IGNORED

Oil In Airbox....Advice Please....

Redbrick

Kathy is cleaning her bike after the ride to Yellowstone, Glacier, et al, and found oil down in the corners of the airbox below the round plastic screen type thing .....Oil is visible as a mist in the middle down there and is wet in the lower corners....

Question.......What do we need to do other than draining some oil to get it down in the sight glass?.....Looks like the whole box has to be removed from the injectors, and don't know what else, to get the box out and get into where the oil is....Pic doesn't really show much but the wetness is visible....

I've tried to get the round screen out by twisting, pulling, etc. and nothing moves....

Appreciate input........Thanks.........

IMG_2016.jpg

Redbrick, you didn’t give us a bike type,, year,, or model.. I see you list a 1200RT in your profile but you posted here in the oilhead forum so we will assume it is an oilhead motorcycle you are talking about?

On the lower L/H rear corner of the air box there is an oil/water drain valve.. Just open it & allow anything in the lower air box to drain out..

Over-full crankcase (really over-full) can allow oil to congregate in the lower air box,, so can high engine RPM’s for long periods.. The oil mainly gets there from the engine venting system.. Some (oilheads) seem to do it more than others,, my last oihead didn’t allow a drop to get to the air box..

Twisty

I know better than that, sorry...........It is an '04 1150RT.......

We'll take a look for the drain you described....

It apprears to me that there isn't enough oil in there to be a problem, although it would be nice if it were cleaned out....

Some time ago I had made the same observation on my RT and reported it here. In my case it turned out that my aftermarket oil-drenched steel airfilter after sitting there all winter, had drained itself and the oil congregated in the back corner and actually found a way to leak over my shock absorber, which is what alerted me in the first place.

If you have that type of filter, don't wet it down too much with oil.

Pulled the plug at the back of the air cleaner canister, put the bike on the side stand and let it drip for about an hour....Maybe 1/2 teaspoon dripped on a Scott towel....No major problem I'm sure....Thanks Twisty for the guidance....

No K&N type air filters only BMW paper replacements......

Archived