IGNORED

Black magic and the transformation of the handling of my K1300GT

Firefight911

Firefight911

My '09 K1300GT came with Metzeler Z6 tires. I have never really been a fan of these tires as, for me, the are very heavy to turn, have poor wear characteristics, and you go from tread to cords showing in the blink of an eye.

After my return from Ouray, I was thankful to see that the stock tires were done, thrashed, worn out, and otherwise ready for retirement. The bike had 4500 miles on them and the rear, maybe, could have gone 500 miles more with the front having 1000 to 1500 miles left in it.

I did some research, talked to some friends, spoke with Michelin, and came up with a combo that has a track record of great handling, excellent life, and fantastic grip.

Reports have given a 9000 mile plus life on a set of tires with this combo on a K1200R Sport so I decided to replicate this set up and try them out.

I am now sporting new shoes. I am running the Michelin Pilot Road 2 on the rear in stock size 180/55ZR-17. I selected the standard fitment versus the alternative "B" fitment. The difference here is that the "B" is reported to provide a greater level of tire stability when fully loaded.

On the front, I am running the Michelin Pilot Power 2CT in stock size 120/70ZR-17.

The Pilot Road 2 runs hard compound in the center with a medium compound sides. The Pilot Power is running a medium compound front with a soft compound side.

I just came back in from my initial shake down run on these new tires and, HOLY TOLEDO BATMAN, the bike has been transformed. The turn in is confidence inspiring and light. The mid corner stability is fantastic with the tire holding a line effortlessly. There has been a marked increase in the feedback through the bars, pegs, and butt also. And, the road manners is fantastic. The Z6's transmitted a bunch of road to the bike. It felt as though the tires were always over inflated. Best way I can describe it. Most likely, this was due to a harder compound and stiffer carcass which would transfer more road irregularities to the rider.

I didn't run any hard corner strafing maneuvers yet but did throw her in to some nice corners where there was this huge grin that emanated from doing so. I will probably try again tomorrow. It is already 102 degrees here and I needed to get home to bring the dogs inside so they didn't wilt!

Of course, time will tell on the life but I am confident in the reports I have received on those who have actually done this so I'll keep ya posted.

Just wanted to post this for any of the K bike owners as this already fantastic bike just got better in a big way!!!!!!

Firefight911
What kind of millage do you hope to get out of the front? Getting the same as the rear would be fine with me.

I expect the front and rear to be worn out at the same time. I am hoping for a 9000 mile life expectancy. I always change my tires in sets anyway, so it will be nice to have them both worn at the same time while having a "stickier" front for those mad dash corner strafing days that bring BIG grins!

CoarsegoldKid
What kind of millage do you hope to get out of the front? Getting the same as the rear would be fine with me.

I expect the front and rear to be worn out at the same time. I am hoping for a 9000 mile life expectancy.

Phil, 9000 miles- Really I just can't see it. But you will have fun trying. As for the transformation, that I believe cause the Z6s were toast and new tire always feel better. Have fun.

Come on down so you can wear out the sides around here.

I expect the front and rear to be worn out at the same time. I am hoping for a 9000 mile life expectancy.

Phil, 9000 miles- Really I just can't see it. But you will have fun trying. As for the transformation, that I believe cause the Z6s were toast and new tire always feel better. Have fun.

Come on down so you can wear out the sides around here.

+1

New tires always make ya feel good. Some of us old dudes just temper our excitement...

9000 on an RT maybe, but a GT I think not. But I'm hoping I'm wrong for ya.

I ran Orig Pilot Roads on the RT and went over 10k. I have PR2's now.

Will let ya know how they run out...

BTW, this IS a tire thread you weenie!

MB>

Firefight911

All you doubting Thomas'. Sheesh, it comes from a reliable source. I do tend to be a bit rough on tires but if I got 7k, that would still be fantastic.

And, no, it is not a new tire thing. The Z6s just suck for my tastes in the handling department. I felt it from day one and these are not my first Z6s.

We will definitely have to get some riding in!!!!!

All you doubting Thomas'. Sheesh, it comes from a reliable source. I do tend to be a bit rough on tires but if I got 7k, that would still be fantastic.

And, no, it is not a new tire thing. The Z6s just suck for my tastes in the handling department. I felt it from day one and these are not my first Z6s.

I'm the source.

I used that set up on my K12R Sport. I got better than 9000 miles. 7000 of which was two up

Torrey XVI 2 up

Ouray III 2 up

Halloween bash 1 up

Hill Country 1 up

New Years with Richard in town...2 up

....with many more miles flyin around Tejas and chasin squids through the Hill Country.

Anyone wanna bet dinner at Diablo.....???????

Firefight911

I'm the source.

I used that set up on my K12R Sport. I got better than 9000 miles. 7000 of which was two up

Torrey XVI 2 up

Ouray III 2 up

Halloween bash 1 up

Hill Country 1 up

New Years with Richard in town...2 up

....with many more miles flyin around Tejas and chasin squids through the Hill Country.

Anyone wanna bet dinner at Diablo.....???????

Say hello to my little friend!!! Also, my bodyguard!!!!

Neener neener neener!!!

Phil, that's the same pairing I've been running on my K12S (though 190 rear), with similar levels of happiness. It works great: wear is acceptable, and the handling is perfect.

jUST gOT back from Arkansas yanking a 1500 mile weekend with that same K12R.sport with that very tire config...(*thanks wHIPdON*)

Holy Smokoles - everything he states is worthy.! I thought Avon was the way to go...I had never ever tried the Michelin route.

I am a believer now. Daaaaannnnnnnnnnng.!

I'll know more as I head out for the Nat'l this coming friday.

stay tuned.

