IGNORED

Battery - Quality/Strength Which Is Best

pokorskij

Replacement battery for R1200RT. (Original battery approaching 4th anniversary, and last night after stopping for fuel gave an indication of getting weak at starting. Fine this morning, but I am thinking of replacing before total failure.)

BMW Batt. 12 volt, 19 ah, ? CCA

Odyssey PC680 12 v, 17 ah, 220 CCA (website has a story about the importance of this spec.

Universal 12 v, 22 ah, 420 CCA

Westco 12v, 20 ah, 275 CCA.

I have read the various postings on batteries etc.

Just looking at specs, the Universal seems to be the strongest.

Any battery experts out there who can enlighten and explain to us how the specs might be played with to make a battery seem better than it actually is? The Odyssey website talks about the CCA test standard, and lists their CCA at 5, 10, 20 second, but then stops not listing the 30 second result. Although I did find the 220 CCA in another area.

What battery is the best from the standpoint of starting power/strength?

Let's keep price out of the analysis, thanks.

I replaced my original gel with the Odyssey because the original seemed very weak in cold weather.. The Odyssey was no better. I replaced the Odyssey with a Universal and I can notice a significant improvement in the power at crank up..

Sometimes specs are only as trustworthy as the manufacturer. If price is no object then the Odyssey would be my battery of choice, if cost-effectiveness was an issue then I'd go with the Universal.

Can you explain why you would select the Odyssey when the specs don't seem up to par against the others?

Thanks

Using Westco's in both RT's (1150 and 1200)........No drilling out of posts required........Just requires a small shim.....

Pokorskij, the AH capacity & the cold cranking amps don’t always go hand in hand.. I have used both the Westco & the UB12220 with good success.. In fact I have even cobbled the UB12220 into my GoldWing & it cranks OK in sub freezing weather..

In fact I just bought a UB12220 from Staab battery (for another project) last week & paid $41.95 for it +$10.00 shipping to my door..

The only limitation I have found on the UB12220 is they have rather fragile battery posts & take a little shimming to retain tightly in the battery tray..

Personally, I haven’t ever used the Odyssey in a motorcycle as I don’t like gel-cell batteries for motorcycle use..

Twisty

What I was hinting at is that sometimes specs from established manufacturers may seem modest compared to an inexpensive competitor, but that's because they are conducted with more, err, shall we say attention to detail (to say it nicely.) Also peak performance specs off of the assembly line don't necessarily speak to how well performance will be maintained over years of service.

That said, I can't say that the $50 Universal is any less of a battery then a $150 Odyssey and in fact I have a Universal waiting to replace an Odyssey in order to find out. Only time will tell.

Personally, I haven’t ever used the Odyssey in a motorcycle as I don’t like gel-cell batteries for motorcycle use..

The Odyssey is an AGM battery, not gell.

I always use the oem battery. If you subscribe to the viewpoint that we ride our bikes further than most, then the warranty issue is important to me. If the oem goes out on a trip and its covered its a dealer trip at no cost.

I always use the oem battery. If you subscribe to the viewpoint that we ride our bikes further than most, then the warranty issue is important to me. If the oem goes out on a trip and its covered its a dealer trip at no cost.

digger2, I guess that depends on where you ride & what day of the week..

The BMW OEM battery is only covered for 2 years from the day bike put in service & that assumes a BMW dealer within a reasonable distance of your breakdown point.. A lot us ride in places far from a BMW dealer so just riding to a close by dealer isn’t an option.. Then,, don’t breakdown on a Sunday or Holiday or at night as no BMW dealer will be open..

On the other hand if I am using a $50.00 battery I just toss it then & drop by a Wall Mart & buy what ever will fit & get me home.. I can buy a lot of UB12220 batteries for the $176.00 that BMW charges..

