IGNORED

Am I missing a rear fender bit?

Allen Rowand

Allen Rowand

As I was mounting the new rear shock today (thanks again Jason!) I noticed that there seems to be something missing here- like a piece of fender between the tire and shock. Should there be something there?

rearfender.jpg

I can't find anything on the parts fiche. If not, would it be beneficial to mount a mudguard to those holes to keep road gunk from hitting the shock? The stock unit was caked in greasy filth, and I'd like to keep this one clean and purty!

Thanks,

Allen

Mine's got a piece hanging down about 4 or 5 inches. Looks like you lost yours. Looks like thin plastic or rubber.

Allen Rowand

Thanks, Larry.

After a lot more digging, I found it- listed with the fusebox. Seems more like a "fender" type of thing, even though it mounts to the fusebox!

Allen

My 2002 R1150RT has a rubber "fender extender" in that spot. You could make one out of 3/8" rubber and bolt it on. The holes are already there, it should be simple.

Linz :)

Yes one of my bikes has a rubber extension flap and it is much cleaner around the shock area. I went to the" true value " they had a piece of thick rubber in about 1/8 x 4 1/2 x 4 1/2 square.Its kind of red ish in color but it works very well. just 3 bucks and 2 screws. good luck ,Peter.

Archived