IGNORED

Differance 1200RT v 1300GT

ChuckS

OK, so now I am thinking.... maybe I want the GT.. could be just the new bike jones.. I have about 40k on my 05 Rt and I do like it.. I have it dialed in with all that I need. I am wondering about you folks that have changed over. What works what doesn't? how about environment factors... living in the Great PNW it is important that it covers me well. I am 6ft and a smidgen under 200lb. Wind noise and buffeting is a issue with me..

Well its out there.. let me know what I may be getting into... Thanks!

OK, so now I am thinking.... maybe I want the GT.. could be just the new bike jones.. I have about 40k on my 05 Rt and I do like it.. I have it dialed in with all that I need. I am wondering about you folks that have changed over. What works what doesn't? how about environment factors... living in the Great PNW it is important that it covers me well. I am 6ft and a smidgen under 200lb. Wind noise and buffeting is a issue with me..

The GT doesn't provide quite the coverage of the RT so there is a little more noise and buffeting, and on a wet day in the PNW you'd have to be pretty careful with the GT throttle so there may some reasons to prefer the R-bike. Well, until a sunny PNW day that is...

The GT doesn't provide quite the coverage of the RT so there is a little more noise and buffeting, and on a wet day in the PNW you'd have to be pretty careful with the GT throttle so there may some reasons to prefer the R-bike. Well, until a sunny PNW day that is...

I did note that the bike is more breezy - i liked that and it is a personal preference - regarding the rain I would expect the ASC to help out with that :grin:

living in the Great PNW it is important that it covers me well. I am 6ft and a smidgen under 200lb. Wind noise and buffeting is a issue with me..

I haven't ridden either bike in question, so my comments are general in nature:

I often hear people talking about buffeting and wind noise, and the solutions voiced are generally more wind protection, however it seems that mostly this leads to new problems with wind management.

After going through a lot of that with my RS, I was surprised to find that if I got my head completely out of any bike-affected air and into clean wind, the problems went away, and I loved it.

So my present bike has almost no windscreen at all, and it's great that way. Sure your gear needs to adapt a bit to compensate (warmer gear, better neck coverage for example) but once sorted it's just fine in all temps. And in the rain your shield stays clear at speed :)

So I guess what I'm saying is that even respecting the amount of wet weather riding you do up there, less may be more. Hell, you might even want to try out a KS :)

I've had the fortune of riding/owning several late model BMW touring bikes, so I put together a handling comparison that may help. Ok, my K12GT it is the older brother of the K13GT, so you need to keep that in mind. I have a tendancy to push the big tourers, so keep that in mind too when you review my ratings.

large.jpg

I really love my KGT, but if I spent most of my time riding in the mountains I would be getting back on the RT.

I've had the fortune of riding/owning several late model BMW touring bikes, so I put together a handling comparison that may help. Ok, my K12GT it is the older brother of the K13GT, so you need to keep that in mind. I have a tendancy to push the big tourers, so keep that in mind too when you review my ratings.

large.jpg

I really love my KGT, but if I spent most of my time riding in the mountains I would be getting back on the RT.

Sorry, but I couldn't disagree more on the stability and turbulance issues. I have ridden the GT many times and thought I wanted one , and I own an '05 RT.. It is more stable then the GT by far.. It is also more comfortable for longer distances as well. YMMV.

RichEdwards
Sorry, but I couldn't disagree more on the stability and turbulance issues. I have ridden the GT many times and thought I wanted one , and I own an '05 RT.. It is more stable then the GT by far.. It is also more comfortable for longer distances as well. YMMV.

Nope. I strongly disagree. But that's the nature of motorcycle opinions. Love my GT a whole lot more than I liked my RT.

You are not the only one that feels that way. I've heard it before.

I too owned an '05RT for 35K miles and it is a very stable bike; mine was equiped with Ohlins, but the GT is just a rock and I've ridden it in 40-50 mile per hour cross winds, on my way to Big Bend, thunder storms with hail, on my way to SLC, following big rigs, and riding on 3 miles of gravel roads and hills on the way to Presido...just a rock solid platform.

It always amazes me how two riders can have very disimilar experiences on the same model.

Wondering if the GT you rode was equipped with the large top case by any chance? While very functional I've found it to be noticeably detrimental to stability in wind.

