IGNORED

One Lap around Barber on a Stupid Sportbike

russell_bynum

russell_bynum

grin.gif

We just got in from an awesome weekend with the Superbike School at Barber. Lisa and I both did Level 3 on Saturday, and I did Level 4 on Sunday while Lisa took pictures and bitched about not getting to ride both days. smile.gif

I'm going to post more later, but for now...here's almost 2 laps around Barber from a camera on Stuman's bike following me. My lines are not great and my attack angles really suck on a few corners, but all-in-all I think it's a halfway decent couple of laps. This is from Saturday's session. We did a video debrief at the end of the day and I used that information to improve more on Sunday. As always...seeing it on video makes a huge difference vs. someone just telling you what you're doing right and wrong.

Oh...Using the video's timer, I figure this is about a 1:57 lap. I got down to a 1:53 on Sunday.

Also, here's a few teaser photos that Lisa took. The first two are me by myself on the track.

VQ8J1336.JPG

VQ8J1343.JPG

Here's my on-track instructor, Tim following me.

VQ8J1394.JPG

And here's Tim Baker (bakers_rt) probably about to pass my sorry ass. Tim, it was a blast trying to keep you in sight. cool.gif

VQ8J1607.JPG

Here's the video

Hey, looking good! Having so few Level 3 that first day gave you a lot more video time than normal.

Yeah, a couple of lines could have been a tad tighter, but it doesn't look like you learned that track just that day--it looks like you've known it awhile. Very good work. thumbsup.gif

It was great to have you and Lisa and the rest of the crew there. Gonna be a busy day for me today, getting back in the saddle, but I hope to write a few things up by tomorrow.

Nice job! Great seeing you guys again!!

As I mentioned, Level 3 was a tough one for me. It's going to take a while to break some bad habits. Man my quads are sore today eek.gif

russell_bynum

Yeah, a couple of lines could have been a tad tighter, but it doesn't look like you learned that track just that day--it looks like you've known it awhile.

Thanks!

I plan on going through the video again sorta like you did where you did giving a commentary, but I'm going to be pointing out all of my mistakes. There were quite a few, but I know I fixed a bunch of them on Sunday. Attack angles got MUCH better, T5 got way better, etc.

Sweet!!! For a moment there I though I was watching Il Doctor. grin.gif

Looked like you were getting your knees down a couple times, or awfully close to it.

I liked Level 3 the best, but it did take its toll on my legs, too. Need to work out more before my next session.

Glad all of you had a good time.

Hey Russell, if I play that thing back at 2x speed, it looks really good! grin.gifgrin.gif

I'm really bummin' that I couldn't be down there with you guys - it looks like you all had a real blast. How bad did Christine kick all your butts?

Rockin vid! thumbsup.gif

russell_bynum

Looked like you were getting your knees down a couple times, or awfully close to it.

I just barely touched the edge of my right puck once.

That's my bad, though...I need to get farther off the bike, and also I need to stick my knee out farther. I was following Tim (instructor) the second day and I was on the same line as him and keeping up with him. He had his knee on the ground and I didn't. Afterwards, I asked what I'm doing wrong, and he said I just need to get my lower body off a little farther, and need to stick that knee out farther.

Both days were a blast, and very hard on the lower body. L3 was great, but I almost think I liked L4 better because it's much more personalized. Also, the slide bike is a real hoot. I just about messed myself the first time I got it to break loose and slide, but after a few minutes, I was commanding small slides and controling them reasonably well. I want more practice with that, but already I feel more confident because I was able to deal with wheelspin before the situation became critical. I'll definitely be going back for Level 4 again sometime. Right now I'm thinking that I'd like to repeat L4 1-2 times per year, and the rest of the time I'll just do trackdays to practice the stuff I need to work on.

How bad did Christine kick all your butts?

ARGH! She kicked mine!!! I think her best time was about 18 seconds faster than mine! And she was in level 1 and I was in level 3!! I blame the fact that she had previous experience on this track!! Yeah, that's it!! smile.gif And actually, I doubt the fastest time recorded for me was my fastest time. I had some pretty fast ones in session 5, and they didn't get very many laps recorded for that session. Oh well. I'm still pretty sure she was faster! Way to go, Christine! clap.gif

I definitely improved my body postion, and my lines were ok (but I still turn in a little early). My biggest problem this time (according to the video critique at the end of the class) was not doing quick turns. I was REALLY lazy getting around the corners, and that surely affected the lap times! Can't wait to get out and practice all this stuff again. I was so bummed I couldn't ride on Sunday (although my quads hurt so bad from Saturday, I am not sure I could have ridden anyway! Plus, using David's ultra-bitchin' camera for the pictures was a blast!)

--Lisa

I definitely improved my body postion, and my lines were ok (but I still turn in a little early).

That's a real common problem. The natural tendancy is to start turning when you start looking - the body just wants to follow the head/eyes. It takes a lot of discipline to keep going straight, waiting for the right line to start your entry - when the eyes are already looking through the corner. You'll get it.

I'm stil bummed I couldn't be there with you guys. My wife kept asking while I was moping around all weekend, and all I could say was, "Barber." frown.gif Of course, she was pretty darn confused since I don't have any hair! dopeslap.gif

It was so great seeing everyone this weekend !!! I was determined to find the gas to get there since the Calif. Superbike School informed me of their ‘no show, no refund’ policy, even for extenuating circumstances!! Now I can say how thrilled I was to give a ride to David’s son because, if I did run out of gas, I’d have help pushing smirk.gif!

