IGNORED

UN - Check in!

George Brown

George Brown
I'm with Paul on this one, Ken. Kelly and I just met you guys -- no way you can pull out of the UN's for a couple more years anyway.

I missed riding with you two at the last two east coast UNs but Judy and I are looking forward to riding with you in CA/NV next year, which will be our first left coast UN. Should be able to find some dirt there. Maybe Mark and Sylvia will make it and we can have a Staunton reunion ride.

long junkets on a motorcycle being increasingly hard to justify, both environmentally

Junket?

Environmentally?

A ride to the Sierra's can hardly be called a junket. If you love the planet you will want worship it. To do that you must travel it. You can't just focus on a tiny piece of it.

You already own the bike, so your carbon footprint isn't going to shrink a great deal if you don't ride it. It's the creation of the bike that costs the environment. Just don't buy any more new bikes, is all.

Financially?

Well, we all understand that one. Thank goodness we have almost a whole year to save up. Start your change jar now.

Steve is right, we enjoyed riding with you and Donna, and being in the slow group that would stop for gas!

I agree with Paul also, no way can I justify the trip other than I had a blast and really loved the new places and roads. Course Jean likes to ride also so that makes it for me.

You aren't fixing to get a Harley??

LOST on my LT

I made it back last monday night, after continuing on to the coast of Maine, Rhode Island and Long Island to visit with friends and family. My thanks to everyone who made my trip so enjoyable. My only regret was not getting up for the Mt. Washington sunrise trip V. 2.0. I had checked the weather observatory on top of the mountain late wed. night and they were calling for thunderstorms and clouds/fog till Thurs. afternoon so I decided to crawl into a bottle of Goslings rum with some good friends instead. No worries, give me something to shoot for next time i'm in the area. Kudos to Paul and crew for running such a smooth event and putting up with all of my stupid questions.

BeniciaRT_GT

Jacqueline and I are HOME

8249.8 (gps) glorious miles and we have now both ridden in all 49 states in North America!!!

It will be weeks before I can write up a ride tale, maybe even that long before I can sit for any length of time!!!

Thanks so much to UnOrganizers for an incredible Un!!!

8249.8 (gps) glorious miles and we have now both ridden in all 49 states in North America!!!

Time to have the Unrally in Hawaii. We can book a tramp steamer, load all the bikes in California, then travel to the 50th state. I wonder how many participants we need to make this cost effective?

Steve is right, we enjoyed riding with you and Donna, and being in the slow group that would stop for gas!

Ah yes, the “slow” group that stops for gas; and still gets there first. Gott’a love it! :thumbsup:

I think I am the culprit on this "faster group" conversation.

Actually, I don't recall the phrase "non-stop" being mentioned. I do recall that the group that went out first was referred to as the "express" group which I incorrectly interpreted to mean "brisk or peppy". Had I known that translated to "no bathroom break" or "fill the camelback back up rather than stop" I would have worn my Depends, which, Kelly smirked, I should probably include in the ATGATT list.

You guys can ride!

Plus, the Express group was also the non-chatter group, which unfortunately, didn't work as the chatter group could be heard clearly because the Express was so slow... sigh. :grin:

Actually, I don't recall the phrase "non-stop" being mentioned. I do recall that the group that went out first was referred to as the "express" group which I incorrectly interpreted to mean "brisk or peppy". Had I known that translated to "no bathroom break" or "fill the camelback back up rather than stop" I would have worn my Depends, which, Kelly smirked, I should probably include in the ATGATT list.
:rofl:

To be fair, I am to blame for not communicating clearly and assuming everyone would have the same interpretation of ambiguous terms like "Express bus" or "we're not stopping". :grin:

Leslie and I may ride faster on our own bikes, but on one bike loaded down with gear for traveling cross-country, having the responsibility of bearing the Queen safely to the UnRally on unfamiliar roads and in the rain . . . I admittedly dialed it back a bit.