Firefight911

For a bit of an update, HOLY SMOKOLES, as our own Hannabone stated, this set up is fantastic!!

Went riding through some great twisted ribbons of tarmac and was blown away at the transformation. I am having to relearn my control inputs as I am over controlling the bike due to the significant change in turn in effort required but can not speak highly enough of this combination. Unbelievable!!

Folks, we got a winner here. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

• 6 months later...

For a mileage update, I offer that I have about 4500 miles on them and they are going strong. Around half the tread is gone so it is reasonable to expect at least 8000 miles from the set.

Sorry I don't have many more miles than this since putting them on but I did have this minor surgery thing that kept me off the bike for about 4 months ya know! :)

• 4 months later...
Firefight911

UPDATE.

6000 miles and still going strong! I've not really noticed any degradation in the handling department nor any unusual wear characteristics.

I'm thinking 8000 miles may be the life span. More to follow!

As a matter of fact, let me go get some pictures so I can show you. Back in a bit!!!

Still lacking in the mileage department on the GT. I've been riding the GS WAAAAYYYYYYY too often!!!!

I've got just over 3000 miles on the Heidenau K60s on the F800GS and I'm having too much fun discovering the off road environs with them! :)

CoarsegoldKid

I'm glad to hear the PR2 rear is working for you. I figured less mileage. I knew other riders with them on the rear and they got about 8K. I have a rear with the "high load" rating and a front on my RT right now with about 4700 miles of mostly limp-wristed high-speed freeway(gotta love Texas I-10) two-up and loaded with luggage. They still look very good. We did another 400 miles two-up over the passes last weekend. I have ridden them another 250 miles solo last Tuesday in the local twisties and they still hold the road well. I'm astonished actually. As for the Pilot Power 2CT on your front I can only say you must be unicycling because from what I see with that tire on my Ducati I'll be lucky to get your numbers. But the 2CTs are confident inspiring tires too be sure. And cheap compared to the Roadsmarts I usually shoe on the RT. PR2s are more costly than the Roadsmarts but seem to last longer. Maybe the Roadsmarts have a softer compounds. I still like them.

Firefight911

This is with 6000 miles on them.

Front

897830419_pKNeo-M.jpg

897831392_PGihT-M.jpg

897832088_3LjC9-M.jpg

Rear

897833018_BkoC6-M.jpg

897833914_3AU2o-M.jpg

897834745_ugnP7-M.jpg

I do see ever such a slight amount of cupping beginning on the front. Even on the rear.

I have always run 38F, 42R when solo and 40F, 42R loaded and/or 2up.

cali_beemer

For 6k miles, they look pretty good. My old RS would have already chewed through them. Seems like good wear.

• 1 month later...
Firefight911

Well, the final verdict is in!

I want to apologize up front for not having pictures but time, a friend in need, and the heat got the better of me so I forgot! Sorry!

I just had a new set of tires spooned on. Yes, second verse same as the first! Another PR2 rear and PP 2CT front.

What utterly fantastic tires! They've slogged the rain, cold, heat, corners, slab, and canyons while 2 up, solo, loaded, and at fighting weight without a wimper, complaint, or major fall of in performance as they neared the end of their lives.

Final answer was just 7700 miles at changeover. At this mileage here is what we found;

FRONT

Flush on the wear bars with very even wear. At approximately 6000 miles, I noticed a very slight amount of cupping. I bumped the psi by 2 and ran the rest of their life at 40 psi. The wear was even with no step offs. The performance, while degraded, was exceptional and I felt completely confident to toss it into any corner at will. This tire just flat performs and sticks.

REAR

I predict I could have gone 2000 miles MORE on the rear. I went ahead and decided to change it out anyway as I plan on an Iron Butt next week and it just wasn't worth it, IMO. Just as the front, there were no step offs with very even wear throughout the tread from side to side. I can't really say that I felt any appreciable performance degradation off the rear. Complete confidence in the tire remained to the last. Just as the front, this tire flat performs and sticks.

Two weeks ago, Jamie and I went on a great 2up ride to the local corner cafe, aka Icheouse/Wentworth Springs roads. We were flying, cornering, and just having a ball. At the end of the ride we were hootin' and hollerin' at how great a ride it was. There is no doubt those tires were performing exceptionally well the entire time! We even entered one turn that finished with a nice decreasing radius, downhill section where we were fully committed and on rails. We touched down the left footpeg and pretty much drug it through the corner for yards as I moved my body position more inboard and forward to counter this and Jamie just continued in her role as a sack of potatoes on the back. The tires had perfect feedback and never once complained. Not bad for a tire with nearly 7000 miles (at the time) on them!!!!! Yes, there was a new rule made that day! No dragging footpegs while baby is on board. (Psst, she's pregnant ya know!)

My final analysis is that this set up is, arguably, the best set of tires I have ever had on a bike. They handle, they wear great, and they really don't drop off in performance as much as I expected them to.

They get a 2 thumbs up here!

Yep, I guess they really ARE 8000 mile tires!!!

Changes for this next set? None, other than I will now run them at 40 F and 42 R for the duration to address the minor cupping I got at about 6000 miles.

Questions? No? Class dismissed! :)

Firefight911
...sack of what! She's gonna kick you arise when she gets back.

You're right!

Sweet potatoes! A sack of sweet

Potatoes.

sport_comparo_lg.jpg

I've been running PR2s front and rear on my '04 GT since the beginning of the year and they are fantastic. I'm all ears about making it even more fantastic next go around with a 2CT front tire but I'm not sure I get how this blackmagic is working. How do you manage to get nearly the same wear out of a softer tire? Don't you always sacrifice longevity for performance?

Archived