IGNORED

Michael Jackson dead at 50

AZKomet

I didn't much care for his music, but he did have a ton of talent.

RIP...finally - he was troubled for much of it.

Well there goes Farrah's lead story on the evening news.

That's what I was thinking. He's going to be the center of attention if it kills him.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

I enjoyed his earlier music and even went to see the Jackson's Victory tour (at Dodger Stadium- had FANTASTIC seats.)

Despite some interesting events in his life, he was indeed a Pop Culture Icon and will go down in history as such.

Firefight911
Ditto. A fantastic talent troubled by too many demons.

May he rest in peace, & peace to his family.

Ditto to the Grapefruit's comments.

Vicious_Cycler

It was impossible back in the day to be cool without Thriller (on cassette :Cool:) in your car. Demons?...yes. King of pop?...unrivaled. May he find the peace that seemed to elude him on Earth.

Well there goes Farrah's lead story on the evening news.

That's what I was thinking. He's going to be the center of attention if it kills him.

We have a winner... :P

beemerman2k

I have always enjoyed his music, and the music of his siblings. His life and his demons are his problems, I never cared much to learn or to know about them. But his music was unreal!

The "Thriller" video was so dominant in the 80's. I remember whenever I would go into a mall, I would see a crowd gathered in front of a TV store as everyone was watching his "Thriller" video.

May he RIP.

Important cultural figure? Yes.

King of pop? No.

The local radio news show went two hours overtime talking nothing but Michael Jackson. A relief from Iran and from a local serial killer's sentence appeal. But come on, he was a creepy has-been. His magnus opus, Thriller, was released a quarter-century ago.

I think the furor today is largely about nostalgia.

Was not a fan of his music after the Jackson 5, but have to admit that he was a very talented and influential force in music of our time. I hope he does as well at the Pearly Gates as he did in court...

I never got it when he was alive and would be hard pressed to care now that he has died...only thing I really remember about his career is it was his album (Dangerous) that got knocked off the #1 position on the charts by Nevermind (Nirvana) and that marked the end of 80's pop, which that was forever banished to the discount bin....oh yeah, and he was a pedophile who should have spent the last decade or two in prison...

Hard pressed to find an entertainer better than Jackson for his era...As a man...I can not and will not judge him...RIP

I never got it when he was alive and would be hard pressed to care now that he has died...only thing I really remember about his career is it was his album (Dangerous) that got knocked off the #1 position on the charts by Nevermind (Nirvana) and that marked the end of 80's pop, which that was forever banished to the discount bin...

I agree with this pretty much completely.

His demons and legal issues validated OJs theory that you can get all the justice you can afford.

I hope he does as well at the Pearly Gates as he did in court...

Doubtful. Persistent reports were that he was broke, the reason he was planning the UK concerts. Someone once called him 'Helium Feet', but 'Lead Feet' would more than likely apply now. Seeing him trying to replicate any of his moves would be ghastly.

Sad really that he went off the rails with his kiddie kinks and endless attempts to make himself look white. He was really a cute kid.

Sad also that he managed to remain a kind of idol, although probably more of a curiosity than a personality.

Sorry boys, I don't get the misplaced sympathy. He was a child predator. He paid millions to make victim's parents "go away."

Lets_Play_Two

King of pop? No.

The local radio news show went two hours overtime talking nothing but Michael Jackson. A relief from Iran and from a local serial killer's sentence appeal. But come on, he was a creepy has-been. His magnus opus, Thriller, was released a quarter-century ago.

I heard an estimate that he would make $400 million on the tour that was scheduled....hardly has-been pay.

I personally think he's a legend and he started out really making a difference. It's sad that he changed so much.

A friend of mine posted this on another forum and I thought I'd share... :D

Due to the fact that michael jackson is 99% plastic, he will be melted down into lego blocks so little kids can play with him for a change

Sorry boys, I don't get the misplaced sympathy. He was a child predator. He paid millions to make victim's parents "go away."
Let's not loose track of the fact that he was never convicted of anything. One case no charges were ever filed, in the other he was tried and acquitted.

