IGNORED

How to Clean Fuel System on Bike Stored for 2 years???

motoguy128

My Brother-in-law has a Yamaha V-Star... it's the small V-twin... 650???. I think it's only 3 or 4 years old. He used to ride it to work regularly, but was deployed to Iraq last year for 6 months, and didn't ride it much that previous spring, so it's sat for almost 2 years without ANYTHING done to it. He says it doesn't start...not a suprise.

I'd like to help him out and get it running again. He's recently divorced, so things have been a little crazy. I think he'd like to ride it but doesn't want to take the time or money to take it to a dealer.

1) I figure for starters, the battery is toast.

2) I figure the entire fuel system is coated in varnish and needs to be cleaned.

3) Hopefully there's not much rust inside the fuel tank.

So what's the best way to fix this? Should I pull the tank and carbs, drain, dissasemble them, and clean them out? What do I clean them with? Is it posible to just use seam foam or similar product?

This shows the importance of doing somthing as simple as sticking the bike on a trickle charger and putting stabilizer in the fuel.

Any help from someone that's been in a similar situation is appreciated.

Sea Foam works well. My wife has a 1989 Honda VTR250, which had been sitting for an unknown time when we acquired it. The engine barely ran, but after running some Sea Foam (double dosage) through, it gradually improved. Don't expect instant results.

To check for rust, run a finger around inside the tank filler; if it's clean, don't worry. Unless there is bad rust, I wouldn't worry about it, but replace the fuel filter in any case.

I wouldn't worry about. Put in fresh fuel, a new battery and ride it.

Sounds like the first step. I might suggest he get a new battery, trickle charger and pour in osme frsh gas and start there.

• 2 weeks later...

IMO, dump the gas from the tank. Fresh fuel is the first step. Add the Seafoam. Then new battery making sure to fully charge it. If it is easy to do, drain the carbs. Probably not. Give the button a push. If it starts, great. If not, I would clean the carbs. New plugs might be a good idea also. Tom

IMO, dump the gas from the tank. Fresh fuel is the first step. Add the Seafoam. Then new battery making sure to fully charge it. If it is easy to do, drain the carbs. Probably not. Give the button a push. If it starts, great. If not, I would clean the carbs. New plugs might be a good idea also. Tom

+1 on this...running it with 2 or more year old gas is a bad idea. That stuff has probably turned to varnish by now.

• 4 weeks later...

Great advice above but I would also do a real close inspect on the condition of the tires. According to what environment it was stored in this could be a problem you want to find out about before you ride the freeway...

The K75 I got from Greg had been sitting in a garage for 5 years. All it took was fresh gas and a new battery to get it fired up. I did drain all the old gas I could get out, including the fuel lines and then ran some cleaner through it once I got it started, but over all it was not big deal. May want to spray a little quick start (ether) in the airbox also, can make that first try a bit easier.

Plan on new tires and fluids in the very near term......

Archived