IGNORED

Valve Adjust/Dealer Cash Cow

Rinkydink

Why is it that the boxer motor's valves have to be adjusted/checked every 6k? Would it not be possible for the great German company to tweak the design somehow to lengthen the interval? This may be a stupid question to you sho-nuf mechanics but is it not possible to put hydraulic adjusters or something like on H-D motors? It just seems in this day and age they could do something. Of course, they want you to bring it in for the revenue it makes them, that's understood. Ducati just lengthened their service intervals didn't they?

I know I should learn to do them myself like I do on my airhead but Tech Daze are few and far between in my neck o' the woods and I just haven't took the dive off the proverbial cliff yet.

BMW's recommendations notwithstanding they don't need to be checked every 6k, once the engine has settled in you can easily go two or three times that much before a check is needed.

Joe Frickin' Friday

they certainly could have put hydraulic lifters in, but those add cost, weight, and complexity. On the boxer they would likely also add width to an already-wide engine.

Sure would like to see a pic of that Ossa :clap: Use to flat track them in the 70's as well as owning a couple Pursang's.

The valve adjust isn't all that difficult and you will learn it when time presents itself. When they do away with the rocker style head that's sooooo outdated and limits RPM capability anyway, maybe then and only then will they get 10k or better between valve adj. But why fix something that ain't broke 'eh and goes for many miles the way it is. The motor basic isn't designed for upper RPM capabilty anyway.

Ohnestly looking forward to Erion Racing taking hold of the BMW USA Suberbike efforts, although it won't be with the boxer motor. More work for me... :grin:

BTW, what kind of blues to you play???

RoanokeRider

If you can adjust the valves on your airhead, you can do it on your oilhead. Just about the only diference is that you adjust 2 of each on each side. Removing and replacing the valve covers is easier and finding TDC is easier. The onlt thing more difficult is removing the tupperware. At least that has been my limited expereince.

lots of modern bikes can go 24k miles between valve adjustments, but most modern bikes need the cams to come out to adjust them, I can do both sides of my oilhead in an hour, and know they are done right :thumbsup:

I check the valves every 6k miles, but do not adjust them. Normally one valve is all I ever find that is not spot on, once I was able to adjust two. The adjustment has always been just under one-thousandth. The only reason I even adjust that small amount is that I've gone to all the effort to get to that point and I want to do something! Note the throttle bodies rarely need adjustment either, but I check them as well. During my last service (at 60k miles) both the valves and TBs were still perfect.

Dave in Doodah

I believe most engines now have true overhead cams (or hydraulic lifters), which requires special tools to work on the shims and buckets that control the valve train lash, or you need to remove the cams to get to the shims....

the boxer has solid lifters that require more frequent adjustment, but the rocker arms allow the simple adjustment with jam nuts.... I see it as the best of both worlds. The solid lifters allow more precise clearances and the rockers allow simple adjustment.

I used to think that 6,000 miles was too short but my last valve check at 6,000 miles showed one clearance significantly off. My engine is at ~70,000 miles. Usually I don't have to change anything but???? So I check and usually put the covers back on.

I used to think that 6,000 miles was too short but my last valve check at 6,000 miles showed one clearance significantly off. My engine is at ~70,000 miles. Usually I don't have to change anything but???? So I check and usually put the covers back on.

+1

You don't really need to check them that often once you get some miles on these motors. The last two times I checked, there was no adjustment necessary. This last time I didn't even bother to check them. I'll check again if and when it starts running rough.

Bike has 70k+ miles

+1

You don't really need to check them that often once you get some miles on these motors. The last two times I checked, there was no adjustment necessary. This last time I didn't even bother to check them. I'll check again if and when it starts running rough.

Bike has 70k+ miles

Same here, almost ready to turn 100K miles. Last 2 valve checks required NO adjustment. The last time I had to adjust the valves was about 8k after a dealer had adjusted them :S

+1

Bike has 70k+ miles

Same here, almost ready to turn 100K miles. Last 2 valve checks required NO adjustment. The last time I had to adjust the valves was about 8k after a dealer had adjusted them :S

Waiting until it runs rough may be too late.......Kind of like checking the oil when the idiot light flashes. Once an exhaust valve gets tight, it can be a very short wait before it shows up in your piston top. You can safely extend the check mileage once they quit changing, but I would still check them every 12k or so. The price of vigilance is cheap, compared to the destruction possible. YMMV. Good Luck.

Archived