I think it’s interesting that throughout history the most creative people (in any field not just music) are also often the most eccentric by the accepted norms of the time. Almost by definition the ability to push the envelope, chart new ground, break barriers in their area of expertise echos throughout other aspects of their lives.

The ability think/act ‘outside of the box’ becomes evident in a multitude of ways. They’re minds truly DO work a bit different. It’s almost a ‘requirement’ it seems.

MJ was certainly an extreme example of that, but I’m not so sure that to some extent one can exist without the other.

Meanwhile society relishes in their non-conformance to norms in one aspect and condemns it in another.

King of pop? No.

I heard an estimate that he would make $400 million on the tour that was scheduled....hardly has-been pay.

Especially when the whole run sold out in minutes.

beemerman2k
I think it’s interesting that throughout history the most creative people (in any field not just music) are also often the most eccentric by the accepted norms of the time. Almost by definition the ability to push the envelope, chart new ground, break barriers in their area of expertise echos throughout other aspects of their lives.

The ability think/act ‘outside of the box’ becomes evident in a multitude of ways. They’re minds truly DO work a bit different. It’s almost a ‘requirement’ it seems.

MJ was certainly an extreme example of that, but I’m not so sure that to some extent one can exist without the other.

Meanwhile society relishes in their non-conformance to norms in one aspect and condemns it in another.

I think this is a very insightful post, Ken.

Given the tenor of this thread, and of threads of similar ilk in the recent past, I think that a good personal policy we should all adopt when posting on a thread dedicated to the death of a person is the one we learned in grade school: if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all :thumbsup: Otherwise, we end up speaking of things of which we do not know or understand, and end up appearing more outlandish than the person of whom we are pointing our finger.

Which according to numbers mentioned this morning would have basically brought him to even as he was also estimated to be US$400M in debt.

How people of fame can become (basically) poor is a subject that fascinates me. They’re brilliant yet they can’t manage a (big bunch of) dollar(s). I read earlier this week that Ed Mcmahon died broke too. I guess it's just what many of us are doing, living beyond our means, just on a bigger scale.

To the human being: "RIP".

To the Artist: "Thanks for the good times".

To the trubled man who couldn't find peace within himself and apparently made so many and some repproachable mistakes: "Peace at last, and no more hurting himself and others".

Which according to numbers mentioned this morning would have basically brought him to even as he was also estimated to be US$400M in debt.

How people of fame can become (basically) poor is a subject that fascinates me. They’re brilliant yet they can’t manage a (big bunch of) dollar(s). I read earlier this week that Ed Mcmahon died broke too. I guess it's just what many of us are doing, living beyond our means, just on a bigger scale.

I agree; $5,000/mo or $5,000,000/mo. $7.00 lunch at BK, or $500 lunch at Chez Ardid. $20.00 for a bottle of Cuervo Gold, $750.00 for a bottle of Luis XIII.

DavidEBSmith
if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all

Well, where's the fun in that?

Yeah. I would agree that we should bypass the mean-spirited stuff but a thread limited to only positive comments would get boring pretty quickly.

Otherwise, we end up speaking of things of which we do not know or understand, and end up appearing more outlandish than the person of whom we are pointing our finger.

That might be pretty difficult in this case. :grin:

beemerman2k

Well, it's just that...

- we know he was a very unusual person. We know that already!

- we know what he was accused of

- we know that the media and both you and I tend to exaggerate and embellish, and therefore we have to take everything we hear with a grain of salt so to speak

- we know his skin grew lighter with time

- we know about the chimp

- we know about the dangling of the baby from the 4th floor balcony

We know all these things and it's for none of these things that he is being memorialized. You and I could have done these things as well -- nothing special here.

But how many of us know about the stiff racial barriers he shattered? Did you know that MTV had a policy of no videos by black artists on the network prior to Michael Jackson coming along? How many of us know just how hard he worked at his craft to get to where he was? How many of us sacrificed ourselves in a similar fashion to become excellent at what we do for a living?

How many of us understand and appreciate how much of his wealth went to help others? Who among us have donated a similar percentage of our wealth to charities like he did? Who among us labored for free, purely so that the proceeds could feed the hungry?