A short night’s sleep and it was off to the track early Saturday morning! Upon arrival at the track, I started looking for able bodies to help me unload my bike. I found a group of guys wearing official-looking green Kawi shirts and asked them for help. Next thing I know, Keith Code walks right up with 3 of the instructors and unloads my bike!! Luckily, my Laguna Seca pit skills are still fresh in mind, because I ran and grabbed my two “Twist of the Wrist” books to get them autographed. I didn’t think my day needed to get much better than that clap.gif.

Keith Code gave all of our classroom instruction except for one session from Stuman. Both were very easy to understand. After the first classroom session, I suited up and went to the start/finish where I pulled up beside Russell. After waving and saying hello, I realize that I’m in the wrong group have to pull off the track and wait. ARGH!!

Three of us were assigned to the instructor, Jason (JT). He has been there the longest of all of the instructors but looks to be about 20 yrs. old! My classmates include a 44 yr. old guy on a very bright, neon green Triumph and a younger guy on a sport bike, begging for advice on how to scrape his knees. By lunch I was thinking that I really could use some more instructor input but after lunch I felt like it evened out. It probably was even already but you know how it is when you’re waiting….it seems like forever. There was one guy (not in my group) that low-sided during our morning session coming out of turn 5 (hairpin). He was fine and was able to ride again. He also happened to be the lucky guy that received David Baker's Sunday spot since he decided to be a corner-worker instead.

After lunch, the sessions did get shorter….and shorter and then they were over!!! I really started to hate that checkered FLAG since it meant the session was over! Mark arrived to watch my last few sessions so I was able to start begging him to drop his Sunday, Level 3 class so I could take Level 2 on Sunday. With a smile he said, ‘No, because it would cost you too much”!!

What I came home with:

Even more gratitude to David Baker for encouraging me to go to a school!

More fun memories of hanging out with Lisa and Russell (you two just can’t get any cooler!)

Not one single photo taken or purchased

Two “Cornering, Discover the Art” shirts (well-earned, I say!)

Really pilly tires

A sheet of lap times that did show constant improvement

Two very scraped peg feelers (and the knowledge of how to avoid that thumbsup.gif)

The most exhilarating feeling of my entire life while operating a motorcycle!!

Wondering how soon I can schedule/afford my next class cool.gif

Oh bummer, Christine! I was hoping you would buy your pictures! You looked really good in them! Did you get a chance to look at them before you had to leave!? I was amazed at how far you could turn your head! grin.gif Seriously, lookin' good! thumbsup.gif

I went ahead and bought mine. Some of them turned out pretty good. I look so much better than I did at level 1 or 2. Still a ways to go, but MUCH better! I need leathers though; you just look so goofy in a Stitch on the track. smirk.gif

I'll post some of the better pictures as soon as they mail us the CD.

Great weekend everyone! thumbsup.gif

I guess Mark got "distracted" in his class and forgot that I left him a message to look for a 'good picture' of me. It may be just as well, because I've been telling my kids that I have eyes in the back of my head...not that my head can turn around that far grin.gif.

russell_bynum

Upon arrival at the track, I started looking for able bodies to help me unload my bike. I found a group of guys wearing official-looking green Kawi shirts and asked them for help. Next thing I know, Keith Code walks right up with 3 of the instructors and unloads my bike!!

Overheard in the registration line on Saturday morning:

"Look at this...there's two guys struggling to unload their bikes alone and the hot chick has FOUR Superbike guys unloading her bike for her."

tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

Gees, everyone talking about level 4 and I was blown away by level 1. What a blast!

Kudos to Dave for turning us on to the Code school.

It was great to see old friends and meet new ones.

After the first class our group(green) went to get on the bikes. I (throw) a leg over and settle into the seat. Fine No problemo. Get the beast started. No problemo. Click it into gear and start to pull out to the start/finish line for the final briefing before going out on the track for our first session.

I now have a problemo. I go to put my left foot, followed by my right foot on the pegs. Where the hell are the pegs???

I'm flialing around trying to put my foot on the peg, but the peg isn't where I'm thinking it SHOULD be.

I look down, and to my horror, I discover that the peg is just several inches under my butt.

While all of this is going on I am passing by ALL of those awaiting a turn on the track. I'm sure they all heard the popping and creaking comming from my old knee joints. VERY impressive.

So now here I am, legs tucked into a position they haven't been in for many a year, hunched over the tank with my face inches from a tach that has more numbers on it than the national debt, and I am gonna ride on a real track with other(far more experienced on the track) [read FASTER] riders.

Some how, I was able to fold the legs up for the rest of the track sessions.

Some how, I was able to concentrate on the instructons.

Some how, I was having the time of my life. cool.gif

Thanks again to Dave. Best money I,ve spent in quite a while. thumbsup.gif

Oh, by the way.......... I'm gonna take level 2. grin.gif

russell_bynum

It was great meeting you, Woody...and I was very pleased to discover that you don't look anything like your avatar. thumbsup.gif

I had similar thoughts and feelings when I did Level 2 and rode the school's bike. (I did Level 1 on my RT). My first thought when I got on the little Ninja was "I feel like I'm gonna break this damn thing. My tankbag weighs more than this." grin.gif Going down the back straight my ears were telling me that I needed to shift before the motor blew up. I glanced down at the tach and it was turning 8K (15K redline). eek.gif Once you get used to the bikes, they're really amazing machines.

Archived