I have also seen more-than-should new or newer BMW gel-cell batteries fail (BMW had a run of bad ones for a while) ,, these are not 5 year old batteries either but some less then a year old.. In fact I have so little trust in the OEM BMW gel battery that I am pulling the gel battery form my 2009 RT & installing a 2 year old UB12220 for an upcoming trip I have planned..

Twisty

markgoodrich

Here's a lot of good information about battery types:

http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm

The TV program "Modern Marvels" did a segment on batteries, specifically Odyssey batteries. The program touted the Odyssey as the best, due to solid lead plates versus uh, something else, and other reasons I've forgotten. After watching the program I was ready to run out and buy a bunch of them. That was over a year ago, and I'm still using the factory battery.

Here's a site that sells Odysseys for around $120 or so: http://www.batteryweb.com/odyssey-list-motorcycles.htm

And here's the Odyssey site:

http://www.odysseyfactory.com/

I have no idea what battery you should buy, but all this information is interesting.

I just replaced the original on my 2005 with the UB12220 about 2 months ago and the cranking power is significantly better than the original (so was the price).

Battery Mart currently lists the PC680 for $115.41, including shipping, Amazon lists them for about $105, not including shipping.

I can't speak to the R1200 bikes, but on an R1100RT, checking electrolyte level is a major PITA, and I would never again use a battery that requires checking electrolyte levels. I replaced such with an Odyssey a couple of months ago, and cranking speed is noticeably faster. However, more noticeable is that I no longer need to use a trickle charger. I rarely ride the RT in the summer because it's so hot, so it may go several weeks without being started. I found that when I plugged in the trickle charger, it went green in less than a minute, so I just stopped using it, as "topping off" the battery wasn't necessary.

Moshe is the battery guru here, and he has had very positive things to say about the Odyssey. Because of the effort, I would prefer to replace an expensive battery at longer intervals, although price is no guarantee of longevity -- batteries can croak without much warning.

OEM BMW batteries on my R1200RT have lasted less than 2 years before failing, the first being under warranty,

Despite bike being regularly used, and in no extremes of heat or cold.

Just replaced with an Odyssey PC680. I'm a sucker for good marketing!

Fits easily, the Od battery is slightly smaller than the original, so all you need to do is to pack out the clip, I sliced up an eraser to do this job. No mods needed.

Time will tell...

markgoodrich

So, on the R1200RT, which Odyssey is right? There's the PC680 and the PC680MJ? And which terminals? SAE or the L-shaped brass brackets?

I think my original equipment battery is getting weak. Personally I like the low cost and decent quality of Walmart stuff (use their oil & filters) and I'm thinking about a motorcycle/ATV battery from them. How do I figure out which is the right size. I know that cars have a concept of size groups so if I need a battery for my Corvette I can buy a size group 86. Is there a similar system for motorcycles? What is the right one for an R1200R?

Dale, you really have to be careful with WalMart/K-Mart batteries.. While there are a few that will fit & probably start your bike OK most are not the proper type.. Your bike was shipped with more than likely a gel battery & or maybe a glass-mat type. .Both of those are a sealed type battery.. If you install a WalMart battery you need to find a sealed battery like your bike came with or you will need to add some sort of battery vent & overflow hose to your bike to vent the battery acid fumes away from under your seat area..

I haven’t looked at WalMart batteries in a while but at one time most were standard lead acid vented type.. Obviously if WalMart even has the sealed gel or glass-mat batteries that will fit your bike they will be a fair amount more money..

Twisty

So, on the R1200RT, which Odyssey is right? There's the PC680 and the PC680MJ? And which terminals? SAE or the L-shaped brass brackets?

My PC680 came with the L-shaped brass brackets in the box -- you shouldn't need to pay extra for them. Purchased within the past 90 days from BatteryMart.com

...In fact I have so little trust in the OEM BMW gel battery that I am pulling the gel battery form my 2009 RT & installing a 2 year old UB12220 for an upcoming trip I have planned..

