 1300 has fantastic engine braking and it is easier to flick up and down the box tho you can leave it in 6th for most stuff. I have even (Mistakenly) taken off in 3rd gear from a standstill.

As much as I liked the RTs, I won't be going back to them.

one last thing...I was watching and listening to a video of a rider in the Picos in Spain recently. He was on a 1200GS. The lasting impression was not about his style or the roads but the solid clunk as he changed gear. I think that the gearbox on the 12/1300 GT is smoother and less clunky than the boxer.

You will appreciate that this is a personal perspective and you might just decide that the RT is stuill the most suitable for you.

As someone said, you really need to take it for a ride.

Sevenup:

Your comment about crosswinds on the 1200RT makes me think you bought the big top case. They really do move the bike around a lot. The little case is much better. I have no problems at all with it.

I love my '05 RT. Lighter, great range and comfort and great on unknown backroads because you can change your line mid-turn fairly easy. That's a big deal for me.

I tried a 1200GT and felt that the wind protection wasn't much better than the S and not sufficient for the long haul riding I like to do.

Your comment that the 1300GT is so much better than the 1200GT makes me want to try one. I'd love to love that bike, but I just couldn't based on my experience with it.

-TB

We moved from a '99 R1100RT to a K1300GT. If I had to do it again, I would have either kept the '99 or moved to a used 1150RT. The GT has a very powerful engine and more sporty nature. But for 2-up comfort for an age 55+ couple, the RT has it beat. The riding position on the RT is more upright with better peg position, even after adding Suburban peg lowers and bar risers to the GT. The RT seats are more comfortable and the engine, while not as smooth as the GT's, has a nice sound and a smooth, sweet spot at normal cruising speeds. The RT also had better wind protection and was easier to work on. Also, we never had any recalls or problems with the old RT, but the new GT has had a litany of recall issues, not to mention how much it cost. YMMV.

Rob:

I've had 1100RT, 1150 RT and 1200RT. The 1200 is worlds better than the 1150 or 1100 and requires a lot less maintenance. The valves are the same as the Oilheads and there is no low speed throttle synch needed. The high speed synch can be skipped if you are careful/anal about your valve adjustments. I've got 57K on mine. The dealer does my servo brake service every two years. I do the rest. It runs better than new. Soooo many things are better with the hex heads. Power, economy, range, smoothness, handling, less top-heavy and less weight period, easier to keep upright in parking lots, CRUISE CONTROL ROCKS!!! Seat is better, brakes are less grabby than 1150 too. So save a couple more $$$ and get a 1200 with cruise. Get the maintenance DVD, change the final drive oil every 20K and you're set.

Tbrown, I agree with everything you wrote and was ready to buy a R1200RT. It was a lot less pricey than the K1300GT, too. The deciding factor was that when we test rode if 2-up, my wife felt cramped when compared to the old 1100 and a used 1150 we tested. We did some measurements and it was indeed tighter than the older models. Unfortunately we weren't able to ride it with a top box, as we are accustomed, so that might have made it seem worse than it was.

When we took a ride on the K1300GT it definitely had more passenger room so we bought it. Subsequently, we discovered the seats sucked, the big top box backrest was uncomfortable for my wife (improved by buying the small box) and the step up for the passenger to mount the bike is higher (improved with the peg lowering kit though now her boot melts on the exhaust pipe). Other negatives compared to the RT are more wind buffeting (improved with a taller windscreen) and less smooth low-speed performance. In fairness, the GT has better 2-up gearing and acceleration and never needs a downshift to pass or on hills. The Xeon headlight is nice, too.

My comments about the movement in the tail of a truck/lorry had nothing to do with the size of topcase. By comparison the 1150Rt and the 1300GT are more planted with or without a tiopcase and the 1200 really moves around through traffic of that nature. still a good bike but skittish IMO

My comments about the movement in the tail of a truck/lorry had nothing to do with the size of topcase. By comparison the 1150Rt and the 1300GT are more planted with or without a tiopcase and the 1200 really moves around through traffic of that nature. still a good bike but skittish IMO

Agree if you spend a lot of time slicing through interstate traffic at 80mph, the K is a better choice, but for back roads and most of the riding I like to do, the RT is better for me. I also like doing my own maintenance and that's a lot easier on an RT than a K.

My wife will only go riding with me once a year, so 2 up riding isn't a big priority. I do quite a few miles with small groups of friends and solo. It's just a great bike for that or even under 100 mile day trips.

Precisely what makes the GT feel "planted" at warp speed is why I like the RT better at every other speed. Short wheelbase and weight lower and less forward. The R will allow you to change your line in corners on rural twisty roads easier than most any other bike (besides a GS) if you keep revs up and learn to use the massive available engine braking.

I don't mind letting the bike "move around" a little on the expressway. It won't fall down and it won't change lanes unless you fall asleep on it. The 1200RT has a shorter wheelbase than the 1100 and 1150 and much shorter than the K bikes which makes it less of a straight line bike.