All the GTs that I have ridden were brand new at the dealer with nothing but the side bags.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the GT.. It is fast and smooth. The Ergonomics don't really work with me fresh from the Dealer. I wasn't in a position to buy one. I purchased the RT from the Dealer when my LT had lost seals and a clutch. They took it in trade and made me a very reasonable offer for the bike and the cash at trading for my '03 LT was small enough where I could handle it.

I really wanted the GT but was having trouble justifying the ergos for my riding styl and habits.

Here's what I did.

I went to BMW's Web site and lifted a shot of both bikes. They have the same size wheels, so I scaled the pictures using the rear wheel. Then I laid the RT over the GT and set the opacity to 75%.

GTvsRT1.jpg

Then I put a red dot on the RT bars, pegs, seat and front wheel.

GTvsRT2.jpg

Last I removed the RT. This left the GT and markers from the RT.

GTvsRT3.jpg

That is ART - awesome and incredible visual display.

As a new owner of a GT I give the RT slightly more protection mostly due to not having the mirrors in front of your hands and the GT a slightly more aggresive seating style.

However one of the things I immediately noted on the GT was that the GT has the thinner tank - did not have my legs splayed out - 6' w/34" inseam and the seating area was firmer and larger.

On the softer oem seat on the RT I would sink and stay in one spot - on the GT i sit "higher" in the terms of not sinking with ability to move forward and backward.

The GT is a better fit for me than the RT (which totally suprised me as I was quite comfertable on it) and that was a big selling point when road-testing and now regular riding.

Again - awesome work on the pictures - plus I like the color of the GT selected!

Here's what I did.

I went to BMW's Web site and lifted a shot of both bikes. They have the same size wheels, so I scaled the pictures using the rear wheel. Then I laid the RT over the GT and set the opacity to 75%.

An absolutely brilliant presentation 3Putt, thank you for the effort you've put into this visual aid. I'm looking towards an eventual replacement for my 2000 model R1100RT, attracted to both the R1200RT and K1300GT, just taking things very slowly at this stage to determine just what sort of bike I need for the future. Your presentation definitely assists in the decision making process.

Great job Tom!

I'm surprised that the seat/peg positions are as close as they are... to me the GT pegs feel noticeably higher and further back, but apparently the actual difference is rather small. Also, hard to tell but it looks like the bars are not adjusted to their highest position in the GT photo. If they were the difference between that too and the RT would be less. I guess differences of mere inches makes for noticeable differences in ergonomics. Interesting.

Lets_Play_Two
Great job Tom!

I'm surprised that the seat/peg positions are as close as they are... to me the GT pegs feel noticeably higher and further back, but apparently the actual difference is rather small. Also, hard to tell but it looks like the bars are not adjusted to their highest position in the GT photo. If they were the difference between that too and the RT would be less. I guess differences of mere inches makes for noticeable differences in ergonomics. Interesting.

The GT seat appears to be lower which might make the pegs seem higher.

Great job Tom!

I'm surprised that the seat/peg positions are as close as they are...

GTvsRT3.jpg

Actually the peg and handlebar difference is dramatic. Very small changes in peg and bar position can have a profound impact on comfort and the way the rider fits into the bike. Cyclists use fit kits to come up with the ideal reach, seat height and leg foot position. It would be neat if motorcyclist had a something similar. Think how many times we've heard about a rider that is 6 months into ownership and is selling the bike because of "fit" problems.

Actually the peg and handlebar difference is dramatic.

In actual feel, yes they are. I was only remarking that given the very different perceived ergonomics between the two bikes I would have expected the physical differences to be greater then they are. It apparently is indeed a game of inches.

I think it would be cool if the adjustable bars on the K-GT could be electrically moved at will, similar to the windscreen. I'd love to be able to lower the bars for the twisties and raise them for the interstate.

Sorry Lime, but you forgot the looks column.

Add that in and the '03-04 is your clear winner.

:grin:

When you add the smoothness of the K to the comfort column, that is a big plus.

Both bikes are a bit too upright for me.

Anyways, I thought the Harkley Spurtster was the best bike out there and we should all buy one of dem.