Who among us practically reinvented our respective industries? When you or I pass away, is motorcycling -- or your particular industry -- going to mourn our loss like the music world mourns his? Who among us made anywhere near the same impact?

It is for THAT he is being remembered. Dwelling on his faults or re-living the insanity surrounding his life does nothing but inflate our own deluded egos as to our own alleged significance. This very imperfect, troubled, and flawed human being shook up the world in a way you and I can't even dream of ever doing. So let's show him a little respect for that by letting his legacy stand or fall on it's own, with out our help, and for taking a second to wonder at just how high a person can fly when they are so talented, motivated, and are blessed enough to live in a society that places little to no hinderances on its citizens to reach such heights.

Otherwise, we end up speaking of things of which we do not know or understand, and end up appearing more outlandish than the person of whom we are pointing our finger.

I think we all know more than we ever needed to know about Michael Jackson and given that, we are all in positions to express our opinions about him.

King of pop? No.

Bruce Allen is the manager of Bryan Adams, Michael Buble and others. He happens to be in London at the moment. On the radio this morning he said that nobody in the industry in London expected the shows to happen because Jackson had been skipping rehearsals and acting erratically. It was evident that he did not have the energy or focus to do those shows. He has his fans, but his talent was sapped long ago.

I note that you did not contradict me on "creepy."

Yeah. I would agree that we should bypass the mean-spirited stuff but a thread limited to only positive comments would get boring pretty quickly.

I'm under no illusion that the thread dealing with my death will be all positive. In fact, I expect throngs of people at my funeral...there only to make sure I'm really dead. :grin:

Personally, I had been keeping quiet based on the principle that James espoused. But I like Ken's point about the way both revere and revile eccentricity. Therefore I will accept Seth's invitation to keep it interesting.

I thought the man was truly sick, but that begs the question of where the line between sick and eccentric lies, and what, if anything, it means.

I read, back around the time of the second child molestation fiasco, maybe 2003, that the man was estimated to have personally spent 6 billion dollars, and then run himself into debt. This is a staggering number, beyond anything I can conceive. Speculation at the time led to all sorts of ideas about MJ's mind set, maturity, and mental capacities. One has to wonder about the mind of someone who could blow through that amount of money and then continue on into serious debt.

Relative to the recent body modification thread, Tim presented evidence that those engaging in body mods have high risk for suicide. It will be interesting to see what comes of this autopsy. I would certainly not be surprised to learn surprising details, whatever form they may take.

I will have to agree that he was an interesting individual.

One has to wonder about the mind of someone who could blow through that amount of money and then continue on into serious debt.

I can't help but laugh at this. It's terrible for an individual to do that, but okay for an elected body of thieves to do it? :grin:

Not pointing at you at all--just amazed at how we as a group can think of things.

Sorry for the hijack.

Originally Posted By: Twisties

One has to wonder about the mind of someone who could blow through that amount of money and then continue on into serious debt.

I can't help but laugh at this. It's terrible for an individual to do that, but okay for an elected body of thieves to do it?

Not pointing at you at all--just amazed at how we as a group can think of things.

This is rather funny David.....It amazes me how the tool... of money... can be used, abused, and justified, so many ways...by so many people...

I will have to agree that he was an interesting individual.

unquote

That was kind of you! IMHO he was a Nut Job...... :eek:

Micheal who?

Seriously, there ain't nothing but Micheal Jackson talk on the radio, wall to wall, every agonizing detail.

WTF, what about Farrah, Iran, the Recession, Business, the World and all the other important stuff.

Even so, RIP Micheal.

Lets_Play_Two

I note that you did not contradict me on "creepy."

Why would I even attempt to contradict an individual's opinion? I do not particularly like his music but I find it difficult to deny what he meant to music and entertainment. I also know that there are people in the world who would say blue if someone else says green! :)

Joe Frickin' Friday

King of pop? No.

...come on, he was a creepy has-been. His magnus opus, Thriller, was released a quarter-century ago.

It's hard to argue with the best-selling album in history...

Indeed hard to argue with the numbers but they shouldn't be confused with artistic achievement. Clearly 'art' is a very subjective thing but given public tastes it's probably more amazing that 'Dark Side of the Moon' sold 40 million copies than it is that 'Thriller' sold 100 million.

