IGNORED

R1200RT low seat experience??

dshogman

My bike gets in next week to my local dealer. While traveling in Oregon today, I stopped by a another dealer, put on my "biker" boots and straddled a 1200RT. With the regular seat, I was on tip toes. I'm told that my low seat will be 1 1/2" lower.

Would appreciate hearing from anyone who has the lower seat. I'm 5' 7 1/4" in my boots and have a 27" inseam. I'm sure I'll have to add a 1/2" to the boots. Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

For what it's worth, I have a low seat and I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam. I added 3/8" to the bottom of my boot soles before I took delivery of the bike, because I found the demo bike quite tall. Now with my own bike and new boots, I cannot flat foot all around the way I could with my R100RT and Corbin saddle. With one foot planted flat, me up against the tank, and reaching with the other foot, the best I can do is place the "ball" of the other foot on the ground. I had one tipover at the gas pumps...thank goodness for the head guards. Now the balance factor is getting better and I feel more confident, just not taller. Maybe my legs will grow longer as time passes! Happy riding.

Neil W

5' 7 1/4" in my boots and have a 27" inseam
I'm 1/4 shorter, 29" inseam. You definitely should ask for the low seat. The seats are interchangable. You dealer might let you have it at no cost (mine did).

If you are experienced, you might be able to manage by side standing. Somehow for me the bike is very top heavy standing. While moving it's very nimble and light. I am a new rider but I can twist and turn at ease but if I'm tired and not totally functioning when stoping at some rough terrain, I'd drop it. I've learn how to pick up the bike almost effortless now.

Pdded boot are very unsafe: you have less feel and control. You are better off with your normal footware. You might be surprise, you get better control bare foot than with some thick sole.

I looked into getting custom seat but the guy told me because there is so little padding in the low seat, he can't lower it without altering the pan (the plastic structure beneath) and he doesn't recommend doing such. So I went to Work Performance Shock and have them custom design a pair of shocks and got the bike lower 1.5". I feel much much better afterward. The custom shocks works just like the stock one (and it's rebuildable). All the factory adjustment knobs and dials are retained. If you look into this option, ask for Pèire, his is the engineering chief.

CruisinCruzan

Did you get the center and side stands shortened with the new lower shocks. If not how has putting the bike on either stand changed. I am also considering the lower shocks as well. Thanks

ESA
I did *not* get ESA on mine. There is a mechanical knob for adjustment on mine. ESA is all "fly-by-wire"? Call Pierre Vaillancourt @ 818.701.1010 to know for sure. Maybe they can make ESA.

Side/Center Stand

I didn't compare to a unmodified version but ground clearance still good, center stand work the same. On side stand I believe it stand a little more upright (don't know for sure). So far, I had not had any problem parking the bike on side or center stand. But the bike is not steady standing on left tilting ground. I think if you have the right tools, you can cut the side stand's buttom and weld (maybe a bigger) foot back. If you do a bigger foot, make sure it doesn't interfere with the center stand. Good luck and make me one, too.

I am 5'7" with a 30 inch inseam, and have the low seat on my R12RT. I have found it to be moderately comfortable, and have learned to adjust my stopping and maneuvering to make up for the fact that I still can't flat foot the bike at a stoplight. I have found that if I pay attention to keeping the front wheel straight ahead when stopping, and never to brake with the wheel turned, that my short height has not been a problem. I considered getting a shorter shock too, but have now decided it is not going to be necessary.

I rode 552 miles yesterday, and found the seat adequate for that distance, although I did get somewhat saddle sore.

Jay

Archived