That seems like overkill to me. The chances of a 2009 OEM battery failing at such a youthful age is small; probably less likely than the 2 year old one you are replacing it with. I submit that the OEM battery has gotten a bad rap based on a few anecdotal stories. The factory Gel battery in my own RT is still cranking like new after more than 4 years and 54K miles. Incidently, I have never used any kind of charger on it. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I don't think this kind of service life is rare at all.

Jay

...In fact I have so little trust in the OEM BMW gel battery that I am pulling the gel battery form my 2009 RT & installing a 2 year old UB12220 for an upcoming trip I have planned..

That seems like overkill to me. The chances of a 2009 OEM battery failing at such a youthful age is small; probably less likely than the 2 year old one you are replacing it with. I submit that the OEM battery has gotten a bad rap based on a few anecdotal stories. The factory Gel battery in my own RT is still cranking like new after more than 4 years and 54K miles. Incidently, I have never used any kind of charger on it. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I don't think this kind of service life is rare at all.

Jay

Jay, you know you are exactly correct.. Way overkill.. Just because I have had 2 trips interrupted now from fellow riders with late model BMW’s (an 08 & an 09 BMW) that failed their low mileage OEM gel battery means nothing..

In both cases the battery didn’t give any warning like cranking slow in the mornings or headlights dimming at idle—just went bad in on hell of a hurry..

So basically what you are saying is I should keep my OEM battery for my trip into an area that has no BMW dealers, very few motorcycle dealers period & not even many places to buy any battery period?

Does this also mean you will pay my 400+ mile towing cost if my OEM battery fails?

Twisty

So basically what you are saying is I should keep my OEM battery for my trip into an area that has no BMW dealers, very few motorcycle dealers period & not even many places to buy any battery period?

Does this also mean you will pay my 400+ mile towing cost if my OEM battery fails?

Of course not, and I'm not trying to tell you what you "should" do, it is just not what I would do, and have not done. I used my 3 year old battery on a 12,000 mile trip last year to the very kinds of places you describe. It served me well, and still is. Some, including you apparently, would never take such a terrible risk. Towing for a battery problem? RT's can easily be push or jump-started, and I carried provisions for this possibility.

By all means, do as you see fit. I just disagree with you on this particular point, which I might add is very rare.

Have a great trip.

Jay

Jay, tell you what.. I’ll put a completely dead battery in my 1200RT here & you come by a push start it OK? How about we put $1000.00 on the results.. I’ll even let you push it down my paved driveway not in the soft sand I might be parked in..

Battery is dead (that means no power).. No power means no spark & no fuel injection,, alternator can’t make any power until it gets some power to excite the rotor,, but the battery is dead remember so no power from that.. You would have a better chance of push stating a 747 jet.. What provision do you carry for that?

Now it can be jumped,, as long there is something to jump from.. If I am camping out in the boonies who an I going to jump it from? (need a lot of lightning bugs to jump start a BMW).. BTW what provisions do you carry for that?

Twisty

Twisty, I know all of these things. Read my response again. I know that a totally flat battery cannot power the FI, but the fuel pump does not require much power. Therefore, many times a failing battery can indeed run the FI even if it cannot turn the starter. If it cannot even do that, then a jump will usually work, though there is the issue of finding a donor vehicle. In any case, I'm sure I could avoid a $400 tow. Any of us on this board would come and help you out for half that much. :grin:

My point was that a brand new 2009 battery is probably less likely to fail than a 2 year old one, regardless of the type of construction. There have been mis-manufactured batteries of all ilks, hence, examples to the contrary.

It seems that we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one, Twisty. I'm OK with that.

Jay

Nice n Easy Rider
Twisty, I know all of these things. Read my response again. I know that a totally flat battery cannot power the FI, but the fuel pump does not require much power. Therefore, many times a failing battery can indeed run the FI even if it cannot turn the starter. If it cannot even do that, then a jump will usually work, though there is the issue of finding a donor vehicle. In any case, I'm sure I could avoid a $400 tow. Any of us on this board would come and help you out for half that much. :grin:

My point was that a brand new 2009 battery is probably less likely to fail than a 2 year old one, regardless of the type of construction. There have been mis-manufactured batteries of all ilks, hence, examples to the contrary.

