IGNORED

Three Laps Around Barber Race Track on a Stupid GS

David

I'm beginning to have a love/hate relationship with video. tongue.gif I thought I did pretty well at a recent track day at Barber, but then when you start picking it apart during the editing process, you're left with the RidingSmart refrain: "I suck."

Geez. Inconsistent lines. Bad shifts. Oh well. The really good thing is that I feel like I'm learning a lot more by video taping, and that's a good thing.

Since a dozen of us are doing two days at Barber this coming weekend, I figured I'd edit a video from a day Mark Davis and I did recently. If you don't want to read the rest of this nonsense, you can skip straight to the video by clicking here.

The video covers three laps, at 2:02, 1:59, and 1:58. I can usually shave 10-12 seconds off a lap if I'm on a sportbike--but I'm tired of not being able to walk after riding one all day. tongue.gif Seriously, this is all still stupid slow, given that I'll still requiring 108 seconds to get around a track that a professional can do in 86 seconds. In other words, I'd get lapped every 3 laps. Ouch.

Each lap gets a tad more narration to help those of you who want to learn the track. If I can answer any questions, I'll try.

The trip down there was really wet.

rainfront.jpg

rainrear.jpg

I guess someone had a tad too much to drink that night, too, and drunk parking in the rain didn't work out too well. grin.gif

drunk.jpg

It was still raining the next morning, but we divided into three groups and they let anyone ride, using their own judgment. All the racer boys on slicks stayed under their precious awnings, and us fools ventured out--the fools numbered two in the fast group, including me and someone on a rat bike. We had some fun dicing it up until I just about lost it coming out of 8. I swallowed hard and kept riding, though. Rain is a great practice venue.

rain1.jpg

rain2.jpg

rain3.jpg

Slowly you can see it drying out.

rain5.jpg

It dried out completely at lunch, and at that point I talked Mark into moving into the fast group. The riding was a lot safer and there were fewer riders--they didn't notice that he didn't have the requisite leathers. Mark, it's always great riding with you. Can't wait to do it again this weekend.

The most fun of the day was mixing it up with a WERA guy (the one on that rat bike). For a couple laps I heard someone behind me, so I was concentrating on keeping corner speed up enough to not get passed, hoping I wouldn't get taken on a straight, either. Suddenly I heard the sound of another bike a lot more prominently, and out of the left corner of my eye I saw a front wheel trying to stuff me in Turn 15, leading onto the straight. I flinched ever so slightly, because it was a bad pass with about 3 feet of clearance, but held my line and finished the turn. He didn't pass me that lap, but did on the back side. The session ended soon after that and he came over to apologize. I said no problem--let's ride together next session. So we traded paint for lap after lap--often passing each other four times in a single lap. There were several places where he just rang my bell, but I actually learned a lot following him, especially staying wide open on the gas through Turn 14.

Here are a couple of stills I pulled from the video I shot. The first is an instructor pulling away through Turn 1. The second is the guy I called "sport bike boy," about ready to get passed before the Hairpin:

other01.jpg

red01.jpg

After the day was done, I was chatting with the photographer and he made me smile: "You looked like you were having more fun out there than anyone else." thumbsup.gif

Now my favorite two shots of the day. The first is the onboard version of the second.

reverse.jpg

lean.jpg

Here's another link to the video. Click here for the 26MB, 6-minute footage.

And here's a track map so you can follow along.

map.jpg

russell_bynum

lean.jpg

That's the goofiest damn thing I've ever seen in my life.

grin.gif

It's gonna suck watching you pass me looking like that. dopeslap.gif

Thanks for the vid...now I have something to watch on the plane ride out tomorrow. grin.gif

That's the goofiest damn thing I've ever seen in my life.

Yes, on many levels, not least of which is the fashion disaster of a red bike, yellow helmet, and--oh yeah, a dual sport bike. smile.gif

Strange how the camera didn't pick up that I was waving you by.