But there is a valuable lesson here and it's one that I thought I had learned many years ago: the importance of the pre-ride "rider meeting". As the leader of my group I failed in that and I take full responsibility. When the departure from Steve and Kelly's got bumped up 15 minutes due to the rain starting I was not as prepared as the rest and we had no time to meet before departing. Then when the restaurant got crowded and the one waitress was trying desperately to keep her head above water as my table was last to be served I tried to put my table's bill on one check to speed things up. She had already divided everything up so it took every bit as long and it meant that everyone else was already out in the rain waiting on ME or had already gassed up down the street waiting on me again with helmets on--and again no meeting. Two of our group had no radios so they could not follow the conversation over the air. It's unfair to them NOT to let them know what's going on and it's unsafe to just leave them hanging wondering WTF is going on when one or more of the folks with radios change the initial plan on the fly. IMHO, one (in this case I, as ride leader) has an obligation to stop the group and fill them in on the change of plans. Some of us had not ridden together before and we had different ranges with respect to gas tank and bladder capacity. This is no one's fault--but it must be recognized and addressed ahead of time in the rider meeting to avoid problems (I did not do that). True, some of us were perhaps not being honest with ourselves about our preferences/needs/limitations and a group relies on its members' candor to get down the road in a timely fashion while having fun doing it.

One of the advantages of testing oneself against the Iron Butt Association's benchmarks is in refining one's riding style, stretching one's range/comfort zone and knowing one's limits. I could no more "hang" with "Eebie" doing the "Iron Butt Rally" (11,000+ miles in 11 days) than some others could "hang" with Leslie and I doing a 50CC (Coast-to-coast in <50 hours). I barely managed to complete the Bun Burner Gold (1500 miles in 24 hours) ride--my two riding buddies carried me and it kicked my ass. The key is in knowing where along that very broad "Sport Touring" continuum your personal comfort and riding style lies. "Are we talking about a 'Bun Burner Gold' pace or a 'Saddle Sore 1000' pace or just a 'smell the roses pace' so I can plan appropriately"? :grin:

I've noticed that geography plays a significant part in the "default" one chooses to measure a ride. In the West you frequently need to cross a thousand miles or more just to get to somewhere else fun to ride. You can also get there fairly fast if you limit your stop time and handle as many details en route as possible. Bike-to-bike radios make this an incredibly efficient way to move a group down the road and I see now why ArizonaAl carries so many spare parts on group rides--even if you can only monitor the conversation--you're not left out in the cold. I was hooked on radios my first group ride with some of the founding members of this Forum and I can't look back. Whereas in the East, it seems to me you can't usually get as far as fast so the "default" of what is considered a "long ride" is a bit shorter.

I don't want anyone feeling bad about the group ride we had--it came off incredibly well considering the disparate group we cobbled together for that last leg. For the K-bike riders: you have a right to be concerned about gas range when riding with fuel tankers like the 1200RT's--hell, even I was the weak link on the way out with my puny 1150RT and it's 37 mpg loaded down in the wind. Know your needs and communicate them ahead of time--if it's no fun for you, why do it? For the pillions: you frequently have a harder job riding on the back--and don't let your pilot tell you otherwise until they've ridden back there for a day themselves! :P

This gives me a good idea for a post to have riders attempt to accurately describe or somehow quantify their riding style for hooking up with compatible riders they've never ridden with before at a gathering or doing a Pied Piper Run in the future. Hmmm, I'm going to have to give that one some thought! :thumbsup:

Anyway, Leslie and I had a GREAT time! I apologize for contributing any stress to the group in any way (but I was admittedly a bit "barn sour" myself towards the end) and I don't want anyone to feel like they were "the culprit" in any "who done it" scenario. It's no easy feat taking a very diverse group of a dozen or so bikes--a few of them two-up--and getting them down the road together safely over wet, foreign roads. We had no serious problems and everyone arrived safely at the UnRally--which is, AFAIC, the "Prime Directive" for such rides. Besides, if Jan hadn't needed to stop to feed his blood sugar demons, we would have missed seeing Tom "3Putt" and Joyce in Montpelier, VT! Since they had to cancel from the Pied Piper Run, that was one of the highlights of the day for me! :thumbsup:

I need to take this opportunity to again thank Paul "rocer" and Kath as well as Steve "BarNone" and Kelly for their UNBELIEVEABLE hospitality on our Pied Piper Run! There'll be no Pied Piper Run for Leslie and me next year as "Un IX" is only a "day's ride" from the house . . . :grin: . . . but keep a look out in 2011 for another group of crazy riders hooning through your neck of the woods! :Cool:

Sometimes I have an argument with myself as to if it's time to stop and pee and get gas and should the helmet come off or stay on and should I center stand the gas fill or not and is it ok to down a power bar or should I see what the station has to offer and hey look at that car over there...wander off

....got bumped up 15 minutes due to the rain starting

When the rain starts is when I stop and sit back until the roads are good, washed and wet. But, I ride alone and can make all my decisions and only have one person to complain to.