Living down the road from you I understand the weather protection issue. I find the GT doesn't provide the protection from wind or rain as well as my RT did. The narrow front profile has the wind hitting my shoulders and hands so I added the Aero Guard which improved the protection during the winter and rain. It took me awhile to get used to a more sportish riding position. That said I can ride this bike all day and would be hard pressed to go back to a RT as good a bike as that is. Oh, Wayne at South Sound wants to make a deal on the 1300GT demo they have. ;) Good luck with your decision.

I went from a 2005 R1200RT to a 2008 K1200GT (with a few bikes in between!) Living in a warmer climate, the lesser wind protection afforded by the GT is a strength. The RT was insufferably hot riding around in SoCal in the summer. My perception of the stability issue... my RT, with or without the topcase, always felt a bit skittish on the highway. There was a front-end lift thing going on (was it aerodynamic?) that just doesn't happen on the GT. The GT feels far more planted on the highway. IMO the GT handles unsettled air better, like when passing through a truck's wake at high speed. The RT always gave a little flutter or sidestep. The GT just cuts through.

FWIW I currently own and love an 07 R1200R. Our shop recently received a red K1300GT, and as usual I grabbed a test ride on it ASAP. The day I road the RR (it was the release day bike, and the first one in the state) consisted of a 40 mile loop I generally use to test bikes. I had a really wide grin on my face the whole time and came back to the shop and plunked down a deposit.

I happen to be a MSF/Riders Edge instructor for the local Harley shop, so I ride a lot of bikes to be able to discuss them with my students. Most of them are "ho-hum" and do not move me one way or the other. The RR did and got hold of me big time.

So now I go ride the K13GT. Wow !. The only reason I do not have the KGT keeping the RR company right now is that I just plunked down that purchase price on a big generator for my house to be ready for hurricane season this year (I live in south Louisiana). I am going to take the Boss for a ride on the K this morning and see what she thinks about the bike with the wide case on the rear.

Here is a link to my original ride report, which I will supplement after the ride today:

http://www.dualsportridersoflouisiana.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7142&highlight=k1300

Like everyone says, Beware the Test Ride; Bring your wallet!

FWIW I currently own and love an 07 R1200R. Our shop recently received a red K1300GT, and as usual I grabbed a test ride on it ASAP. The day I road the RR (it was the release day bike, and the first one in the state) consisted of a 40 mile loop I generally use to test bikes. I had a really wide grin on my face the whole time and came back to the shop and plunked down a deposit.

I happen to be a MSF/Riders Edge instructor for the local Harley shop, so I ride a lot of bikes to be able to discuss them with my students. Most of them are "ho-hum" and do not move me one way or the other. The RR did and got hold of me big time.

So now I go ride the K13GT. Wow !. The only reason I do not have the KGT keeping the RR company right now is that I just plunked down that purchase price on a big generator for my house to be ready for hurricane season this year (I live in south Louisiana). I am going to take the Boss for a ride on the K this morning and see what she thinks about the bike with the wide case on the rear.

Here is a link to my original ride report, which I will supplement after the ride today:

http://www.dualsportridersoflouisiana.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7142&highlight=k1300

Like everyone says, Beware the Test Ride; Bring your wallet!

Great write up agree with everything you said

This bike is fantastic - not to take anything away from my former RT, but the two can not be compared.

• 3 weeks later...

No disrespect meant but you must be kidding. I love R bikes and have owned many. Have also owned a number of K bikes. The K bikes really ride on rails by comparison. The Rs are more maneuverable in the twisties.

Anyways, I thought the Harkley Spurtster was the best bike out there and we should all buy one of dem.

I have a very tricked out Sportster and a K12GT. BOTH are great bikes. I wish I had as few problems with my GT as with the Sportster. :-(

large.jpg

One more factor to consider. The failure rate for K bike transmissions is much higher than R bikes. At least according to the data being kept at the Santa Fe shop.

One more factor to consider. The failure rate for K bike transmissions is much higher than R bikes. At least according to the data being kept at the Santa Fe shop.

:S I'm not sure I've even heard of a K-bike transmission failure... do you mean final drive?

:S I'm not sure I've even heard of a K-bike transmission failure... do you mean final drive?

K bike tranny failures are common at Santa Fe BMW...R tranny failures are not. Just reporting what has been seen in the field.

After a K1300GT demo ride at the MOA rally, I was amp'd to trade-in my R1150RT for a used K1200GT...

