IGNORED

LD Comfort Shorts?

RoyTemple

Are these going to improve my long distance comfort?

I've got the stock low seat. I normally ride with cotton briefs, normal jeans, Alaska sheepskin pad, and BMG Pioneer pants. That combination gets me usually 2 hours of comfort. Then the pain begins.

At the MOA Rally in Johnson City, TN I purchased a Freedom Air but pad and put it under the Alaska Sheepskin for the ride home. I normally ride from 7 to 14 hours per day on such trips. I got maybe 2.5 hrs with that before the pain became apparent. I plan on tinkering with the air pressure and hopefully get longer pain free ride times. However, it now occurs to me that maybe it's the briefs. :S

No, I'm not ready yet for the custom (Mayer-Russell etc.) saddle. :dopeslap:

Any thoughts?

Roy

Yes,they will help a great deal,but you are kind of defeating their help by wearing jeans.

Anything cotton is going to hold in moisture and heat and can easily wrinkle and start chafing the tender areas!

You need wicking breathable garments.

Best bet is LD shorts or longs and true riding pants that allow reasonable airflow.

I wear the LD longs and FirstGear HT Air pants for 3/4 of the year then switch

to regular HT pants in the winter.

Lots of other options from other suppliers

JR356

Call Mario at LD Comfort and talk to him about the product. I have the short and long versions and the same with the tops. I just did the Lake Superior Circle Tour and had 45-85 temps with rain and sunshine and wore them under a Darien suit and was comfy every day and didn't even notice a sore butt at the end of each day. I washed them once in the motel room and I was ready to go the next morning. Great product and I hope you call Mario and get it straight from the main man!

The LDComfort shorts will help by eliminatine seams in the sitting area as well as moisture wicking.

If you still have seams (jeans!) between you and the seat, then there won't be much of a difference.

For me, the best comfort is achieved with padded bicycle shorts at the expense of moisture management as the pads get very clammy on a hot day.

Next best is the LDComfort shorts, which help with moisture management and do nothing to cause discomfort.

I wear only the shorts and my Cycleport/Motoport riding suit.

I almost exclusively wear the LDComfort shorts now instead of the bike shorts. I can wear them all day, yet still wash them and have them dry overnight while on the road.

I've also tried the Alaskan Sheepskin butt pad, one of the sheepskin with gel insert pads and the BeadRider seat beads.

The butt pad provided some relief, but I still get the same hot spots under the pelvic bones. The sheepskin with gel inserts was no better. The bead rider diffused the pressure points so all my butt hurts!

I'll be riding cross country to the Unrally and back using the BeadRider. I may bring the butt pad as backup.

Next year I think it's about time I finally put a Russell Day-Long on this bike!

Nice n Easy Rider

Roy

I see a noticeable difference in comfort when I wear them compared to the times I don't. They also dry quickly so you can wash them overnight for the next day.

I think the LD shorts are GREAT! I bought another pair at the MOA rally. I agree, you should not wear jeans over them. A new saddle will probably help as well. The LD shorts will help but probably won't solve your problem completely. Just my .02

Good luck!

Any thoughts?

Roy

A pair of shorts can make an incremental change in comfort but you won't fix the problem (I've tried most of what you tried including the shorts). Until you answer yes to the above question you won't change a great deal. Especially with the low seat, which is made so by removing padding. After 30k miles on the stock regular seat, I've finally ordered a Sargent. Just my opinion of course.

Al,'

But for Butts, being,well, butts, there wouldn't be the need for different saddles.

All depends on build and "insulation" factors.

A nod to specific shorts or bicycle shorts helping.

I use ones that have a padded gel cell.

I would also suggest trying a pair of "pants" between the shorts and riding gear.

By "pants" I mean wicking mesh poly type "sweat/activity/athletic style".

These for warmer months.

Your sweat will wick away and keep you from clinging to the riding gear.

For cold months substitute microfleece pants.

This additional layer helps keep you cooler/warmer and of course dryer.

xbubblehead
A pair of shorts can make an incremental change in comfort but you won't fix the problem

Until I can afford the seat I want I am using the LD comfort shorts.