That was a fun weekend, especially when it was wet thumbsup.gif. We were kicking a$$ with those dual sport tires. Once it dried up, the sport bikes got even with me.

Looking forward to this weekend!

Strange how the camera didn't pick up that I was waving you by.

That was a fun weekend, especially when it was wet thumbsup.gif. We were kicking a$$ with those dual sport tires. Once it dried up, the sport bikes got even with me.

Looking forward to this weekend!

My disdain for all of you is growing greater by the minute! tongue.gif

Have a blast and don't let the horrid Dual-Sport thing-a-ma-jiggy scare the crap out ot you. Kind of like being stalked by a giant killer praying mantis... dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

ClearwaterBMW

unbelievable

i shall watch it 100 times....and i will show this video to my beloved GS when i get home..... as it laughs at me realizing that my abilities are miniscule in comparison

thanks for showing us your skill

greg

russell_bynum

I just got a chance to watch the whole thing...thanks a bunch for doing this!! It's cool to have the turn numbers, along with any hints or tips on gear selection, lines, etc.

Very cool.

This will be replayed about 5 million times on the flight.

It looks like 12 is somewhat blind...do you have an RP for that, or do you just "know it"?

After T4, you drift out and say "watch for tower". What do you mean? I see the scoring tower on the left, but is that what you're talking about? Are you using that as an RP for something?

It looks like 12 is somewhat blind...do you have an RP for that, or do you just "know it"?

Turn 12 is blind, because of the elevation. The key is not turning too early, and then holding the turn until you see a white flag on the fence--there's also a tall, lone pine that works, just in case they don't have the flag up. smile.gif

After T4, you drift out and say "watch for tower". What do you mean? I see the scoring tower on the left, but is that what you're talking about? Are you using that as an RP for something?

My annotation should have come earlier. Turn 4 is completely blind, also because of elevation. The best setup starts much earlier.

Turn 1: really fun, and you almost can't take it too fast. Great banking, and your knee will be bouncing along. Let the bike drift all the way to the edge after Turn 1. Don't go wide to do a late apex. Turn 2/3 is too long for it to make any difference.

Turn 2/3: Stay on the inside one-third (or at least one-half), nicking the white curbing near the end of the turn. Then drift wide to the left, still wide open, then climb the hill.

Turn 4: Kiss the curbing as you crest the hill and hold the turn until you see the tower and know where you are. Then drift a tad. But if you drift too early, you'll be in the grass. smile.gif

Good passing zones:

Late braking into Turn 1.

Outside of Turn 2.

Inside Turn 4.

Late braking into Turn 5.

Inside Turn 6.

Late braking into Turn 9.

Late braking into Turn 11.

Outside Turn 14.

Inside Turn 15.

The key is not turning too early

Great, then I'll be messing up that turn! smirk.gif

Good passing zones:

Good to know......for you guys to use to get around me! grin.gifblush.gif

Oh well. I don't mind being the slowest one...as long as I don't end up in the grass, I've had a good day! thumbsup.gif

(See, I have to build up how slow I am, so that when I pass all your sorry arses, I can take you completely by surprise...)

grin.gifgrin.gif

russell_bynum

(See, I have to build up how slow I am, so that when I pass all your sorry arses, I can take you completely by surprise...)

grin.gifgrin.gif

David, did you get in touch with Will to have him pull three of the spark plugs on Lisa's bike so she doesn't totally embarass the rest of us?

Looks like a blast! What type of tires were you running on the GS? Some sort of road-centric tire, or your track knobbies?

Kelly, just dual-sport tires: Michelin Anakee. Here's a picture after one session:

meltedrubber.jpg

They start squirming when they get this hot and the rubber melts! thumbsup.gif

David, did you get in touch with Will to have him pull three of the spark plugs on Lisa's bike so she doesn't totally embarass the rest of us?

All set! smile.gif

russell_bynum

They start squirming when they get this hot and the rubber melts!

That looks a bunch like my Pilot Power's after a day at Fontana. cool.gif

russell_bynum

Rain is a great practice venue.

I second that.