Yes, about failures and other various resolved and unresolved complaints on the K1200GT and K1300GT. See them at any one of the K-bike forums for more details.

Between the mechanical failures/issues and the price of (even used) K****GT's along with the slight performance advantage led me to the Concours14. But, when you begin perusing their forums, you learn the Connie14's have problems too.

Guess I'm just not ready to trade-in my problems for a new set of problems yet. From my experience riding the R1150RT, R1200RT and K1300GT - the GT is the smoothest, most powerful, best handling smile-maker of the bunch. Pushing the corners with my R1150RT is pleasant, but hammering the corners with the K1300GT is euphoric. And I still want one despite the cost and noted mechanical issues.

Also, my wife says I am only allowed to have BMW, because she likes our BMW riding group and (although they don't care what you ride) doesn't want to be 'fringe' members. No Connie14 for us I guess.

..... Pushing the corners with my R1150RT is pleasant, but hammering the corners with the K1300GT is euphoric. ....

How true those words are :thumbsup:

After a K1300GT demo ride at the MOA rally, I was amp'd to trade-in my R1150RT for a used K1200GT...

Yes, about failures and other various resolved and unresolved complaints on the K1200GT and K1300GT. See them at any one of the K-bike forums for more details.

Between the mechanical failures/issues and the price of (even used) K****GT's along with the slight performance advantage led me to the Concours14. But, when you begin perusing their forums, you learn the Connie14's have problems too.

Guess I'm just not ready to trade-in my problems for a new set of problems yet. From my experience riding the R1150RT, R1200RT and K1300GT - the GT is the smoothest, most powerful, best handling smile-maker of the bunch. Pushing the corners with my R1150RT is pleasant, but hammering the corners with the K1300GT is euphoric. And I still want one despite the cost and noted mechanical issues.

Also, my wife says I am only allowed to have BMW, because she likes our BMW riding group and (although they don't care what you ride) doesn't want to be 'fringe' members. No Connie14 for us I guess.

I was just given the opportunity to put almost 100 miles on a K1300GT today. I tested it in slow speed traffic, canyons and twisties, highway high speed riding and accelerating. It is a great bike. Coming off a R1200RT '05, I can honestly say it is very fast, but it is NOT smoother then MY RT with spungy grips and weighted bar ends. In fact, at higher speeds and RPMs, it seems a bit buzzier.. With the exception of the horn, and seat, it is a wonderful ride.

Though I must say BMW did it right with this bike, and the handling is very close to the RT (but not quite there yet), it is far and away better then the K1200GT ...

• 1 month later...
Here's what I did.

GTvsRT1.jpg

Then I put a red dot on the RT bars, pegs, seat and front wheel.

GTvsRT2.jpg

Last I removed the RT. This left the GT and markers from the RT.

GTvsRT3.jpg

3Putt, this is really cool.

I've been test riding K13GTs (but thinking I'll look at used K12GTs), and R12RTs. Tough call; the GT's engine is a lot of fun, and the fairing is fine, but the R12RT's riding position fits me much better, though the engine doesn't get fun till a few downshifts gets you into the 6k rpm and above powerband.

Do any of you have thoughts on how a K*GT with bar risers/bar backs compares to the stock position on an R12RT?

I've broken a couple of wrists and separated a shoulder in a couple previous accidents, so having weight off my wrists is a big plus for me these days..

Do any of you have thoughts on how a K*GT with bar risers/bar backs compares to the stock position on an R12RT?

I've broken a couple of wrists and separated a shoulder in a couple previous accidents, so having weight off my wrists is a big plus for me these days..

I went from a R1100RT to a K1300GT and found the riding position too aggressive for my wife and me. So I lowered pegs, raised bars, added a bigger screen, played around with backrests and finally have it at 90% of the comfort of the RT. Wind protection is still not as good and the lowered pegs are now subject to dragging when pressed really hard. As previously reported, it took a lot of fiddling (and money) to get the passenger backrest as comfortable as the RT (found the small top case is similar in comfort to the old RT box). The GT engine is much more powerful and smooth, but it has a sportbike (which it is) sound and feel and not the character and sound of the 12RT boxer engine. Be sure to get the ESA and cruise, they are worth the money IMHO. And I would recommend the 12GT over the 13GT due to some serious staling and switchgear problems with the new model. Plus depreciation is fierce on these bikes.

