IGNORED

UN - Check in!

George Brown

Still on the road. Currently at my brother's house in Indiana. Should be home next Tuesday. Great UN and always great seeing everyone. Till next time.

In late last night. Flight delayed, then finally made my last flight connection in Seattle 4 hours late. (Thanks Alaska, :mad: )

Great meeting new friends and old ones as well. ( Hi Paul )

Good roads and interesting weather in New England. Ya don't like it, wait a few minutes... :grin:

Thanks Paul. An UN to remember. :thumbsup:

See some of you here next year.

MB>

Still on the road in Ontario, heading home. Lots of great UN memories to keep me company on the rest of my trip. Thanks to all, especially Samsar. What a fantastic Un it was! See you all out west next July.

Home last night at 7:30pm. We headed north through NH to Quebec City, to Riviere de Loop, to Mont Joli, to Amqui to St Lenoard NB to Moncton NB, (grand kids) on home to Halifax, Nova Scotia, (3700 km) Thanks again Paul and crew for a great time and wonderfull New England rides.

Home last night just before midnight... route included early departure on Friday to get to Detroit that evening. Left there just before noon and headed home, after a brief stop at a friend's 40th b-day party near Baltimore.

Pics and videos to come... but if you're on Facebook, check out all the postings so far (Kirsten Talken).

THANKS EVERYONE FOR SUCH A GREAT TIME!!!

Calvin  (no socks)

In at 4:30 Sunday afternoon...10 days on the road.. a breakdown...fuel leak at tank quick release... tore bike apart at relatives garage in Ashford Conn.. fixed it with old mustang parts so I could do another "Un-documented ss 1000"... :thumbsup:

In at 2:30 Sunday afternoon. Thanks Paul and crew for a wonderful event. Deb and I want to thank you for a great 27th Anniversary Meal, the lobster was great!!

Alan

Won't be home for a long time. I'm camping at the north end of the Cabot Trail tonight. What a place!

Oh, I almost forgot...

Un Good!

Un Very, Very, Very, Very, Very Good!!!

Won't be home for a long time. I'm camping at the north end of the Cabot Trail tonight. What a place!

Ron, anywhere Meat Cove?

Welcome Ron_B to Nova Scotia. Have a safe trail ride. If time allows go around the trail in both directions, looks totally different. Hang onto my e-mail address if there is anything I can do for you dont be afraid to call, 902.229.6886 cell, 902.864.1931 home. You are not alone, there are plenty of Unners who carried onto Cape Breton, Nova Scotia.

Turf man

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Check in at 3pm on Saturday. WOW what a great time. Over 4300 miles. A quick recap. I was able to ride for three days with my brother, visit family and friends that live in the area, ride new roads, and meet old and new fellow BMWSportTouring enthusiasts. I cannot comment enough on those who organized the event, including the rides to the Mt. Washington sunrise. Ride, Eat, Sleep, Repeat. It doesn't get any better.

On to the BRR.

I can't remember the dates of the the 2010 UnRally that was announced last week and have not seen it posted as yet.

Can someone post the dates for the UN next year or send me a PM please.

I can't remember the dates of the the 2010 UnRally that was announced last week and have not seen it posted as yet.

Can someone post the dates for the UN next year or send me a PM please.

12-16 July in the Sierra Nevadas is what I recall, but I stand to be corrected.

Bullett and I are in Red Lodge, MT for the night.

Today a too close encounter with bison on the road in Theodore Roosevelt NP North. Backed 200' when a big one stepped in front of me and gave me that look. Next car spooked two of them and they bolted. Was glad I backed out.

We missed the last two overlooks, but what we saw was great!

Overcast, 50's and windy in the morning. Then high wind in the afternoon, 32 mpg kind of wind (50+ is normal). Finally light winds and sun until storms in Red Lodge.

Ron, anywhere Meat Cove?

Marc, I'm at a private campground at South Harbor. Leaving in a few minutes for Meat Cove, then down the west side of the trail. This place is really beautiful!

Turf Man, Thanks!

Thanks to Paul and his whole crew for a great Unrally!!!!

I arrived in South Eastern Arizona last night, where I expect to be exploring the general area for the next week before heading home.

I tremendously enjoyed the camaraderie and riding and thank all those I had contact with for making this a very memorable (at least as well as my memory serves :dopeslap: ) event.

and yes, the dates for next year's unrally are 12-16 July in the Sierra Nevadas. A more formal announcement will be forthcoming...

Home around 4pm today, after visiting folks along the way. :wave:

I had a FANTASTIC time and cannot wait to get to the West next UN. Paul and gang were FABULOUS in their organization and execution. The Tues night lobster dinner was yummy, as were all the meals we shared in the "barn".

Honestly, I could have just ridden west NOW! This weestrom is perfect for moi :Cool:

I really enjoyed hugging old and new friends. What a great bunch of people! :clap:

West Yellowstone, MT.

Great morning on the Beartooth, despite construction. Yellowstone, not so much. A giant parking lot.

Time to go find something to eat.

Home at 7:00 pm, right at 6000 miles. Great ride, great folks, great places!

OK then......chop chop on getting those pics up ;)

Good to see you two again

Arrived home today. From the Un we (myself and DaveC) took five days to ride in Quebec north of the St Lawrence. Highlights were rte 381 through the spectacular mountains of the Charlevoix region and rte 389 to the Manic Cinq dam at the "Eye of Quebec" (That name will make sense if you look on a map.) Rte 155 along the St Maurice river as far as La Tuque is also special and not bad the rest of the way to Lac St Jean. Vive la Quebec!

Thanks to Paul and the others who made the Un happen. Amazing work!

