IGNORED

Which 1200RT model year is best

PeterSonic

PeterSonic

I currently have a 1100RT and thinking of moving up to the 1200RT. I have been looking the 06 to 08 models and wondering if one particular year was better than another. Also, what were the issues with these model years? If there were issues, say with the 06 model, have they been corrected in the newer models? Appreciate your input.

Brakes were revised for the '07 model year. The current brake is non-servo, and much preferred for reduced maintenance costs and better operation. However, most people feel the servo brakes are not a deal breaker.

At some point a drain hole for the final drive was included. Our '07's don't have them, but the 08's do... however I think that some later 07's might have them, not sure.

I have an '06. The only problem I've had is the FD went out. It was replaced by BMW with a new one(which includes a drain plug on the bottom!). The servo brakes are very strong, I like em. ESA has been problem free. I have 43,000 miles right now.

Hi Peter:

The newer models have small revisions that make them a little bit more desirable, but you can't go wrong with any of the 1200RTs

I think the question of budget should also enter into your decision. Obviously, you want to buy the newest bike with the lowest mileage that your budget will allow.

I'm still happy with my 2005 1200RT with the servo brakes. No problems to date.

Good Luck

I had an 07 RT which did NOT have the FD drain plug. Back then they told you not to ever change the oil.

Changing it is tuff to do.

I had the servo brakes and they took some getting use to. I used to one finger the brake or else fly over the front of the bike. I guess over time I built up that finger because now I just use one finger to stop even on the Harley.

There was a Factory recall on the servo brakes. I remember on mine they had to reduce the amount of fluid flow somehow, with a restrictor, so that in panic breaking situations you do NOT loose all braking.

I would suggest:

1. Make sure the FD has the drain plug.

2. Stay away from the servo brakes.

Minor correction - All the FD's have a drain plug. On the earlier ones it was at the 9 o'clock position and required loosening and tilting down the FD to drain. Not a big deal, but admittedly a couple more steps. On the later ones it was moved to the bottom 6 o’clock position negating the need to tilt to drain.

06's and earlier have servo brakes while 08's and later have a "service needed" light that only the dealer can reset. '07 is clearly the sweet spot in spite of the more involved FD oil change procedure.

06's and earlier have servo brakes while 08's and later have a "service needed" light that only the dealer can reset. '07 is clearly the sweet spot in spite of the more involved FD oil change procedure.
Service light can be reset with a GS911,,,,,

And with the FD change costing only about $80 at the dealer every 12,000 miles it is not that big a deal either !

Who needs inspections? You only need it if you get pulled over in PA :grin:

Shhhhhh......I might been running without one since '05 ;)

Keith,

I thought there was something about you that I liked, and not that rubber chicken. Must be the hat. Don't tell any one but I did the same thing with my old bike. With the fairing you really need to stop the bike and look under to check the number.

Hope to meet you at the tech get together on Aug 1&2. I will be there. Look for the shinny new Black RT with the slightly older rider.

lawnchairboy

I also have 43k on an 06. Mostly service myself, no problems (knocking on wood) yet. Lots of smiles.

chris

Hope to meet you at the tech get together on Aug 1&2. I will be there. Look for the shinny new Black RT with the slightly older rider.

I'll be there......just look for the filthy metallic graphite RT with the slightly younger rider :grin:

Actually, I think I'm going to give her a good scrubdown and wax this week since the weather is actually supposed to be nice.

There was a recall on the "ring antenna" of the EWS anti-theft system about a year ago. Not limited to just RTs. Be sure that any hexhead you consider has this recall completed (or get an appt at the dealer to have it done). I also think the 07 and later bikes without servo brakes are preferred (I've had both).

BeemerLover

I agree with Bob_Minor that the '07 is the sweet spot. Pre '07 bikes dump easily with servo brakes at slow speeds like manuvering in a parking lot or garage. Grab a handful of brake and you are over if the wheel is even slightly turned. From a more picky standpoint, the 08 has the annoying service light which can be turned off only by the dealer ($). Or as 10ovr indicated to buy the GS911 ($$) (Glad to see they have cracked the code!) Or you can put a piece of electrical tape over it!!

In reality you can get used to any of the R1200RT's if price is a factor. They are great bikes and a cut above the other sport-TOURING bikes out there.

There was a recall on the "ring antenna" of the EWS anti-theft system about a year ago. Not limited to just RTs. Be sure that any hexhead you consider has this recall completed (or get an appt at the dealer to have it done). I also think the 07 and later bikes without servo brakes are preferred (I've had both).

Not all hexheads, e.g., my 2006 RT, are affected by the ring antenna recall.

Ahhhh, the new 2009 RT. I now have a drain plug on the bottom of the FD. Kinda takes the fun out of it. I just remove the plug and out comes the oil.

Of course putting in the frest oil can be a pain.

Archived