I applaud y'all for Pied Pipering it. What a tale you laid for us who had not yet left home. Thanks for the excitement and anticipation.

Part of the Pied Piper experience is realizing that one will be riding with both the stop and smell the roses as well as the tank to tank riders and all showing some tolerance. This Pied Piper run went extremely smoothly. The roughest spots were actually quite humorous (GPS Madness day, and turtle wacking hare day :grin: )

Also, everyone just praying my radio would quit as the insufficient ground isolation on the PTT circuit made my transmissions loud and distorted. To the point of actually being told to shut up... Only to be asked for info later :grin::dopeslap:

All in all, I wouldn't have traded a moment for anything else....... welllll... except for that moment in Yellowstone where my front tire was plowing through the mud/gravel of the road construction without an ounce of grip..........

Group riding is certainly not for everyone and as much as Leslie and I enjoyed the PPR on the way out, we equally enjoyed the freedom to not plan much at all and dally as we wanted on the ride home. Just as there is the freedom to do what you want riding solo, there is the . . . "magic" that happens when you're riding with a group of like-minded riders flying through the countryside and sharing the experience. Ask anyone who's done it and I'd say most have a positive recollection as well as stories that will last them a lifetime. Things like "the Tunnel of Death" are SO much better when shared! :rofl:

I've run into riders on the road traveling alone and the one thing many of them comment on is they like the solo riding, but they get tired of eating alone at the end of the day in a strange place. Many of us here are introverted and anti-social enough to think that might not to be a problem, but if you can find a like-minded group and adapt your riding style and needs to fit, it's a unique experience that has no equal.

Plus, riding sweep has some really neat views! :thumbsup:

This is the image that got me hooked:

3840.jpg

3840.jpg

Indeed....

An image from the UnRally 09 still lingers in my mind...the aborted Mt Washington run a 4am...12+ bikes runnin' east on Route 2...taillights blazin'..

wickin' it up to make up for the wrong turn... :grin:

Good stuff. :thumbsup:

Perhaps a 4am run (UnRally 2010) to Monitor pass for a sunrise...and no mooses.. :grin:

MB>

To be fair, I am to blame for not communicating clearly and assuming everyone would have the same interpretation of ambiguous terms like "Express bus" or "we're not stopping". :grin:

Leslie and I may ride faster on our own bikes, but on one bike loaded down with gear for traveling cross-country, having the responsibility of bearing the Queen safely to the UnRally on unfamiliar roads and in the rain . . . I admittedly dialed it back a bit.

But there is a valuable lesson here and it's one that I thought I had learned many years ago: the importance of the pre-ride "rider meeting". As the leader of my group I failed in that and I take full responsibility. When the departure from Steve and Kelly's got bumped up 15 minutes due to the rain starting I was not as prepared as the rest and we had no time to meet before departing. Then when the restaurant got crowded and the one waitress was trying desperately to keep her head above water as my table was last to be served I tried to put my table's bill on one check to speed things up. She had already divided everything up so it took every bit as long and it meant that everyone else was already out in the rain waiting on ME or had already gassed up down the street waiting on me again with helmets on--and again no meeting. Two of our group had no radios so they could not follow the conversation over the air. It's unfair to them NOT to let them know what's going on and it's unsafe to just leave them hanging wondering WTF is going on when one or more of the folks with radios change the initial plan on the fly. IMHO, one (in this case I, as ride leader) has an obligation to stop the group and fill them in on the change of plans. Some of us had not ridden together before and we had different ranges with respect to gas tank and bladder capacity. This is no one's fault--but it must be recognized and addressed ahead of time in the rider meeting to avoid problems (I did not do that). True, some of us were perhaps not being honest with ourselves about our preferences/needs/limitations and a group relies on its members' candor to get down the road in a timely fashion while having fun doing it.

