IGNORED

Taconic State Parkway to UNrally - Beware

Nice n Easy Rider

Nice n Easy Rider

In case anyone is planning on taking the Taconic State Parkway north from NYC area before heading east to the UN, beware of drivers heading in the wrong direction. Yesterday there were two accidents on the Parkway involving drivers who got on the Parkway going in the wrong direction.

http://www.wral.com/news/national_world/national/story/5662046/

One of these, involving a mother driving a minivan with her children and her nieces, resulted in the deaths of the woman driver, 4/5 children in the minivan and three people in the SUV she hit. There was a previous wrong-way accident in the other direction about twenty miles away earlier in the day.

Apparently the Parkway has several places where cross-streets enter with traffic lights or stop signs and are potential spots for confusion. If anyone is planning on using the Parkway, be careful.

DavidEBSmith

So, putting aside the risk of dying in a ball of fire, is the Taconic State Parkway a worthwhile ride?

If one were to be coming from the west on US 6 and catch the Parkway at, where, Peekskill? and one was heading north toward, say, Saratoga, is the Taconic worth the extra time over I-87? What about US 9 or 9A?

roadscholar
So, putting aside the risk of dying in a ball of fire, is the Taconic State Parkway a worthwhile ride?

Definitely worthwhile. It's not terribly exciting, but is one of the more picturesque (possibly almost zen-like :)) stretches of roadway in the vicinity. An older divided 4-lane with almost continuous sweepers and big rolling hills. No towns, billboards, or commercial traffic (trucks and even small trailers aren't allowed).

Certainly faster than Rt.9 with all it's small towns full of City escapees. Slower (and less frantic) than 87 though, a six-lane packed suburban rat race headed out of town. Been on it a few times with no accidents observed, but as anywhere, mini-van and SUV drivers generally should be given extra caution.

Taconic is a great ride. But a couple of other things to be aware of:

No breakdown lanes

More than it's share of speed traps

If one were to be coming from the west on US 6 and catch the Parkway at, where, Peekskill? and one was heading north toward, say, Saratoga, is the Taconic worth the extra time over I-87? What about US 9 or 9A?

If you are coming in on Rt 6 it means you will be crossing the Hudson via the Bear Mountain Bridge. Make a left onto 9D and in approx 8.6 mi in Cold Spring make a right onto RT 301 which will take you to the Taconic.(you will be crossing over RT 9)

The Taconic is WELL worth it over I-87 (and wont even take much longer) and I’d stay off of Rt 9 (not very scenic and it has a lot of lights). This one is a no-brainer in favor of the Taconic. The only other route I would consider going north to Saratoga would be the back roads through western Dutchess and Columbia counties (Great riding however this will take much longer)

NO TRUCKS, so usually less accidents. Yet there's more deer than any other road I have seen. I love the sweepers but keep your eyes peeled for sheriffs. Under 70 is usually ok but ya never know.

roadscholar

Just be careful going back south, next weekend is the 40th anniversary of Woodstock, anything could happen. :grin:

Archived