After reading many reviews from several other rider forums, I bought a pair. They have made a

noticeable difference for me and they are very easy to clean and take care of. I am looking

forward to using them on my trip to Nova Scotia.

I am very please with the LD products.

Good product. I routinely ride 12-14 hours with LDs, a stock seat, and various motorcycle pants. Jeans are going to be a limiting factor.

DavidEBSmith

The LD Comfort shorts will definitely improve comfort over cotton shorts under jeans. As others have pointed out, cotton holds moisture which leads to irritation and chafing. You want something polyester and wicking and smooth (wrinkles and seams cause hot spots), but not too tight to impair circulation.

There are any number of things that will work better than cotton shorts and jeans. LD Comfort is about as purpose-designed as you can get, albeit pricey. On my last Iron Butt Rally I wore Ex Officio boxers under Under Armour tights, which worked great but you can't take your riding pants off without scaring people. Lately I've been using the Ex Officio boxers under REI Sahara convertible pants, which actually look like pants and pack very compactly. Under Armour stuff works, any number of brands work.

The important thing is to find something that works for you. Try the LD Comfort shorts, try some of the other suggestions, get rid of the cotton.

After a fast 5k mile week , I thought just to see I'd get a pair to use on a trip through Nova Scotia. Not sure what I was expecting, but I have to say I was disappointed after reading all the hype. The waist band continually rolled as it's not suppose to (I'm no lightweight, but no Buddha belly either). And the ride didn't seem much different with than without.

I do have to say that I emailed the company with my view of the world and they were quick to respond with concern and asked that I give their product another chance or 2, and that if I still felt the same they'd refund my money. Great product support if nothing else.

I still have them but on a ride to Alaska last year, forgot to take them but didn't miss them.

I say ditch the cotton briefs and the jeans. If you're using LD Comfort shorts make sure they're sized correctly. Although they're sold by waist size, you should actually measure across your navel, not normally where you'd measure your waist. Where I'd normally wear a Medium, I take a Large in LD Comfort shorts. They're meant to be "hiked up" when you wear them.

I have ridden a road bicycle 180 miles over two days wearing bike shorts and using an anti-chafing cream for bicyclists with no problems, so I figure they should work for a motorcycle. That what I wear under Olympia or BMW (depending on the temperature) riding pants. Never had monkey butt.

I tried padded bike shorts, and couldn't stand the lack of a fly, plus the feeling of having a sponge stuck up my butt. I have no direct experience with the LD shorts, but Under Armour boxer briefs have been wonderful.

I have to ask about the nature of your pain. For me, I notice a distinct difference between moisture related monkey butt, which can become painful, irritation from seams (almost the same), and the plain old "I'm sitting on a friggin' log" syndrome.

#1 get rid of the cotton. briefs, pants, all of it. switch to synthetic. bicycle shorts, and similar, work well. #2 Sheepskin works for lots of folks. I use a beadrider, and love it. #3 maybe it really IS your seat. stock seats sorta work for everyone, but don't work well for anyone. My old R100 would make my bits-n-pieces numb after 2 hours (WAY bad!). On my R11RS, I ended up sitting directly on my bits-n-pieces (just as bad). I had Rich's custom seats in Seattle re-do mine, and WOW! We did a 6000 mile x-c trip this spring, and my a55 was ready to turn around and do it again. Now that's priceless...

If you spend 7 - 14 hours sitting on that thing, just get a custom seat. Save the money somewhere else. You won't regret it.

elk

your response was posted to me.

?????

I'm not the one in pain, thank goodness.

:grin:

Just curious as there were several posts made after mine.

In addition to the shorts, layer of micro pants, riding gear, I use an Alaskan sheepskin for short rides and add an Airhawk for long rides.

Both my wife and I can ride all day w/this set up.

Thanks for your interest?

Best wishes.

I too, have developed a riding system I'll share. I first start with the LD Shorts. For wickability, quite good. Then I add bicycle shorts with padded gel cushioning. I subsequently layer inside my Motoport kevlar pants baby diapers, once used by our 2nd daughter from 1985. These have obviously been used, but I'll note they've been washed thoroughly. Excellent Egyptian cotton and very cushy. Finally I sit on an expertly rolled layer of part of my parent's 1964 Rambler American convertible ragtop. Nice and water resistant for the ultimate in comfort and practicality. I should mention that I try not to get off the bike until I've completed the journey and am able to privately remove the material, mostly because I don't want anyone to see the incredible amount of "stuff" I've packed in my pants. This seat system is very effective but you may find it difficult to locate the exotic Rambler American convertible ragtop material in any salvageable amount.