One of the advantages of testing oneself against the Iron Butt Association's benchmarks is in refining one's riding style, stretching one's range/comfort zone and knowing one's limits. I could no more "hang" with "Eebie" doing the "Iron Butt Rally" (11,000+ miles in 11 days) than some others could "hang" with Leslie and I doing a 50CC (Coast-to-coast in <50 hours). I barely managed to complete the Bun Burner Gold (1500 miles in 24 hours) ride--my two riding buddies carried me and it kicked my ass. The key is in knowing where along that very broad "Sport Touring" continuum your personal comfort and riding style lies. "Are we talking about a 'Bun Burner Gold' pace or a 'Saddle Sore 1000' pace or just a 'smell the roses pace' so I can plan appropriately"? :grin:

I've noticed that geography plays a significant part in the "default" one chooses to measure a ride. In the West you frequently need to cross a thousand miles or more just to get to somewhere else fun to ride. You can also get there fairly fast if you limit your stop time and handle as many details en route as possible. Bike-to-bike radios make this an incredibly efficient way to move a group down the road and I see now why ArizonaAl carries so many spare parts on group rides--even if you can only monitor the conversation--you're not left out in the cold. I was hooked on radios my first group ride with some of the founding members of this Forum and I can't look back. Whereas in the East, it seems to me you can't usually get as far as fast so the "default" of what is considered a "long ride" is a bit shorter.

I don't want anyone feeling bad about the group ride we had--it came off incredibly well considering the disparate group we cobbled together for that last leg. For the K-bike riders: you have a right to be concerned about gas range when riding with fuel tankers like the 1200RT's--hell, even I was the weak link on the way out with my puny 1150RT and it's 37 mpg loaded down in the wind. Know your needs and communicate them ahead of time--if it's no fun for you, why do it? For the pillions: you frequently have a harder job riding on the back--and don't let your pilot tell you otherwise until they've ridden back there for a day themselves! :P

This gives me a good idea for a post to have riders attempt to accurately describe or somehow quantify their riding style for hooking up with compatible riders they've never ridden with before at a gathering or doing a Pied Piper Run in the future. Hmmm, I'm going to have to give that one some thought! :thumbsup:

Anyway, Leslie and I had a GREAT time! I apologize for contributing any stress to the group in any way (but I was admittedly a bit "barn sour" myself towards the end) and I don't want anyone to feel like they were "the culprit" in any "who done it" scenario. It's no easy feat taking a very diverse group of a dozen or so bikes--a few of them two-up--and getting them down the road together safely over wet, foreign roads. We had no serious problems and everyone arrived safely at the UnRally--which is, AFAIC, the "Prime Directive" for such rides. Besides, if Jan hadn't needed to stop to feed his blood sugar demons, we would have missed seeing Tom "3Putt" and Joyce in Montpelier, VT! Since they had to cancel from the Pied Piper Run, that was one of the highlights of the day for me!

Blab, blab, blab.

You’re just slow. :D:grin:

BeniciaRT_GT

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Nope, he was just conserving finite resources :wave:

BeniciaRT_GT
...it meant that everyone else was already out in the rain waiting on ME or had already gassed up down the street waiting on me again with helmets on.

Now who is everyone waiting on again? Oh, how easy the propaganda begins with a tiny fact...without the benefit of the whole story. I seem to remember this one time, at band camp:

116524525-L.jpg

Indeed....

An image from the UnRally 09 still lingers in my mind...the aborted Mt Washington run a 4am...12+ bikes runnin' east on Route 2...taillights blazin'..

wickin' it up to make up for the wrong turn... :grin:

Good stuff. :thumbsup:

I have to agree, riding pre-sweep was pretty neat. Watching the red tail-lights, the amber marker lights, (and Armando's almost-blinding HID light,) was really cool.

As usual, I was freeloading on Jamie's fine preparation of the PPR and having a literal BALL, could barely contain myself on the radio.

Jean and I could have easily broke off at about any point and trudged ahead on our own, but, no way in hell was I going to miss this ride!

On stops, Jean and I tend to partake in everything available like it is the last chance for unknown hours, including top off gas, bathroom, split a gatorade and trailmix snack. Loved it and highly recommend to ones with radios.

No one in my local club uses radios, can't even begin to relate to them what they are missing.

Picture is group as escorted from Rocer's place in Minden Hills.

rocer_ride.jpg

As usual, I was freeloading on Jamie's fine preparation of the PPR and having a literal BALL, could barely contain myself on the radio.
To be fair, I really didn't prep anything on this ride. Jan and Michael did the lion's share of the prep and planning for the first few days. Paul "rocer" lead us out from his place in Ontario and SAMSAR had three different routes laid out from Steve's place to the UnRally. I just happened to ask Ken to put the routes in my GPS and ended up leading part of the group that day. I might have been better prepared had I been involved from the beginning, but I was underwater right up until we left so I was very grateful that others did almost all the work and I could also freeload! :thumbsup:

And Ken and Richard . . . you will pay! :grin:

I must be a left brained person because I literally took no stops as no stops and told David follow Ken I'm stopping! :thumbsup:

Kudo's to Jan and Michael for the route planning and hotel picks, and aren't you glad you experienced the trains in Detroit Lakes!! :rofl:

The host homes were exceptional. :clap:

I know Jan and Michael did route planning, and they did a heck of a job by the way. But everyday we had a meeting either before or after leaving (on the radio) so we all were on the same page sorta, and that was Jamie's roll.