I'm under no illusion that the thread dealing with my death will be all positive. In fact, I expect throngs of people at my funeral...there only to make sure I'm really dead. :grin:

Damn,

Had to read that twice.

I'd go but I ain't wearing no thong was my first thought.

Then upon futher review...

Harry_Wilshusen

Well, it's just that...

- we know he was a very unusual person. We know that already!

- we know what he was accused of

- we know that the media and both you and I tend to exaggerate and embellish, and therefore we have to take everything we hear with a grain of salt so to speak

- we know his skin grew lighter with time

- we know about the chimp

- we know about the dangling of the baby from the 4th floor balcony

We know all these things and it's for none of these things that he is being memorialized. You and I could have done these things as well -- nothing special here.

But how many of us know about the stiff racial barriers he shattered? Did you know that MTV had a policy of no videos by black artists on the network prior to Michael Jackson coming along? How many of us know just how hard he worked at his craft to get to where he was? How many of us sacrificed ourselves in a similar fashion to become excellent at what we do for a living?

How many of us understand and appreciate how much of his wealth went to help others? Who among us have donated a similar percentage of our wealth to charities like he did? Who among us labored for free, purely so that the proceeds could feed the hungry?

Who among us practically reinvented our respective industries? When you or I pass away, is motorcycling -- or your particular industry -- going to mourn our loss like the music world mourns his? Who among us made anywhere near the same impact?

It is for THAT he is being remembered. Dwelling on his faults or re-living the insanity surrounding his life does nothing but inflate our own deluded egos as to our own alleged significance. This very imperfect, troubled, and flawed human being shook up the world in a way you and I can't even dream of ever doing. So let's show him a little respect for that by letting his legacy stand or fall on it's own, with out our help, and for taking a second to wonder at just how high a person can fly when they are so talented, motivated, and are blessed enough to live in a society that places little to no hinderances on its citizens to reach such heights.

So because he made a lot of money singing and dancing he should be memorialized.

IF a person truly believes he wasn't a pedophile, fine.

However, if a person (or a society for that matter) even suspects that he committed the most heinous of crimes then to memorialize him is WRONG.

God have mercy on his soul. But not me.

Harry

beemerman2k

Now see, this is a perfect, text book case in point. Countless people saw this link, and because they don't care for Michael Jackson, they never bothered to even enter this thread. Harry comes along, sees the link, reads everyone's post, then take time out of his life to post something rather foolish and disparaging about Michael Jackson. And I'm supposed to think Michael Jackson is a nut job? :smile:

Who's the real nut job? Michael Jackson, or the people who expend energies following his nutty antics?

So because he made a lot of money singing and dancing he should be memorialized.

Uh, yeah. That's the way these things work, Harry.

IF a person truly believes he wasn't a pedophile, fine.

However, if a person (or a society for that matter) even suspects that he committed the most heinous of crimes then to memorialize him is WRONG.

Have you read up on some of the members of the Baseball Hall of Fame? The Hollywood Walk of Fame? Some of the most revered people in our society? Are you sure you apply this standard uniformly and across the board?

God have mercy on his soul. But not me.

Harry

Whether you have mercy or not is your business, but why are you here then? Why did you take time out of your busy life to post such sentiments about a man who is in no position to do anything that anyone would consider unacceptable anymore?

As God is my witness, I could care less about this man on a personal level. I think he was a brilliant entertainer, but his personal life is his own business. No, I do not advocate looking the other way when it comes to crimes committed against another -- especially children. But I also know that I am not going to dismiss a person just because that person was suspected of a crime. Even if he's guilty, I'm not arguing the case for his personal life. I don't care about his, or any entertainers (that includes sports, too, folks) personal life! I am simply memorializing his work as a musician.

In the same way, I celebrate the lives of political leaders even though some of them were slave owners, I celebrate the lives of Presidents even though some of them were adulterers, I celebrate many people whose personal lives may not pass this forum's judgements. But why take time out of your life to disparage a dead man? That's what I guess I am missing here.

Archived