It seems that we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one, Twisty. I'm OK with that.

Jay

Any special advice regarding 'jump-starting' an RT that you fellows can share? (just in case). I'm heading to the UN with a 2 yr old OEM battery but I will be on major roads.

Paul Mihalka

If I had a battery emergency on the road, I would try to find any 12v maintenace-free battery of at least 12AH thats fits in the bike. If needed I would fill any gaps around the battery, probably with pieces of wood, so it does not move around. I know it would get me home.

Note: the stock battery in the R1200GS is 14AH, and does the job.

Moshe is the battery guru here, and he has had very positive things to say about the Odyssey. Because of the effort, I would prefer to replace an expensive battery at longer intervals, although price is no guarantee of longevity -- batteries can croak without much warning.

I don't know about battery guru, but I am a strong supporter of Enersys batteries (manufacturer of "Odyssey" Series) as a result of my 12 years of experience in working with them on the UPS Systems we manufacture at my job, 90% of which are destined for military / harsh environment applications.

Without repeating my earlier posts, what's being compared here is AH and CCA, to which I reply: Just get the most you can fit in the space you've got. That's a no-brainer.

Where the Enersys batteries are head and shoulders above anything else are in other areas, like:

1) Lifecycle - rated for 8-10 years @ +25C, vs. about 4-6 years on average for the others. That's TYPICAL, not iron clad.

2) Op Temp Range - compare it to the others, and think about how hot it is in the battery tray of your bike. Heat is your battery's #1 enemy. With the metal jacket, op temp range can be pushed to +65C - pretty incredible. The jacket just keeps the battery from deforming in the heat - the actual battery is the same, and the jacket is certainly not necessary in a motorcycle application.

3) Ruggedized to meet MIL-standards for shock and vibration - the others are not.

In the military applications we serve, there is really no choice but to use Enersys if AGM is called for - not great for us because they're expensive and sometimes long lead, but their performance is simply beyond anything else on the market.

My controller has had his Enersys in his Harley Softail since 1998, still going. The one in my wife's '71 R60/5 is either 9 or 11 years old (don't remember). So yes, they're more expensive, but you are getting what you pay for in many respects.

-MKL

Well as the original poster, I thank everyone for the input, comments etc.

In summary as I interpret the comments, it seems if you want the most powerful battery, ah and cca, it is the universal, but the quality is mediocre.

If you want quality, but not as strong in terms of Ah, and cca, the odyssey wins.

From experience, it seems batteries are unpredictable, a brand new one can go dead, and another can go for years without failure. Something of a hit or miss.

Not to debate or start an new discussion, but what added security is there in a strong battery, like the universal, if the battery post goes bad? In the end you are still stuck. And if the post is bad, even a jump won't be of use.

Well, my original battery is not dead yet, so I don't have to make up my mind yet. But I am leaning to the Odyssey, partly for quality, and partly to gain first hand experience, as I considered them for my auto. But I do like the higher cca of the universal.

Thanks again for all of the input.

Pokorskij, I haven’t ever dug into the CCA of the universal (I buy those little beauties for price not power)

Just make sure it is apples to apples & tested at the same temperature,, also make sure it is a valid rating (what’s to keep them from saying anything they want,, who polices that)..

If it is actually a little better CCA it might be due to case thickness.. Those Universals are not a heavy duty vehicle battery so probably have a thinner case wall & possibly thinner plate separators,, that allows more plate area in the same size case..