Seriously folks...first of all, if you do a trackday, don't show up with slicks. You're not that good. Secondly, if you have a chance to ride in the rain, DO IT.

I only got 5-6 laps in the rain when I my trackday at Streets back in Feb, but I learned more in those 6 laps than I did the whole rest of the day. It really teaches you how important it is to be smooth, and it shows you just how much traction there really is.

Rain is a great practice venue.

I second that.

Always remember, you can't buy "rain time." Take it when you can get it.

Umm , you guys just go ahead without me grin.gif Thank god no rain in forecast. Slicks last longer

7405thill006largewebview8dm.jpg

I cant wait to tell you guys abot the 11 year old girl who kicks everyones butt on a 125

Did you know sportbike boy Dave? Really tearing it up on that R1. Just goes to prove the old maxim, you know the one I mean. That video is really good . I have been thinking about gettin a set up for that. Gimme a tow the first few laps so I know where to go. Do you get air when you run over the berm I think between 8-9? somewhere in there I'm going to save it on my laptop and study on the plane too

Edited Are we there yet?

I cant wati till it is three in the morning and I can get up and get the party started. dopeslap.gifclap.gif

russell_bynum

I cant wati till it is three in the morning and I can get up and get the party started.

We get to sleep in until 4am.

grin.gif

PARTY!!!!!!

Did you know sportbike boy Dave?

Nope. He wasn't very good, which is why I could pass him. smile.gif

That video is really good . I have been thinking about gettin a set up for that. Gimme a tow the first few laps so I know where to go.

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it. And I do plan to ride with you a bit. thumbsup.gif

I'm jealous, I can't go to Barber OR download the video. It says "click" and I clicked. I got a white window that never changed.

The pictures are great, though! smile.gif

How can I mess up clicking a link??? eek.gif (Oh, I get it... Rides like a Girl, and Clicks Links like a Girl grin.gif)

russell_bynum
(Oh, I get it... Rides like a Girl, and Clicks Links like a Girl grin.gif)

LOL!!!

Try right-clicking it and saving it to your hard drive.

You'll need a Quicktime player (free download from apple.com) to view it.

WOW!! That was awesome. I'm near speechless. That was nearly the best instrucional vid I've seen. Had to be a big help to those coming this weekend.

As I read this thread and looked at the map, I wondered if T5 was indeed a double apex. I saw that answered in the vid. My question....do you run it in a single apex line?? We have a turn like that here at Pahrump, and it can be ran single apex with work. Quite fulfilling actually.

Thanx DB. That made my Monday. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

BTW...the storm of the boxer is awesome turned up, esp on the downshifts. thumbsup.gif

I'm imagining it was rather daunting to the sportbike guy being jammed by a dual sport on late braking. eek.gif

As I read this thread and looked at the map, I wondered if T5 was indeed a double apex. I saw that answered in the vid. My question....do you run it in a single apex line??

Yes, I did. Just a little later turn-in than normal.

Glad you enjoyed it! I wish we could ride a track together some time. Thought about you at Barber this weekend! thumbsup.gif

I wish we could ride a track together some time. Thought about you at Barber this weekend! thumbsup.gif

Why?? You just get a charge out of turning your friends into lappers?? grin.gifgrin.gif

It's actually kinda/sorta part of what I want to discuss with you at Torrey. See ya inna coupla weeks. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

russell_bynum

You just get a charge out of turning your friends into lappers??

There I am on Saturday morning, first session, buzzing along on the back straight between the hairpin and the Alabama rollercoaster and Baker passes me on that goofy-ass GS. As he dipped it into T6, I only had one thought: This sucks.

grin.gif

russell_bynum
Wasn'nt that when you "missed the shift"??