Some people might not know, but Jan has no GPS and doesn't need one, he has an atlas and most of the route for the day or more memorized. That to me is a pretty good advantage, as us GPS users really have no clue where this woman is trying to take us or why.

It was really great approaching the hosts, as I knew the routes were local picks and GOOD. The receptions from the hosts was special also!! thanks a bunch.

I know Jan and Michael did route planning, and they did a heck of a job by the way. But everyday we had a meeting either before or after leaving (on the radio) so we all were on the same page sorta, and that was Jamie's roll.

Some people might not know, but Jan has no GPS and doesn't need one, he has an atlas and most of the route for the day or more memorized. That to me is a pretty good advantage, as us GPS users really have no clue where this woman is trying to take us or why.

It was really great approaching the hosts, as I knew the routes were local picks and GOOD. The receptions from the hosts was special also!! thanks a bunch.

I can tell ya how to get to Torrey! :-)

:rofl:

Anyway, Leslie and I had a GREAT time! I apologize for contributing any stress to the group in any way (but I was admittedly a bit "barn sour" myself towards the end) and I don't want anyone to feel like they were "the culprit" in any "who done it" scenario. It's no easy feat taking a very diverse group of a dozen or so bikes--a few of them two-up--and getting them down the road together safely over wet, foreign roads. We had no serious problems and everyone arrived safely at the UnRally--which is, AFAIC, the "Prime Directive" for such rides. Besides, if Jan hadn't needed to stop to feed his blood sugar demons, we would have missed seeing Tom "3Putt" and Joyce in Montpelier, VT! Since they had to cancel from the Pied Piper Run, that was one of the highlights of the day for me! :thumbsup:

I need to take this opportunity to again thank Paul "rocer" and Kath as well as Steve "BarNone" and Kelly for their UNBELIEVEABLE hospitality on our Pied Piper Run! There'll be no Pied Piper Run for Leslie and me next year as "Un IX" is only a "day's ride" from the house . . . :grin: . . . but keep a look out in 2011 for another group of crazy riders hooning through your neck of the woods! :Cool:

I was willing to stop with Jan because I thought we were going for Thai food. . . instead I got lousy Chinese buffet. :P I should have known. :dopeslap:

Part of the Pied Piper experience is realizing that one will be riding with both the stop and smell the roses as well as the tank to tank riders and all showing some tolerance. This Pied Piper run went extremely smoothly. The roughest spots were actually quite humorous (GPS Madness day, and turtle wacking hare day grin )

Also, everyone just praying my radio would quit as the insufficient ground isolation on the PTT circuit made my transmissions loud and distorted. To the point of actually being told to shut up... Only to be asked for info later grin dopeslap

All in all, I wouldn't have traded a moment for anything else....... welllll... except for that moment in Yellowstone where my front tire was plowing through the mud/gravel of the road construction without an ounce of grip..........

It was fun riding with you Michael; even with the radio that made me want to "keel" you for talking. :grin:

My only regret is that I unplugged my sound and missed the radio com's about David hitting the sk---, um, I mean, the "turtle wacking hare." :rofl:

I enjoyed riding with Michael also, until he talked then I cringed like a turtle pulling his head back in the shell.

That was no skunk!

Geeez, is this the check in thread???

OK, it says "UN - Check in!" at the top.

Just got in at 8:36 CST.

Tired. Soaked. HaPpY! :grin:

I enjoyed riding with Michael also, until he talked then I cringed like a turtle pulling his head back in the shell.

That was no skunk!

Skunk Whacker, Jeez how did I leave that out of the ride tale?

Geeez, is this the check in thread???

OK, it says "UN - Check in!" at the top.

Just got in at 8:36 CST.

Tired. Soaked. HaPpY! :grin:

So Ron_B is home late on 8/27/09. So are there any of the other Unrally 09 participants still out there?

With respect to the issues raised with the near hijack of this thread: I love to ride from fillup to fillup, however, if I ever get the chance to ride with Jamie again I will plan on having an auxillary gas tank on my KRS! :grin:

Archived