I've owned and put big miles on all three iterations of RTs and like the 1200 the best by far. I've only tested the first version of the K1200GT and liked it but not enough to change. Haven't tried a 1300. I don't like the iterations of the new front suspension I've tried as well as Telelever either. Less wheel travel or something. I liked the K1200S better than the K1200GT and thought it was just as comfortable.

Big thing for me is engine braking of a twin, better weight distribution with the R motor further back and lower on the bike and shorter wheelbase and less weight of the 1200 and simple maintenance compared to the Oilheads. It's just easier to throw around and, for me. All the R's have an extra margin of safety or comfort zone or confidence or whatever you want to call it when pushed hard in corners. That trumps extra HP or plantedness weaving through semis on interstates for me.

I love GS's too, but you don't get the big charging system or the fairing or the electric screen or the cruise control with them. R12RT isn't perfect, but it's the best combination of good traits for my needs.

Worse thing about it for me is the looks. The 1150 was the prettiest RT in my opinion and has the bet lights if low beam is used with the "fog lights".

I'll try to get a ride on a K1300GT this year. Maybe I'll cross over? I bought a Macbook Pro this year to replace my Dell, so you never know.

...... I also like doing my own maintenance and that's a lot easier on an RT than a K.

Just want to throw my $0.02 on this.

For maintanance (other than a valve check) in my opinion it is essentially equivalent on the two bikes

- tuppeware removal is the same in complexity - neither of which are difficult, just different

- oil change, slighty more involved due to being a wet sump with an external oil tank but no big deal, use an extractor for the oil tank and there is no mess and it much quicker than the gravity drain called out by the RepRom

Extractor

16-MV2.jpg

Process

18-drainthetank2.jpg

- tranny service - none on the GT

- rear drive servicing, no need to drop (unless you want to lube splines) and fill is now opposite the speed sensor - I have to call that the same

Draining

16_Draininginprocess.jpg

Filling

81_1oclcokFillinprocess.jpg

- brake fluid and brake pad change - no difference

The RT and GT are different for sure, I had an RT and when I test rode the GT it sold itself - it fit me better and fit my riding style better.

Is one better than the other no - the difference is in how you ride.

Enjoy making your choice!

And, knock knock, on my K, the valves are never out of adjustment.

It doesn't burn any oil, it has a bigger alternator, and provided amenitites like cruise long before the RT.

Both good bikes, but I don't buy the easier maintenance on a Boxer concept.

If anything, the Boxers I've owned required more maintenance.

YMMV.

Best wishes.

cali_beemer

I have owned a first gen GT (now an RS), but I have also owned a 1200RT and riddent the second gen 1200GT as well. I like the RT, very liitle to complain about. However the second gen GT felt very agile in the twisties, almost as good as the RT, yet the GT felt more planted in the straights as well and could hold a better line on the freeway. The downsides of the GT, well, a bit more leaning over but riserscan take care of that and less wind prtection. Not much but if I were doing nothing but cross country rides, the RT would show its strength more. As for the first gen GT, if your still comparing is no comparison to the other 2. Its a big pig and will not handle like a new GT or RT. It is very stable on the freeway and in sweepers. Personally, i prefer the RS to the first gen GT despite being built off the same bike. The RS feels like it can handle alot better and is more comfortable for me. Speaking of a pain in the azz to work on, the RS is one tight package. I cant ever recommend working on one to anyone for fun...LOL, my boxxers were way easier.

Rake/trail/wheelbase are virtually identical RS & GT.

So better handling?

There is a weight difference and I believe some RS's had the 5" and not 5.5" rear.

RS grips are thinner as is the seat.

1/4 miles times are basically identical w/test I've seen putting both @11.68, so most of the difference is rider perception, IMO.

Best wishes.

cali_beemer
Rake/trail/wheelbase are virtually identical RS & GT.

So better handling?

There is a weight difference and I believe some RS's had the 5" and not 5.5" rear.

RS grips are thinner as is the seat.

1/4 miles times are basically identical w/test I've seen putting both @11.68, so most of the difference is rider perception, IMO.

Best wishes.

Bar angle and additional weight up high are the only things I can see that would explain it. Not certain myself as to why. I expected the GT to just be a more fully featured RS. The first time I rode it, I was in pain after 15 minutes. Nothing I did changed it either. I tried different barbacks with no luck. I just rode the RS 550 miles in one day and it felt great. I cant explain it myself.

I have a '00 R11RT and my brother an '04 K12GT. I have ridden his about 11k miles: Colorado Rockies, Death Valley, Lake Tahoe, Mojave Desert, San Francisco. It is comfy, fast and relaxed posture-wise. I can say that if you put a Helen2Wheels duffel on the back, be sure it stays away from the K12 tailpipe...I heard that the exhaust will make the bag catch fire and burn up your daughter's undies while she walks off to get some hot chocolate. I mean, I just heard that it could happen...

Otherwise, a super great bike.

Archived