IGNORED

Slainte

Never heard of this happening before, but today I noticed a fuel leak and traced it to the “O” ring on the fuel pump. The “O” ring was replaced with the filter about one year and 9K miles ago.

I thought I was all done with fuel leaks when I installed metal QDs and all screw type FI clamps. Oh well I got the tank off, so I’m half way there.

Has this happened to anyone else here?

I presume you are referring to the large O-ring between the fuel pump/filter mounting plate and the tank. Could be some of the screws have backed out a bit or the O-ring has failed which would be unusual in such a short time. Let us know what you find.

Slainte, it does seem strange for that “O” ring to fail once it is seated & leak free for a period of time.. Usually they swell up & seal even tighter once they are exposed to gasoline..

Are you 100% sure your leak is from that “O” ring itself?. Gasoline has a way of following about any seam,, depression,, or wire to a low point before dripping from that area..

I have seen the actual wire pass through leak & drip down to look like the “O” ring is leaking.. But by far the most likely thing to leak (I have seen more than a few) is a hose connection (loose clamp or hose ply separation).. The hose leaking is something that is more apt to show up some time after the thing was apart..

I’m not saying it can’t be the “O” ring leaking but that is way more unlikely than a seeping hose connection or the pass through..

Twisty

OK it's all fixed now. It was the O-ring...perhaps it was installed wrong 9K miles ago. The old one had a one quarter inch nick in it, but I'm not sure if I done this myself because when I first discovered the leak I backed off all the nuts (took a peek at the o-ring) and re-torqued everything down in to 5NM.

Another possibility is the fuel additive (Chevron Techron, 5oz ~ 3K miles)...not sure if this may have been a factor.

Either way it's all fixed now, however it is disturbing to think that this is yet another possible area for fuel leaks.

Archived