One thing I can say is the little ub12220 can easily crank my GoldWing at temps well below 0°f with 15w40 oil in it.. They usually last 4-5 years IF I don’t leave the key on too many times or leave the radio going overnight too many times.. That little battery is a little power house but isn’t a deep cycle so doesn’t like too many full depletions (but no motorcycle battery is good at that)

Twisty

PokorskijJust make sure it is apples to apples & tested at the same temperature,, also make sure it is a valid rating (what’s to keep them from saying anything they want,, who polices that)..

Excellent, very valid point. For applications where premium batteries are not used, we've had some pretty awful experiences with "standard" sealed maintenance free lead acid (or AGM) batteries not performing nearly as well as advertised. Most are made in China now, in the same factories but sold under dozens of different brand names. I can get them (like the Universal) for about $25 wholesale.

But in our line of work, where in some cases soldier's lives are on the line, we can't afford to take chances. Things are painstakingly tested in the lab, and you wouldn't believe just how inaccurate some of these advertisements are. Batteries delivering less than half their rated AH, dying within months when used within op temp range, shelf life of 2 months (Enersys is 2 YEARS), and on and on.

There is some over-concern with the idea of "strength." You don't need a nuclear reactor to fry an egg. An oilhead or hexhead can get by with a 14AH battery just fine. The Odyssey that fits is likely in the 16AH range - more than enough to start the machine under any circumstance one is likely to run into. You can likely fit up to 20AH in the space of an oilhead or hexhead tray, but to me the tradeoffs of the cheaper batteries aren't worth the cost savings, or worth a few AH more for that matter.

The OP should also note - on my former '74 R90/6, which had a Bosch starter with ENORMOUS inrush current draw, the standard battery there is around 23-26AH. I had a 16AH Enersys Genesis (very similar to Odyssey PC680 model) in mine for years, and it never had trouble supplying THAT starter. By comparison, I would guess a newer BMW's starter takes nowhere near the same current to operate.

-MKL

If I was really a jingoist, I would be riding a German motorcycle, or driving a Japanese car, but I'd like to point out that the Odyssey is one of the few things that is actually still made in the USA. Just sayin...

Dave_zoom_zoom

Twisty 1

Push starting a 747 jet?????

VERY GOOD! I can just picture that one. You crack me up!! :rofl:

Dave

My last OEM lasted about 18 months. I then bought an Odyssey off of Ebay in 2003 and its going strong....

I replaced the factory battery in my old k-bike with an Odyssey. I know the person that bought it and it's still going strong after 7 years.

When my RT battery dies I'll replace it with an Odyssey. In fact, given that mine will be 4 years old next year, I'll be replacing it next spring just in case. While I'm not as aggressive in replacement as Twisty, I think 4 years is about right regardless. Plus the fact that I've heard (via here) that the BMW batteries typically fail with little or no warning.

The battery in my wifes BMW convertible did that. No slow cranking, no indication of failure coming, just turned up dead one day (battery was 3.5 years old)

markgoodrich
I replaced the factory battery in my old k-bike with an Odyssey. I know the person that bought it and it's still going strong after 7 years.

When my RT battery dies I'll replace it with an Odyssey. In fact, given that mine will be 4 years old next year, I'll be replacing it next spring just in case. While I'm not as aggressive in replacement as Twisty, I think 4 years is about right regardless. Plus the fact that I've heard (via here) that the BMW batteries typically fail with little or no warning.

The battery in my wifes BMW convertible did that. No slow cranking, no indication of failure coming, just turned up dead one day (battery was 3.5 years old)

I wonder why the batteries simply fail like that? The one in my '06 is branded "Exide". It was in there when I bought the bike with 1100 miles on it. I assume it's the original battery.

To Moshe Levi, can you explain the Odyssey claim that the PC680 has 680 CCA for the firs five seconds as compared to the CCA claims of other batteries?

And if possible what the 5 second CCA might be of another battery that has for the sake of argument 330 CCA in the 30 second test.

Thanks.

To Moshe Levi, can you explain the Odyssey claim that the PC680 has 680 CCA for the firs five seconds as compared to the CCA claims of other batteries?