I went from a R1100RT to a K1300GT and found the riding position too aggressive for my wife and me. So I lowered pegs, raised bars, added a bigger screen, played around with backrests and finally have it at 90% of the comfort of the RT. Wind protection is still not as good and the lowered pegs are now subject to dragging when pressed really hard. As previously reported, it took a lot of fiddling (and money) to get the passenger backrest as comfortable as the RT (found the small top case is similar in comfort to the old RT box). The GT engine is much more powerful and smooth, but it has a sportbike (which it is) sound and feel and not the character and sound of the 12RT boxer engine. Be sure to get the ESA and cruise, they are worth the money IMHO. And I would recommend the 12GT over the 13GT due to some serious staling and switchgear problems with the new model. Plus depreciation is fierce on these bikes.

Thanks, Rob. That helps. Which bar risers did you go with? I definitely will need one with cruise and heated grips; ESA has been nice though if I get a deal on one without, I'll just do Ohlins with the extra cash.

Depreciation is horrendous, you're right - which is why they land in my price range ;-)

, I'll just do Ohlins with the extra cash.

No can do. The only aftermarket suspension, currently offered for the K12GT2 is Wilbers and Performance. Ohlins does not and will not spec suspension for the GTs.

No can do. The only aftermarket suspension, currently offered for the K12GT2 is Wilbers and Performance. Ohlins does not and will not spec suspension for the GTs.

Oooh, I hadn't seen that Ohlins were only available for Gen 1's, not Gen 2's. Hmm.

Thanks, Rob. That helps. Which bar risers did you go with? I definitely will need one with cruise and heated grips; ESA has been nice though if I get a deal on one without, I'll just do Ohlins with the extra cash.

Depreciation is horrendous, you're right - which is why they land in my price range ;-)

I bought the Suburban bar riser and peg lowerers. I got them directly from Suburban Machine as the price was about the same as through a 3rd party. They arrived within a couple days of order. The German ones are a lot pricier, but the Suburbans work fine, were nicely machined and installed very easily. I like the ESA because I ride both one and two up, plus it is nice to soften the ride on the fly on a bumpy road or tighten it on a smooth winding one. The Xeons are pricey, but they make a huge difference in the dark. Of course, you could add some great auxiliary lights for a lot less.

ESA has been nice though if I get a deal on one without, I'll just do Ohlins with the extra cash.

Well beyond the issue that they won't be Ohlins I think it would be preferable to go with aftermarket shocks if you have the choice. The performance of the stock shocks (whether ESA-equipped or not) is pretty underwhelming.

Oooh, I hadn't seen that Ohlins were only available for Gen 1's, not Gen 2's. Hmm.

Update - Ohlins specs a set for the K13GT, and a guy on the K board is using them on his K12GT. So if you are an Ohlins fan, there may be hope.

• 3 weeks later...

Great thread. I talked to a couple of guys who rode together often, and on long trips. One had a 1200RT and the other a 1200GT. As the RT owner put it, "I feel more comfortable on the RT, but I feel SAFER on the GT." He loved riding the GT, but liked the ergos of the RT. Decisions, decisions. As someone said...if only I could afford both!

I'm gonna add my 2 cents here. I'm probably the least experienced rider in the forum. So, why would what I think have any significance. Well, I'll tell ya. Without any previous long term attachment to any one brand or model of bike, I went out and checked them out. My gut instinct was that the Gt gave me a sense of security that I never had before on any bike. It just responded and committed to what ever instructions I gave it. It really was like being on a train track. The other think I loved about the Gt was the sound. It just purred like a kitten but drove like a lion. I checked out the RT of course and I loved it but I didn't get the same secure feeling I got when I was on the GT. Being a somewhat less than experienced rider, my choice of a GT was based on a bike that would do what I tell it to do and improve its performance as I improve my skills. This is just my unbiased gut instinct and opinion.

Great thread. I talked to a couple of guys who rode together often, and on long trips. One had a 1200RT and the other a 1200GT. As the RT owner put it, "I feel more comfortable on the RT, but I feel SAFER on the GT." He loved riding the GT, but liked the ergos of the RT. Decisions, decisions. As someone said...if only I could afford both!
Not sure you can't adjust the ergos on the GT to match the RT. Mine seems about the same as my RT after putting risers and lowerers on the GT.

Archived