Hope this helps.

Bruce

Lets_Play_Two
I too, have developed a riding system I'll share. I first start with the LD Shorts. For wickability, quite good. Then I add bicycle shorts with padded gel cushioning. I subsequently layer inside my Motoport kevlar pants baby diapers, once used by our 2nd daughter from 1985. These have obviously been used, but I'll note they've been washed thoroughly. Excellent Egyptian cotton and very cushy. Finally I sit on an expertly rolled layer of part of my parent's 1964 Rambler American convertible ragtop. Nice and water resistant for the ultimate in comfort and practicality. I should mention that I try not to get off the bike until I've completed the journey and am able to privately remove the material, mostly because I don't want anyone to see the incredible amount of "stuff" I've packed in my pants. This seat system is very effective but you may find it difficult to locate the exotic Rambler American convertible ragtop material in any salvageable amount.

Hope this helps.

Bruce

Not to mention the need for a stool because of the effective 40" seat height!! :)

Paul Mihalka

For my long rides: LD shorts, leather pants (no seams, no wrinkles, stretches/shapes), Russell Daylong seat. Ready to go.

elk your response was posted to me.????? I'm not the one in pain, thank goodness. :grin:

Yeah, sorry man, I dunno how that happened. Should have been directed to the original post....

Glad to hear you're not in pain. :-)

A beaded seat cover won't do a lot for the soreness, but man does it ever keep your crotch dry, with to me is very important for comfort.

Also, the beaded seat covers make it easier to "squirm around" on the seat occasionally. I also try to stand up for a second on two when appropriate - that helps those thigh and buttock muscles tremendously. I don't think we can just "sit there" on a motorcycle like we would in a car......we have to keep moving our posteriors around to keep things in good order. :Cool:

I wear regular cotton briefs under First Gear mesh pants. The mesh promotes airflow which helps, and the mesh also makes it easy for me to squirm around from time to time. The seams in my cotton briefs don't bother me, and the mesh pants have no seams in those tender areas. When I rode with jeans I was almost always uncomfortable due to wetness and those thick seams.

Fightingpiper

I wear REI lightweight MTS long johns under my riding pants. If I know I am going to be taking off my riding gear I will wear the REI sahara convertable pants listed previously but mostly just the long johns. I also have a pair of merino wool long johns which are the most comfortable but are expensive and lasted only 1 riding season before the crotch started to get a hole.

I use the LD shorts under a pair of L.L. Bean Rapid River Shorts. Then it's the First Gear HT Mesh or regular Over Pants depending on the weather. The Bean shorts offer no seams on the backside and can be worn about town if you need to get out of your riding gear for a little while.

I also use a stock seat and have it covered with Alaska Sheepskin. Good Luck.

slightly off topic, does anyone use armored underpants? if yes, what kind?

No, but I've met a few ladies that did! Ha ha ha! ;-)

I use the LD Comfort shorts and I'm very happy with them. In combination with Tourmaster riding pants and Sargent saddle, I never experience any butt pain or discomfort.

Hope this helps!

Bud Reed

IMHO, nothing is going to help in the dead of summer until you can keep your 'goods' dry (assuming you have decent riding posture). Your a$$ will adapt to any seat (I've tried a couple and I'm back to stock -- which I couldn't stand for more than 20 minutes when I first tried it). I guess I should admit that I'm really diggin' my beaded seat cover, though.

First, drop the briefs. Try a couple different synthetics -- you've got to get the sweat away from your skin! If not, it feels like you're peeling it right off whenever you move -- at least it does for me. Everyone is different, but try a pair from a several outlets and give them a try. On my last trip, I took three different types, and even after a really long, bad day wearing one type, the next day was quite comfortable with a different type. It's not one-size-fits-all -- try some and see what works for you.

I was just out shopping and looking for any local (and less expensive) alternatives to the the LD Comfort product, but came up short (ha ha.)