He passed me when I was "working on some things" grin.gif

grin.gif

Yeah...actually, I thought we were under a yellow flag at that point. wink.gif

I felt better about the fact that I was running 5 sec's/lap faster than him on the second day...until I remember I was on a sportbike and he was riding a dumbass dirt bike. smile.gif

I wanna see the video of you leaving a darkie at the corner exit on Christine's FZ6. grin.gif

I did have one really funny missed shift. It was funny only because Will didn't see it. Blazing down the back straight towards the hairpin, I see another rider up there about the 4'th braking marker. I think "No problem, they'll be halfway through the hairpin by the time I get there and I'll pass their sorry ass on the outside of T6." But...when I got to the 4th braking marker going somewhere just short of the speed of sound, I realize the other rider is only to braking marker 1. Shesh...what's going on...did this guy pull a Sete and run out of gas? I popped up at the 3rd marker as usual and got on the brakes, going down from 3rd to 2nd. When I realized just how friggin' slow the other rider was going, I grabbed 1st, then tipped the bike in. I held the throttle a bit because I didn't want to scare him/her by passing around the inside in the middle of the turn. When the time came, I got on the gas and carried the front wheel up towards 6 as I blazed around the rider on the outside. Then I went for a clutchless upsift like I always did there. Those work really well when you're going from 2nd to 3rd. It didn't work too well. I hit neutral at full throttle turning 15K on the tach. eek.gif DOH!

The ZX6R is a fun bike. It's definitely got more power than my CBR600RR because I was carrying the front wheel in 3rd, and the CBR will not do that with the stock gearing. Good brakes, too...though I prefer the feel from my CBR with stainless lines and Galfer HH pads. (But it's not fair comparing stock to aftermarket.)

You looked pretty good on the bike from what I saw as I was passing you. cool.gif

David,

Not to hijack the thread, but since my friggin' pain in the arse girlfriend blush.gif won't let me near the motorcycle for another few weeks (at the equaly friggin' pain in the arse doctor's suggestion), I've watched your video 50 times. In doing so, I noticed something that I think I need to work on as well, and was planning to ask the instructors at the Code school about.

In braking for the turn, I noticed that you shift early and spool the engine up. I tend to do this a little as well. Perhaps not as much. In reading Code's Twist of the Wrist I, starting at the bottom of page 68 and continuing through page 70 (I know you have the book!), he says that the engine is not a brake. He suggests that the best place to change gears is toward the end of the braking zone but before the bike is actually put into the turn at a steep lean angle.

This clutch-brake-throttle-situation has always baffled me a little. The last few track sessions, I tended to brake in the high gear, then pull the clutch toward the end of the brake zone, and change gears. I then left the clutch in and didn't let it out until I wanted to accelerate coming out of the turn. I don't think this is right - and it's what I wanted to ask them. I think it's probably better to be in the gear you want to be in before tipping the bike for the turn. You think that's right? Have they made that a point of any of the classes at Code? I've only been through level 1, and don't remember it there.

Thanks.

I think it's probably better to be in the gear you want to be in before tipping the bike for the turn. You think that's right?

Without a doubt, for three reasons:

a) If you haven't matched both sides of the clutch when you engage it, it'll lunge forward (not likely) or skip out (more likely), even with a slipper clutch. This'll upset the bike.

b) You want to be under power the entire time, and you can only do that with an engaged clutch.

c) Being in the right gear and ready to go is one less thing to think about.

My habit:

1) Shift lower body position while still under max acceleration.

2) Switch from max power to max braking all at once, pulling front brake as you roll off the throttle.

3) A split second later, match boths sides of the clutch as you downshift, only one gear at a time, engaging clutch between shifts.

4) Find turn-in point while dropping inside knee.

5) Look for mid-corner (sometimes the apex, sometimes not).

6) Drop shoulder, counter-steer, and hit turn-in point, all under neutral throttle.

7) Aim for mid-corner while looking for exit, under as much power as you can while keeping wheelspin under control.

Glad you enjoyed the video. Shoot me your mailing address via PM and I'll send you a DVD with much better resolution. smile.gif

Schnitz...now I gotta go buy a track bike

Warning: Riding on the track may be more addicting than it appears. smile.gif

Here's another thread with some pictures and another video from the same track.

Archived