IGNORED

LOOKING FOR PARTS

AndyMac

Hello everyone I am looking to rebuild my dad's ?1975/76? R75/6 and I have no idea where to start. I need a whole lot of parts I just dont know exactly what yet. I definitely need an engine. Anyway if anyone knows where I can find some parts and or some tech help, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks AndyMac

This post should probably be moved as it does not concern Hexheads.

I rebuit a 1975 R60/6 a while ago. You can still order most parts from your local BMW dealer.

Other options are Motobins in England. Shipping and costs were very reasonable and they have most all parts for older airheads.

Motobins

Oh, why do you think that you need an engine?? I have very rarely seen an airhead engine that cannot be rebuilt or repaired in some way. I even repaired one with a broken oil passage in the block.

• 2 weeks later...

Be a little more specific about "an engine"... :eek:

Usually top end work is all that is required. Airheads have killer bottom ends.

You can freshen the engine with seals, timing chain, clutch, and get the heads

reworked. Pistons are available, albeit pricey, from the factory in standard sizes and oversize. Kits include rings, pins, pistons. Do not let anyone hone the cylinders unless absolutely needed, and they have done them before. BMW cylinders are a tough animal, and if ok and stored in a dry environment should be fine.

Unless of course it sat outside for years with the plugs out. :(

PM me with your rebuild questions if need be.

Good luck , and thanks in advance for saving an airhead. :thumbsup:

MB>

Archived