Bicycle shorts all had integral padding that I didn't want or need. And one place carried the whole UnderArmor line but nothing seemed to really fit the bill. Their briefs looked like they were made of appropriate material but had seams running in exactly the wrong places, wouldn't be an issue for athletics but didn't look ideal for all-day siting. UnderArmor had some other items that looked to be better for this purpose but they were getting close in price to the purpose-built LD Comfort product and at that point there's not much point in looking for an alternative.

So seems like the LD Comfort product might be the best way to go in spite of the price premium.

Just my 2cts --

I just finished a 2900 mile run through 5 western states. I have a '99 1100RT, Russel DayLong w/ sheepskin overpad.

I wear NikePro compression shorts and compression t-shirt under my Tourmaster Intake Jacket and Venture Pants.

During the trip, I had three 700+ mile days, some in 100+ degree heat. Only once did I have to add talcum powder in the afternoon to help with irritation. Also, I used an evaporative vest for one afternoon.

Best $25.00 I ever spent for the shorts. I ended up buying 2 pair each of the shorts and shirt. Wash 'em out each night and you've got fresh undies for every other day by morning.

Regards,

Mark

I like the comfort of my LD Comfort shorts. But on my recent 4100-mile ride to CO, I never had to stop so often and pee in my life. Normally, I've got a bladder like an oil tanker. But I was stopping every 60-90 minutes. I can't say for sure that it's the compression nature of the shorts, as I didn't have as much of a problem (about every two hours) on my return trip. But I'll have to see how it goes on my trip to Fall Torrey.

If it is the shorts, then I'll use them in the summer when perspiration is an issue. In the winter, I'll wear my jeans and my Stich. Jean seams don't bother me when it's cooler.

Paul In Australia

The LD Comfort shorts aren't cheap by any means, especially when you have to import them internationally. BUT they really work well. Going to get another pair. They really do work.

regards

PCH

Paying retail for something is horrible. First time in 50 years! But they are worth every dollar. And once you experience the east / west fly you can't go back! Can be used like a money belt also.!!!

• 2 weeks later...

For those who own a set of the LD shorts, a fitment question...

I am of relatively slight build but also have the typical middle-age 'spare tire', resulting in an 'above the waistline' measurement (that LD recommends using for sizing) that is a few inches greater than my belt line measurement. Thus I have to either pick a size that fits the above the waistline measurement and risk having the garment too large for the below-the-belt area, or vice versa. The obvious answer is to call LD Comfort and ask but I did that and got an answer so equivocal that it was sort of useless. She kind of recommended going with the larger size, but that contradicts the recommendation on the website as well as my own inclination since if the garment is too loose in the seating area it would defeat the purpose of having no folds or seams.

So... to current owners, if forced to make a choice... better to fit the high waistline area, or the rest of you?

TIA,

Nice n Easy Rider

I'd say the rest of you but it's just a guess. I enjoy my LD shorts because they fit reasonably tightly on the legs and assure that there will be no bunching from that direction. But I also have a reasonably good fit on the waist as well so it's hard to say. I guess if I had to make the choice I'd go with the fit on the legs and the hope (I'm an optimist) that I might lose a little on the waistline. I figure I'd rather count on losing some there than to hope my legs will fatten up. :grin:

How much of a difference is there between the two measurements? For me, it's a lot. I went with the under the tire approach and mine fit well. I can't imagine it would work at all with the larger of the two.

Not specific to LD gear but I would suggest the garment be sized for your actual waist (or where your underwear fit comfortably)

Since men's gut typically ride above this underwear line (in some cases flop over) you wouldn't want to go above that for a fitted stretch garment.

Not specific to LD gear but I would suggest the garment be sized for your actual waist (or where your underwear fit comfortably)

Since men's gut typically ride above this underwear line (in some cases flop over) you wouldn't want to go above that for a fitted stretch garment.

But that's just it, the LD product intentionally rides above the normal waistline (so as to not stack waistbands) and so LD's sizing chart is designed to fit you to a couple of inches above the waistline, not to where a waistband would typically be with normal underwear.

How much of a difference is there between the two measurements? For me, it's a lot. I went with the under the tire approach and mine fit well. I can't imagine it would work at all with the larger of the two.

