IGNORED

How do I clean up R75 engine and wheels?

1memphisdog

1memphisdog

I just purchased a '72 R75. The bike is in very nice shape, only 25,00 miles, and has been mechanicaly well taken care of but I would like to see it shine a bit more. Any thoughts about engine cleaners? Anyone heard of soda blasting the engine? Is it safe?

Simple Green & a nylon brush. Apply, rinse, repeat. Over and over, lots of elbow grease. Then Mother's Aluminum Mag polish. Apply, repeat. Lots of elbow grease again!

If you're going to take the engine apart, soda blasting is pretty safe. Here's mine after soda blast followed by acid wash for my upcoming R75/5 cafe build http://www.mklsportster.com/r754-09.htm

-MKL

You may know this already but, be very careful of the rubber pushrod tube seals (very careful as in don't touch, wipe or hose down) as they only get worse, that is, more oil weeping.

Wooster who had four airheads

• 1 month later...

I used glass bead blasting in my restoration. Yes, I had to tape up all the openings (and stuff like pushrod seals were already removed) and still decided to rinse the interior to be sure no beads remained.

I tried all sorts of nasty potions and brushes first (working up from Simple Green and Mothers Mag polish into real nasties like EagleOne Mag cleaner with serious acids) but none of them had enough effect on my corrosion. The alloy is not enough like pure aluminum.

Glass beads kept the original metal texture just fine.

• 1 month later...

My friends father does lots of restorations and uses mineral spirits and steel wool. The cases are beautiful! Of course bead blasting is really nice.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived