R12GS - Suggest Checking Fork Clamp Torques

Ken H.

While having the 6K service done on our GS at Bentonville, AR on Fridaty (nice bunch of people there BTW) they mentioned they have been seeing a lot of R1200GSs where the torque on the lower four fork clamp bolts is significantly below spec. Indeed two of my four were approaching loose. eek.gif Something to check and be aware of everyone. The spec. is 25 NM.

Oh and they charged me a very reasonable $US158 for the 6K. What a deal! thumbsup.gif

Cheers!

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the heads up about the fork clamps. I went out and looked, and I don't see all four of the bolts. Can you be more specific as to location on the forks?

Thanks again, and I second your positive comments about the Bentonville folks.

Mike

Hi,

I'm not Ken, but if you look 1/2 way up the tubes toward the inside rear/near the brake lines you will see 2 hex bolts on each side.

This has been mentioned before in the UK. I checked mine a month ago.

Ride safe.

$158? Did they do the whole service, or did you do part of it yourself beforehand (oil change, etc.)?
No that was the whole works. Oil and filter change, brake bleed, valve adjust, TB sync, run all diag on the Motronic and ABS, etc. What a deal!

Thanks ken and Marty!

Checked the torque on the bolts. Two of them were a little loose, two were spot on. I guess I need to buy the CD as I'd like the check all the torque values that I can reach. S**t can fall off at the most difficult times!

Mike

Another bole that was VERY loose was my muffler to cat clamp. I put a little loctite on mine. Also the exhaust clamps at the cylinder were a wee bit loose too.

Barry

Archived