And if possible what the 5 second CCA might be of another battery that has for the sake of argument 330 CCA in the 30 second test.

Thanks.

I've had three batteries on my 05 RT. None failed..I replaced the original gel with the Odysssey because it barely turned over in cold weather. The Odyssey was no better..I replaced the Odyssey with the Universal and I can notice significant improvement in cold weather cranking with the Universal..

• 1 month later...

I need to get a new battery and was going to go with the odyssey. Am I correct in reading that it will arrive needing a charge? Where can I take it to get charged?

Thanks,

John

I need to get a new battery and was going to go with the odyssey. Am I correct in reading that it will arrive needing a charge? Where can I take it to get charged?

Thanks,

John

No, the Odyssey comes fully charged.

Jim :Cool:

Jim-

While Enersys is better than any other brand we have used, we have noted a very small % that are not 100% fully charged on arrival - not the fault of the manufacturer, but more a variable in how long a distributor or wholesaler has had the unit sitting around.

So, before installing any new battery in an vehicle - regardless of brand - ALWAYS charge it fully. It's cheap insurance and ensures long term performance. Battery chargers are readily available and very inexpensive at any motorcycle or auto parts store.

-MKL

In response to the poster regarding the modern marvels show about lead. The battery manufacturer mentioned that they use %99.9 pure lead. others use a lead alloy.

Just think back to the "old" days of unsealed batteries. If you had to top up the fluid you where to use distilled water so as to not add calcium or manganese and other minerals. The manufacturers of cheap batteries use impure lead alloys because it cost less. These alloys just like tap water WILL shorten the life span of a battery due to the impurity of those alloys.

A lead acid battery should contain lead and acid. Not sort of lead and acid.

• 1 month later...

Well I wonder what choice of batteries we have in Aus, I had a quick ring around (did not know if BMW would honour warranty on a 21 month old battery?) & my choices were some unknown Gel battery for just over AU$200 or a no-name chinese one for a little under AU$200. The standard BMW AGM battery (Exide technolgies) was just over AU$400!

Lucky for me that they did or I would have been hunting for one.

The old factory fit Yuasa battery in my FZR1000 lasted over 7 years before it started to weaken now why couldn't I get one of those for my BMW?

Cheers Teddy

Battery failed on a 2009 RT (6000 miles) on my way to Duluth a few days ago. Called dealer who stated that there have been others in a rash of bad OEM batteries. Warranty will cover, but no OEM battery in northern Michigan. Ended up at a Honda dealer who replaced battery with a Yuasa YTX20HL-BS 18ah 310 CCA and more importantly with right dimensions, posts on right sides, etc. Clamped right in with enough purchase from the clamp that firmly held it in place. The bike was subjected to cold starts in the 25 degree F and turned over like summer, starting immediately with Mobil Delvac 15W40 in the crankcase for this trip. When I returned home I obtained a 2" x 6" x 3/4" rubber block from a local jobber. This was to replace the extrusion from the OEM battery and gave me a chance to be anal but really was not necessary. The Yuasa was AGM lead acid maintenance free and I can tell you based on my and other's experience I have had it with gel. The battery was $90.00.

I've used Deka sealed AGM bats for years. They are awesome. Made in USA. Not the least expensive though. Peace of mind on long trips away from 120V AC for the charger.

R1200RT takes an ETX20L

Deka batteries are made by East Penn Manufacturing: http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/

The Power Sports line has batteries for bikes, etc.: http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/assets/base/0278.pdf

They do about every battery under the sun including military.

Hope this helps - tom

• 4 years later...
I've used Deka sealed AGM bats for years. They are awesome. Made in USA. Not the least expensive though. Peace of mind on long trips away from 120V AC for the charger.

R1200RT takes an ETX20L

Deka batteries are made by East Penn Manufacturing: http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/

The Power Sports line has batteries for bikes, etc.: http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/assets/base/0278.pdf

They do about every battery under the sun including military.

