IGNORED

Does anyones AM. work

Whip

Mine works, but AM reception is horrible (static) - my second unit (first one did not work at all). LT radio was excellent & I assumed this would be the same. Had I known, I certainly would not have gotten it. About my only complaint of an otherwise great ride.

I've had my new 12RT for 1 month and back to the dealer 3 times to complain about no AM reception. They are sending an inquiry to BMW for advise. I don't think the dealers are well schooled in audio issues.

My AM is unable to receive a single station -- it is already set for USA. I'm in Tampa, FL and my auto receives dozens of AM stations. Dealer says BMW AM reception is routinely poor. Presume we should all band together and approach BMW of NA and demand a fix or refund. By the way, the FM is nothing to shout about. Welcome feedback.

I think it's only poor on the RT - mine is also unacceptable (though I can receive some stations, just poorly with much static). My LT was excellent - at least as good as car radios.

I don't know about the BMW radio specifically, but I can tell you that my R1200ST - same engine etc as the RT - puts out significantly more AM radio frequency interference (RFI)than my '02 1150RT did. The same AM radio in the same position on my 1200ST is completed swamped by the RFI generated by the new 1200 engine electronics and only very strong AM signals get through the interference. The only way I could hear all of the stations I used to hear was by moving the radio away from the ST.

Obviously some RFI suppression needs to be added to the 1200. I'd start by putting some ferrite beads on the power leads to the radio.

Rhinewest has taken on the problem with my RT12 and by taking everything apart and putting it back together they have fixed the problem...They believe the antenna is the problem...you can check yours by unplugging the antenna and replacing it with another..the female end goes to the radio and the connection is below the radio and not hard to get too. Almost any antenna will work, car,bike, Radio Shack.......

I'm curious about the antenna. Initially, I had got receive neither FM nor AM. The first thing they replaced was the antenna & I got FM (though still not great, but adequate). Still no AM - I was told the AM antenna is part of the radio - they replaced my radio & now I have AM, but very poor & much static - virtually unusable.

Would love to have an easy fix. Did the Rhinewest fix help the AM???

I think it's only poor on the RT - mine is also unacceptable (though I can receive some stations, just poorly with much static). My LT was excellent - at least as good as car radios.

Biggest difference between teh RT and LT (radio wise) is the antenna. The LT has the large whip and the RT has the short stick.. Anyone know of a good amplfied antenna to try on the RT?

Archived