IGNORED

$$ Motorcycle Registration Rant! $$

rob1100r

Got my registration renewal in the mail yesterday, it went from $31.50 to $65.00! Literally more than double from last year, New Jersey is amazing I tell ya, guess they are going to fill the potholes with gold...

russell_bynum
Got my registration renewal in the mail yesterday, it went from $31.50 to $65.00! Literally more than double from last year, New Jersey is amazing I tell ya, guess they are going to fill the potholes with gold...

Every year in November, you get a chance to tell the people who did that to you how you feel about the job they're doing.

Never forget that the gov't is supposed to be FOR the people. Let your votes act as a reminder.

Believe me I know, I have voted every Nov. since I could, and I always pick the people that want LOWER taxes, but they don't listen! :dopeslap:

I would pay that any day,,My 07 RT was $506 for 2 years,,AZ is one of the highest in the country for Registration,,, :cry:

I would pay that any day,,My 07 RT was $506 for 2 years,,AZ is one of the highest in the country for Registration,,, :cry:

Do you get your own lane for that fee? Or really, what is the tradeoff, I know our property taxes kill AZ's.. :S

Just got my 2010 renewal in the mail Tuesday. $148. UP $36. from $112. in 2009. :cry:

On top of one of the highest state income taxes by percentage in the nation.

And Kalifornistan ran out of money and started issuing IOU's Thursday. Just gotta love our Gubment. :dopeslap:

Do you get your own lane for that fee?

No, just the right to be tagged for speed infractions by photo radar vans.

1960apache

Ughhh, don't get me started, my blood pressure goes up just thinking about it, let alone when it happens!! I hate to see what the 09 will be, but 07 RT in Thailand is about $5 bucks!! And on top of it, no insurance hikes for violations, no photo tickets blah blah I know shut the h#%l up because it's not America, but come on, some things are really just out of control! I guess we need to move to PA!! He only pays how much?? That's lunch money!!

I'm seeing a lot of false registration stickers on California license plates. Some drivers beat the high fees (and/or failure of a smog check) of registering vehicles by carefully peeling (and stealing) the sticker from someones license plate and then applying the stolen sticker to their own plate. It "appears" to everyone you have a currently registered car until, if and when you are stopped by a LEO. If it's more than 6 months expired, your car is impounded.

You can also buy counterfeit California registration stickers through the underground at most outdoor flea markets in California. You can make your own counterfeit stickers by scanning a real one and using Photoshop to make it look real. It's getting so the only people who register their car in California are people who obey they law.

Yes, I am also ticked at the guvernator who raised registration fees and took back his election promise not to raise the fees.

I'm not advocating breaking the law but there are a lot of tax cheats driving around out there.

RichEdwards

In Florida too they will double all vehicle registration fees in the fall. They have to make up the revenue shortfalls somehow.

If they cant see you face ( to identify you ) You wont get a ticket in the mail,,,Ahh helmets with dark visors,,Gota love um
If they cant see you face ( to identify you ) You wont get a ticket in the mail,,,Ahh helmets with dark visors,,Gota love um

I thought that the camera snapped a photo of the rear of the vehicle (so it will be sure to capture a license plate) and if so how do they identify a driver? And if the photo is taken from the front how do they get a license plate from a motorcycle?

Just waiting for someone from the province of Quebec to chime in...I understand they have hit a new high this year...around $1200.00 to $1800.00 per year, per bike. So if you have more than one bike you MUST be rich, rich, rich.

And we are talking 'short' years up here, lucky to get 5 months of good riding. Don't do the math, its depressing!

I'm in Ontario, and work in Quebec, but its not much better here. My registration is only $24.00 per year, but the insurance for a 60+ married guy with NO citations or claims in the previous 5+ years on a 2005 RT is 1,100.00 per year.

So it works out about the same since a lot of insurance is included in the Quebec registration fee...still hurts though.

Ya can't just like riding here, ya gotta LOVE it!!

Jim

russell_bynum
Yes, I am also ticked at the guvernator who raised registration fees and took back his election promise not to raise the fees.

Don't forget to spread the blame for that one to the clowns in the legislature as well.

I thought that the camera snapped a photo of the rear of the vehicle (so it will be sure to capture a license plate) and if so how do they identify a driver? And if the photo is taken from the front how do they get a license plate from a motorcycle?