Hope this helps - tom

Just ordered a Deka for my R1200RT from www.sepbatteries.com for $75.95 with free shipping. Before ordering, I did some google research and Deka's Power Sport line has a good reputation; maybe not quite as good as Odyssey but not near as expensive either. BTW, for hard core Odyssey fans, SEP has the PC680 for 101.77 with L brackets and free shipping,

I'm using a Shorai LFX18?1-BS12* (the recommended battery is LFX21) which exceeds the CCA and AH rating of the Odessy PC680 and the factory battery. I had to use almost all of the included spacers to make it fit in my RT since it's significantly smaller than the OEM and Odessy, but it's in there nice and tight.

I think the LFX21 is recommended because it fits better and is more expensive. I paid $154.30 for the LFX18. It weighs 2.19 lbs.

I got the idea of using the LFX18 from a posting on the ADV forum.

*I don't remember if it was the A1 or L1, whichever one has the positive post in the right location.

I just pulled the trigger on the Odyssey PC680 from autoplicity.com. $104.22 delivered. I will find out if it includes the "L" brackets once it gets here. My 3.5 year old BMW battery has been needing a charge almost every weekend, and I ride the bike almost daily. I think it's from not going over 15 minutes per ride weekdays, but it still should not drain that fast.

When I put a charger on it, it's up in 20 minutes at 2amps, so I don't think it's a lack of charging.

I'm using a Shorai LFX18?1-BS12* (the recommended battery is LFX21) which exceeds the CCA and AH rating of the Odessy PC680 and the factory battery. I had to use almost all of the included spacers to make it fit in my RT since it's significantly smaller than the OEM and Odessy, but it's in there nice and tight.

I think the LFX21 is recommended because it fits better and is more expensive. I paid $154.30 for the LFX18. It weighs 2.19 lbs.

I got the idea of using the LFX18 from a posting on the ADV forum.

*I don't remember if it was the A1 or L1, whichever one has the positive post in the right location.

I considered the Shorai but my research on the ADV formum turned up starting problems in cold weather (below freezing) with the Shorai and some take issue with the way Shorai comes up with their "equivalent CCA" value. And then, there's this youtube video doing an actual load test on a Shorai. All that convinced me to save my money and get something else.

Yes, I read those same things, and others.

One, I live in Florida, and two, even when really cold, the battery does warm up after a few attempts (I've tried it at 40 degrees, colder than I wanted to ride in anyway and it worked) and starts my synthetic oil using bike just fine. As far as their CCA rating, my last battery was a PC680 and the Shorai seems to crank the bike as well as the Odyssey and the weight reduction is worth it for a 157 pounder like myself.

I'm sure it's not for everyone, but it works for me, and I don't have to keep a battery tender on it if I'm unable to ride for a month. I'm out of town a lot and when I get making sure I remember to put the tender on is just one less thing I have to worry about when out of town. Battery tenders really increase the life of a battery.

Dave,

I hadn't seen the YouTube videos when I bought mine, so anyone reading my post should check them out before buying.

So far so good for me, but I wouldn't recommend the LFX18 based on what I've seen on YouTube.

Dave,

I hadn't seen the YouTube videos when I bought mine, so anyone reading my post should check them out before buying.

So far so good for me, but I wouldn't recommend the LFX18 based on what I've seen on YouTube.

I'm a 150 pounder but after adding in the weight of the RT, I didn't think the Shorai would provide a noticeable weight reduction. Although central Texas winter weather is mild compared to many parts of the US, there are many mornings with temperatures in the 20s that I ride. Considering the LFX21 is $200 or more, I checked for alternatives. The Deka, like the Odessey, is a deep cycle battery, so it can go longer periods without a battery tender than many other batteries. Only time will tell if the Deka fits the "sweet spot" for price to performance for me.

Archived