IGNORED

It's Offical Now - Fall BRR is ON!

Matts_12GS

Matt and I are proud to present the Blue Ridge Rendezvous Blue Grass Edition in Williamsburg, KY!!!!

October 2nd – 4th, 2009

It’s time once again to announce our annual fall BMWST.com get together. When we originally started planning the first BRR back in January of 2008, we had thought that we might take this event up and out of the touristy area of the Carolinas but time restrictions and that “we have a life” thing kept getting in the way of finding something acceptable. Well, after some thorough scouting we believe we have the type of location that we had started out to find.

Lodging:

Cumberland Inn.

http://www.cumberlandinn.com/

If you call between 8am and 4pm there is a much better chance that you will be able to speak to someone that knows how to take care of group reservations. Also make sure you tell them you are with BMWSportTouring.com so that there won't be any confusion on the group rate.

649 S 10th St

Williamsburg, KY 40769-1647

(606) 539-4100

Standard Two double beds is $79.30/night plus tax.. Make sure you specify if you will be arriving Wednesday, Thursday or Friday night. You are responsible for making your own reservations.

Meals:

Breakfasts: The Mitch Patrie honorary Complimentary Continental breakfast at the hotel. Remember…complimentary! That means free, you like free don't you? There are also full breakfast selections available at extra costs to you. This is definitely an upgrade from what we were used to in Maggie Valley. I am sure most everyone will be happy with the selection in the morning.

The Friday evening cookout: We are still looking to keep this going; however, there are negotiations in progress to use grills provided by the hotel. There is a possibility that the hotel will also provide the uncooked food and we will just provide the manpower to make this happen.

Saturday Group Dinner: We will have 1 group meal Saturday evening. This will be at the hotel in our own private dining area at approximately the same cost as last sprint (about 21 dollars). Look for plans for this dinner to evolve as we go. As always, we will be doing pay ahead with Pay-Pal for the dinner.

Beverages:

There is no lounge in this hotel. They have no problem with us bringing our own adult libations, but plan ahead as it is once again a dry county. The closest Beer and wine selection at the TN state line (11 miles away) right off the I-75 exit in Jellico. It’s a short ten minute ride to retrieve your favorite beverage.

Attractions:

We have already done some road scouting for this event. The roads are not as well known as those of western NC, but they are there to be found. We will be looking for other people to help scout routes as soon as possible, so if you are interested in helping us out with this, please send either Matt or I a PM.

There are also a lot of pretty cool things to see within an easy ride of the hotel. There are plenty of state and national parks with some work renowned hiking trails, waterfalls and wildlife observation areas nearby.

Matt and I are really looking forward to seeing all of you there!

So let's hear it, who's IN?

What Mitch said. I try not to miss one of Mitch's Breakfasts - heretofore known as a Patrie Dish. I warned the Cumberland Inn about you guys.

This is what I get for posting Shawn's email....

I'm stoked, this one is gonna be a lot of fun, and I think the roads will surprise many folks.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to be out for this one. Too many other obligations this fall. Unless I mysteriously find a huge wad of cash in the couch between now and then it looks like this will be the first BRR I'm going to miss :cry:.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to be out for this one.

What are all those states going to do without the revenue stream you provide through the patrol officers :dopeslap:

I'm afraid I'm going to have to be out for this one.

What are all those states going to do without the revenue stream you provide through the patrol officers :dopeslap:

Oh......not to worry, I'm still going to NH for the UN. I want to try and spread the wealth a little :grin:

Besides, its only VA state troopers that seem to have an issue with me

Paul Mihalka

Hotel reservation done. What I found surprising is that the credit card does not get charged and you can cancel until 6pm the day of arrival. Torrey and BRR on the same trip! :thumbsup: Reminds me of when I did Torrey and the Eureka Springs Unrally on the same trip...

I'm about 80% IN. I may have to tell the club people that I'm going out of town so if anyone asks.... you guys are BRR A.K.A GRANDMA!!! :grin:

Paul, Mark Hogan and others - SHHHHH :thumbsup:

Allen Rowand

Anyone looking to split a room? I hope to be able to confirm my vacation within the next day or so.

Thanks,

Allen

Nice n Easy Rider

I'm IN, arriving on Thursday, Oct. 1. :) The young woman taking my reservation initially said they were all booked up for Thursday night but then came back and said she was able to find a room. Don't know if it was simply some confusion or if they are filling up fast.

Do you guys know of a campground near the hotel? To much for my retired income.

I don't know, I know we're close to some, but I don't know how close.

campgrounds

Allen Rowand

Stupid newb question-

What time do the festivities start on the 2nd? Trying to figure out how to split the riding to get there.

Thanks,

Allen

Allen,

We'll be filtering in all day Thursday and Friday, a couple of us will be there Wednesday evening too most likely.

I'm working on a couple things to go on for Friday, but they'll be early in the day stuff...

if you are there by dinner time (about 6 say...) you'll be fine.

In!