Only a couple of inches between the two measurements in my case (36 & 39), and if your difference is more than that and yours fits well then that kind of answers my question. I also have to believe that having it too baggy below the waist would have to be much more detrimental to comfort than having the waist elastic be a little tight. I am just kind of confused because the person I spoke to seemed to be recommending the opposite...

I had a couple of pair (size Medium) and bought two additional pair from them at the MOA rally in July. That was the first time I learned that they should be pulled up well above the waist. They measured me and said I should take size Large. I bought two pair of the Large and find them much more comfortable on long rides than the mediums I had bought earlier. BTW, I normally take medium in just about everything.

I've got the stock low seat. I normally ride with cotton briefs, normal jeans, Alaska sheepskin pad, and BMG Pioneer pants. That combination gets me usually 2 hours of comfort. Then the pain begins.

At the MOA Rally in Johnson City, TN I purchased a Freedom Air but pad and put it under the Alaska Sheepskin for the ride home. I normally ride from 7 to 14 hours per day on such trips. I got maybe 2.5 hrs with that before the pain became apparent. I plan on tinkering with the air pressure and hopefully get longer pain free ride times. However, it now occurs to me that maybe it's the briefs. :S

Any thoughts?

Roy

Friends, Mario of LDComfort here. Great thread with great answers but I would like to add a couple of things. Realize that the fabric in LDComfort is different than what you find in substiture garments. With the dual layer dryline fabric your skin will stay dry even if the garment becomes wringing wet. You will NOT get that from a single layer polyester or polypro garment. This is a most important consideration because it is the moisture/sweat that tenderizes the skin. That is how you get moisture rash and that also allows seams to dig in and chaff tender seating areas. There are no seamss in the seating area on LDComfort Riding Shorts. As for sizing: we make our garments to the tape measure not to someone elses tag for a pants size. The tape should go above where you usually wear your belt. The LDComfort Riding Shorts are made to be hiked up. Even in the crotch area. Pull them up. That way you do not leave space for equipment to fall when you sit on the seat. The fabric is a four way stretch and will always lay flat and smooth when you sit.

As for the cost, they are underpriced. You can ride in them for 200,000 miles and you will not wear them out. No other riding garment can match that. Mile for mile that is the most cost effective undergarment you can buy. We had a fellow show up at the Johnson City Rally who had been using his for 8 years and they were still as good as new. Go to the website ( www.LDComfort.com )and watch the video of the special fabric. You will know how LDComfort will beat the pants off of any other garment. Ask the winner o of the 2005 Iron Butt Rally. Ask the guy who rode 10,636 miles in under a week with one pair of LDComfort and not so much as a blister. No matter what seat you use or if you are going to sit on a fence post, begin by protecting your skin. 1,000 mile days are no longer a problem. I want you to enjoy every mile. :)

I am another Johnson City convert.

It is important, at least for my comfort, to hike them enough to create a 'pouch' in the crotch area.

• 5 months later...
WELCOME MARIO, THANK YOU FOR JUMPING IN!

I believe that comfort counts for every mile. Not just for the first 1000 miles of the day or the first 1000 mile day of many such days. Your riding limitation should not be determined by improper undergarments. Riding pain should be the last thing on your mind.

I want you to enjoy every mile.

Yes, they will.

I have tried others while trying to save a buck and not one has measured up.

Bite the bullet and buy them then you will never look back.

IMHO

I read most of this thread. I bought two pairs of LD long (boxer like) shorts. Their sizes must run small, but they were incredibly uncomfortable. I went back to wearing Wickers which I find quite comfortable. The LD shorts have been in my closet for a couple of years unused. Like custom seats, all very subjective. Perhaps if the size had of been correct, I might have liked them.

...Perhaps if the size had of been correct, I might have liked them.

I had bought a couple of pairs of medium and found them a little uncomfortable, but then a rep at the '09 MOA rally showed me where you're supposed to measure for them (above where you'd normally take your waist measurement). As a result I discovered I should have been wearing size large. That made all the difference. I like them.

I wear the LD tights. I like them a lot. I think the women's are made with a lower waistline. They are very comfortable except when it is really hot.

Archived