IGNORED

Alaska Question

tgregg

My wife and I are planning a trip up through Alaska. Are motels readily available without reservations? We like to do our trips in a relaxed way and don't want to have to be anywhere at certain times and days. Thanks

We just got back. We had absolutely no reservations over 12 days of riding.

We only got caught once and simply found a campground and threw up the tent. You are taking a tent and bag, right?

The key is not to drive/ride too late into the evening.

A lot more rooms avaiable around 6pm than 9 or 10.

;)

We just got back. We had absolutely no reservations over 12 days of riding.

We only got caught once and simply found a campground and threw up the tent. You are taking a tent and bag, right?

Yes, I always take my sleeping bag and Thermorest on the bike or in the Jeep no matter where I'm going. I've never had a late in the day flat or breakdown but figure I'll be comfortable over night and deal with whatever in the morning. We are early risers and mid afternoon stoppers! Sounds like that will work well. Not sure if we'll get the trip in by the end of September as this has been a really fast summer. Next summer for sure though. We did 8 days in Utah this month (July) and are ready for the next place on our list...Alaska, ASAP.

RichEdwards

I went in June of '05 and had no trouble finding a room. But, as Whip said, I was sure to find a room before dinner. Took my tent and sleeping bag but never used them.

Last summer it was no problem finding a room but they don't come cheap. Every hotel I stopped at had a room except for in Fairbanks where it took three trys.

If you decide to go up to Deadhorse I would strongly recommend staying in Wiseman instead of Coldfoot along the Dalton Hwy. Good luck!

Thanks for the advise. I looked up Super 8 in Alaska and their motel in Anchorage was $100 a night. I'm thinking that must be a norm for a cheap room, am I about right?

Take good notes Greg, I'm still thinking of doing this one next summer.

I think Alaska is pretty much all of our dream trip!

yeah, I think so too.

My son wants to go along, and that's going to make it especially cool if I can pull it off.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife for the first time in our 33 year marriage has said, "I am going on this trip". So as much as I'd like to do this trip on the BMW or Jeep we will be doing a "Fly and Drive". My brother lives in Seattle so our plan is to fly into Seattle and then a quick flight to Anchorage renting a car and just wander around stopping where we find interesting things and places.

Gregg

You should consider taking the Ferry (Alaska Maritime Highway System) at least one way. The scenery is spectacular on the inland waterway down to Bellingham.

You should consider taking the Ferry (Alaska Maritime Highway System) at least one way. The scenery is spectacular on the inland waterway down to Bellingham.

Good suggestion, I'll check it out! Friends of my wife are saying you'll miss stuff if you don't do a "tour". I told her we don't need no stinking tour, we've got thousands of guides on BMWRT.COM to help us.

Keep the good suggestions coming.

I'm going to Google the ferry right now!

I love planning trips :=)

If you take the Ferry you have to take tie downs for your bike. Last I heard they do not provide them and it is my understanding that you will need them.

WOW the ferry is expensive. Prices are really high and don't even include meals. Am I reading the fares wrong? I'm not crazy about being kind of locked onto a boat anyway (my reason for not doing a cruise) and I'm thinking flying into Anchorage and renting a car and then just exploring for a week seems like a good first trip to learn about the area, That is what we do in the lower 48 and it works well for us. We just did 2000 miles, mostly in Utah and still didn't see it all. We stayed below I-70 the whole time.

If you take the Ferry you have to take tie downs for your bike. Last I heard they do not provide them and it is my understanding that you will need them.

The ferry I took last year provided all tie downs. No problems

Yes, it is a little expensive. It is not a cruise, but a transportation system. It is the only way to see many of the neat towns along the lower southeast part of Alaska as these towns are landlocked. One cool town was Skagway and you can get to it by car through the Yukon and BC but the ferry is easier.

Take good notes Greg, I'm still thinking of doing this one next summer.

I think Alaska is pretty much all of our dream trip!

Inuvik to Ushuaia, Tierra Del Fuego. That's my ultimate dream ride!

Sorry for the slight hijack.

Enjoy Alaska, it'll be great no matter how you get there.

and still didn't see it all

You won't even scratch the surface of Alaska in a week.........Alaska is about as big as 50% of the USA. You'll need to really plan to get the real Alaska in a week.

i did it on motorcycle in 06 and spent three weeks in Alaska and didn't see everything I wanted. Now I need to go back..... :clap:

Thanks for the advise. I looked up Super 8 in Alaska and their motel in Anchorage was $100 a night. I'm thinking that must be a norm for a cheap room, am I about right?

Hostels are the secret. Many have private rooms in addition to dorm-style accommodations. I stayed at hostels in Anchorage and Talkeetna for about $20 a night. In Homer, I splurged for the private room at $40 a night. These were high season rates in July and August. Most hostels have free WiFi (the one in Anchorage had 3 computers for guests, in addition to WiFi). In my experience, you generally meet much more interesting people, ages 7 to 70, in hostels.

Given their low cost structure, finding hostels is the trick, but each hostel is likely to have fliers or cards that lead to others. I stayed at the 26 Street Hostel in Anchorage, which I can recommend highly. The location is within walking distance of several decent restaurants, a 2-story REI, and Alaska Leathers -- what more could you ask for? Here is from a review:

This is potentially one of the best hostels that I have ever stayed in! I went to Anchorage on my own in August and stayed one night before going on a tour and staying again after the tour. Sebastian and Marcella are great hosts. One of them is always around if you need help. I stayed in a 4bed female dorm one night which was fine. Also stayed downstairs in my own private double room which was great! 3 computers with free internet access. Prices are very reasonable. The hostel itself is clean, cery safe, quiet yet at the same time has a great atmosphere. I chatted to so many people from all over yet it was never intrusive.

Every morning Marcella provides a free breakfast of pancakes, breads, cereals, fruit, tea, coffee, juices etc. I couldn't get over the breakfast, it was great!!! There is loads of places around to eat which is great. You can hire bikes there. They will even store items for you. They store them at your own risk but I left 3 presents that I had brought from Ireland and they were completely untouched.

If I was going alone a hostel would be great but my wife is a hotel person. My dad calls her a "warm toilet seat girl" which we've always laughed at. She has lots of great qualities but "roughing it" even a little is not one of them :=)

Last time I went up I flew and rented bikes in Anchorage. The rental outfit laid out a route and made hotel reservations which was a real help and got us to places we wouldn't have known about. Price was very reasonable.

Your might want to check this out: http://www.akrider.com

Archived