Get there Thursday, leave Sunday. Now to find someplace to stay between CT and KY…

Allen

Since my riding partner refuses to spend 8 continuous hours in the saddle I'll be staying somewhere too. Well here's what I'm planning (diabolical Vincent Price laugh). I plan to stop in Point Pleasant, WV here. http://www.thelowehotel.com/ The Mothman museum is located in the hotel. Never heard of the Mothman? Get the book or rent the movie. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mothman_Prophecies

Then just try to sleep (more diabolical laughter). :D

So many tales start out this way...

3b49077r.jpg

"Going to Grandma's",

"right".

:lurk:

That's how the tales start up north. Down here in the south it starts with " Ya'll ain't going to believe this shit"

IN!!!

(Especially if Craig isn't!) :grin:

OK Shannon, NOW can I call the hotel? :clap:

Jim

Yes Jim, you can call the hotel now :)

Allen Rowand

Ok, on to the next question…

Looks like there are two reasonable routes from CT to KY:

1) Get into PA, then take 81S all the way to Knoxville then 75N or

2) Take 81 into Maryland then cut SW through WV to Lexington and go south which looks like 81S/68W/79S/64W/75S

Anyone have an opinion about which would be a better ride?

Thanks,

Allen

OK, I booked a room just in case I can make this trip. I'm an easterner now and daggumit I'm going to start acting like one.

I just hope BRR doesn't stand for Brrrrr. Looking forward to seeing you all. :wave:

Paul Mihalka
OK, I booked a room just in case I can make this trip. I'm an easterner now and daggumit I'm going to start acting like one.

I just hope BRR doesn't stand for Brrrrr. Looking forward to seeing you all. :wave:

:thumbsup:

Kathy,

Weather should not be our issue from what I'm reading.

Moderate temps and good color, I just hope we can keep the leaf peepers away and have some fun on the roads!

Matt,

Thanks, but I'm concerned with the weather up north. Oct snow off Lake Erie, etc.

It seems everytime the Chi Town Crew came back from El Paseo or BRR they hit snow/ice/sleet/bad winds/low temps. This little wee is sweet, but it's no RT in the cold. :wave:

I may have moved, but I'm still a Yankee :grin:

Ok, on to the next question…

Looks like there are two reasonable routes from CT to KY:

1) Get into PA, then take 81S all the way to Knoxville then 75N or

2) Take 81 into Maryland then cut SW through WV to Lexington and go south which looks like 81S/68W/79S/64W/75S

Anyone have an opinion about which would be a better ride?

Thanks,

Allen

Allen,

Well it sounds like you're committed to interstates (probably time constraints which I fully understand). I would recommend your second option. While I have less experience in I-81, what I have seen is it's got lots of truck (as well as other) traffic. I-68 across the MD panhandle is actually a nice ride (for an interstate) and much of it is 3 lanes each way so truck and other slow traffic is minimized. Similarly I-79 through WVA is quite picturesque. Finally, you may want to consider getting off of I-64 just west of Huntington, WV on US 23. You can take that south to rt80 which will hit the Daniel Boone parkway around Hazard, KY (yes, as in Dukes of). I've ridden that before and, while it's not as fast as the interstate it cuts the I-64/I-75 corner so it's not that bad. I can assure you it will be some welcome relief after the slab. Have fun and be safe no matter what you choose.

Well, at least for a yankee you moved in the right direction! :rofl:

I don't know about that area's weather, but I'm sure some of the other folks up in the region can answer you.

I rode my wee a few times in the temps in the low 30s a few times and it's no RT, but, some symtec heated grips and a gerbing jacket and you should be golden!

Allen Rowand
Allen,

Well it sounds like you're committed to interstates (probably time constraints which I fully understand). I would recommend your second option. While I have less experience in I-81, what I have seen is it's got lots of truck (as well as other) traffic. I-68 across the MD panhandle is actually a nice ride (for an interstate) and much of it is 3 lanes each way so truck and other slow traffic is minimized. Similarly I-79 through WVA is quite picturesque. Finally, you may want to consider getting off of I-64 just west of Huntington, WV on US 23. You can take that south to rt80 which will hit the Daniel Boone parkway around Hazard, KY (yes, as in Dukes of). I've ridden that before and, while it's not as fast as the interstate it cuts the I-64/I-75 corner so it's not that bad. I can assure you it will be some welcome relief after the slab. Have fun and be safe no matter what you choose.

Thanks for the advice, Albert. I'm sure a more experienced rider would come up with better routes or do the whole 800 miles in a day. Since this is my first long ride I want to break it up and take my time. If things go smoothly on the way down, maybe I'll head home in one shot.

Thanks,

Allen

Isn't that why God created heated grips and Gerbings!! :rofl:

Personally, I can't wait for fall ... and not just because of BRR! It's my favorite time of year to ride. Gone are the discomforts of summer - the heat (esp. in raingear), the bugs, rapid dehydration, kids running in the streets, holiday traffic every weekend, lightning storms, etc.

In fall a good riding jacket and electric liners and life is great! Wet leaves and deer are the most frequent concerns. Cold, not so much. One can always put more gear on ...

Certainly, there's the chance of snow, but that too can be handled - to a point.

But no matter what, I'm so hoping to make it to BRR if only for the one day!

Archived