They take a picture of both front and rear,,Then they have 2 people look at the picture and if they both could identify you in court,,They send the ticket to you,,,Trust me,,the cameras take great pictures,When you get the ticket,You can go on line and see how nice your picture came out,,,
Just waiting for someone from the province of Quebec to chime in...I understand they have hit a new high this year...around $1200.00 to $1800.00 per year, per bike. So if you have more than one bike you MUST be rich, rich, rich.

And we are talking 'short' years up here, lucky to get 5 months of good riding. Don't do the math, its depressing!

I'm in Ontario, and work in Quebec, but its not much better here. My registration is only $24.00 per year, but the insurance for a 60+ married guy with NO citations or claims in the previous 5+ years on a 2005 RT is 1,100.00 per year.

So it works out about the same since a lot of insurance is included in the Quebec registration fee...still hurts though.

Jim

But don't Canadian's have "free" universal health care in exchange for those high taxes? I heard a rumor someone else has plans for something like that for us.

Jim

But don't Canadian's have "free" universal health care in exchange for those high taxes? I heard a rumor someone else has plans for something like that for us.

Most of that money in Quebec registration fees is, as I understand it (and as Jim pointed out) for insurance. In Ontario, where I live (as does Jim), bike registration is pretty inexpensive. Bike insurance is completely private, so none of that money is taxes for health care, or anything else (just so we're clear). No "free" health care here; we all pay for it, but it is universal. No personal bankruptcy if you get sick. In any event, comparing registration fees across jurisdictions is a mugs game because what's included in the cost varies widely. It's like comparing tire mileages.

They take a picture of both front and rear,,Then they have 2 people look at the picture and if they both could identify you in court,,They send the ticket to you,,,Trust me,,the cameras take great pictures,When you get the ticket,You can go on line and see how nice your picture came out,,,

Or didn't come out, you hope... :Wink: But then are motorcyclists wearing helmets essentially immune from prosecution? (since the helmet makes it impossible to make a positive ID.)

Or didn't come out, you hope... :Wink: But then are motorcyclists wearing helmets essentially immune from prosecution? (since the helmet makes it impossible to make a positive ID.)

Purdy much,,,But if your doing 120mph in a 45,they well probable be knocking on your door,,,,Last Christmas they had about 8 Santa's putting gift raped boxes on the cameras,All caught on video ,,They never did find out who they were,, What a great xmas gift that was to the fine people of Phoenix.
Purdy much,,,But if your doing 120mph in a 45,they well probable be knocking on your door,,,,

Ya, that's fine... just as long as you can skate by on the 65 in a 55 crap...

In Florida too they will double all vehicle registration fees in the fall. They have to make up the revenue shortfalls somehow.

How about this for a concept: CUT SPENDING!

It's O.K. They don't understand that concept in California either.

That is just registration alone? I figured I'd check AZ DMV...

"It varies depending on the vehicle. There is a $4.00 title fee; an $8.00 registration fee; plus an air quality research fee of $1.50; and a vehicle license tax (VLT) assessed in place of a personal property tax charged by other states. There may also be a weight fee and commercial registration fee, if the vehicle is registered as commercial. The VLT is based on an assessed value of 60% of the manufacturer's base retail price reduced by 16.25% for each year since the vehicle was first registered in Arizona (15% before 8/1/98). Then, as of the Dec 1, 2000 reduction, the rate is calculated as $2.80 (new vehicles)/$2.89 (used vehicles) for each $100 of the assessed value. For example, for a new vehicle that costs $25,000, the first year assessed value would be $15,000 and the VLT would be $420.00. The second year the assessed value would be $12,562.50 and the VLT would be $363.06."

My 2004 R1150RT went up to $174 this year. If that's not bad enough I own three other motorcycles, three cars, a truck, a jet ski and a trailer. Every time I turn around it's either a renewal notice from the DMW or a bill from one of the insurance companies.

Well, in South Carolina, we don't have high registration fees like those stated here, we have property tax on vehicles... my RT last year, if memory serves me correctly, was about $160.00 for that tax year... registration was every two years and was something like $15.00.

Matts_12GS

Dammit Bob! I was gonna say that!

Archived