Waiting for some weather to pass us in St. Jo, then off to Colorado Springs. At least 6000 miles so far (temporary malfunction at the GPS junction).

We are having SUCH a good time!

Home at LAST! WOWEEEEE!!! What a long, wonderful trip it's been! I've got SO many pictures to crop and upload and Ride Tales to write and SO many people to thank for making this year's trip--that Leslie and I look SO forward to every year--exceed ALL expectations! Life is good--life is VERY GOOD! :clap:

Rolled in 3:30AM In the mother of all rain storms. Circled Nova Scotia and Cape Breton all back roads with maybe 80 klicks on slab.

Long live the Un. and all the Un'ers

is that the sun I see :grin:

I got in 2130 on 8-20. I planned a couple of side trips, then home.

After I left Lancaster, I rode up to Pocologan, NB to take in the Bay of Fundy. I planned to ride to St. John, but the border crossing at Calais, ME took almost an hour. By Pocologan, I was tired and it was getting cold. I needed to start for home this night.

I stopped in a small local recreational park, got some photographs, and headed back home. 1600 miles and three days to make it home.

Crossing over into rural Maine, I soon became tired and caught a nap at the Iron Butt motel near Amherst Township on highway 9 (Airline Highway)

Somewhere between Clifton and Aurora, ME, I heard the sound of bare wheels rolling across a washboard. I coasted to stop on the shoulder hoping it was a flat. Tires fully inflated. Bike would not go forward. Engine ran fine, transmission shifted, but no go.

No oil on the rear wheel.

I wonder why it is that the towing service always insists on an address. This area is so rural, that Maine considers it as "undeveloped."

In the fullness of time, Eddie from the towing service shows up with the dedicated dolly for loading a bike onto a rollback.

The closest dealer is in Falmouth, ME. Off we go to Bangor to change drivers and then on to Falmouth. Approximately 160 miles.

Great dealership, Street Cycles, diagnosed the problem. Not the dreaded final drive. The drive shaft had shed the universal joint.

Parts were ordered for overnight delivery so I could be out of there and on my way on Saturday. The drive shaft did not come, just the ancillary parts. So Saturday was bust, and Tuesday was the next best day. I take off from work Monday.

Chilling in Falmouth, ME. I had the opportunity to meet a repeat Iron Butt Rally competitor and spend a couple of nights with him and his wife. Many thanks Bob and Sharon Collin.

No drive shaft on Tuesday. Turns out that BMW did not ship it. Oops.

In for a dime, in for a dollar. I take one more day off from work, and wait. Wednesday, the parts are all there. Work proceeds apace. The service department at Street Cycles is on it. Bike is ready around 1:30. I go get it and return to the motel to pack. I am on the road in the heat around 3:00.

I slabbed it to Allentown, PA for the night. Up the next morning and on the way. My daughter was watching the spot tracker. She said I must have been in the BMW mode for the time that I made. It was hot when it was not storming.

Falmouth is a nice smallish town. Nevertheless, 5 days there with nothing to do but wait was less than intriguing.

The UN was great. Great food, rides, and folks.

Mt. Washington is far and away more dramatic than is Mt. Mitchell.

The new drive shaft runs fine.

So who's still out there? Ron, Richard, Jacqueline. Anyone else?

Near Minneapolis today, will be home Monday. Linda and I spent a week after the Un working up the Maine coast and going around Cape Breton in the heat wave of the summer. Every side trip to a lighthouse was appreciated for the cooling breeze from the ocean. Cape Breton was weird, heat and high humidity made visibility very poor. Trip over the Highlands was done in fog limiting visibility to about 500m. Luckily we didi it in the fall a few years ago with gorgeous conditions.

Will post pictures and other impressions later but the highlites were:

• Meeting new and old friends at the UN
  • Lighthouses of the Maine coast - had to see Portland Head and West Quoddy
  • Acadia Park
  • Supper at the Rossmount in St Andrews, NB - near perfectly seared fresh Nova Scotia tuna
  • Staying with friends near Moncton and seeing Hopewell Rocks at low tide
  • Alexander Graham Bell Museum in Baddeck, NS

Mike Cassidy

How many miles & how many days Jamie?
Just over 8000 miles in 21 days. At one point in Quebec we were 3000 miles (5000Kms) from home!

WHAT A GREAT TRIP! :clap:

Home yesterday (8-22). Since I'm originally from the Northeast, I got to visit friends in Maine, got to ride thru Vermont, Massachusetts, then saw my kids and grandkids in NJ, CT, and family and friends in NY.

Thanks to Paul and crew for an outstanding UN. :thumbsup:

We are home.

In one of those weird sort of things; as we turned onto our little street the GPS (having been reset as we where pulling out 19 days earlier) showed exactly 10,000 km! (Approx. 6200 miles.)

While this was likely our last UN, long junkets on a motorcycle being increasingly hard to justify, both environmentally and financially; we did immensely enjoy seeing old again and making new friends! And of course the superbly organized UNevent!

Cheers!

Paul Mihalka

"While this was likely our last UN, long junkets on a motorcycle being increasingly hard to justify, both environmentally and financially"

Com'on Ken, you only live once! If I would only do things in my life I can "justify", I'd prefer to be dead!

It was great to see Donna and you again. I certainly hope it was not the last time!

Linda and I spent a week after the Un working up the Maine coast and going around Cape Breton in the heat wave of the summer.

Look at Cape Breton now. Hurricane.

Sorry to hear about your breakdown Chris. Glad it is all straightened out. Hope the rest of the trip was interesting but uneventful.

Your Mt. Washington sunrise friends,

Mike and Georgi

I'm with Paul on this one, Ken. Kelly and I just met you guys -- no way you can pull out of the UN's for a couple more years anyway.

Archived