IGNORED

Tire pressure for PilotRoad2's

MontanaMark

MontanaMark

All,

I recently purchased a set of Michelin PR2's for my 99 1100RT. When I went to have them mounted at Cycle Gear, they asked what pressure I wanted. I told them 36 psi rear and 31 psi front - the stock BMW standard. So the guy thinks that's too low, that these tires should be at 40 to 45 psi. I told him just to stick with the standard.

The question is: Is he right? Should I up the pressure in these tires? What pressure to you all use?

TIA,

Mark

Many folks around here run 36 to 38 front and 40 or 42 rear. Cold.

31 sounds a might bit low and mushy for the front of these heavy bikes. I'm sure I would have a cracked or bent rim from big pot holes here in L.A. if I ever went that low on pressure. The 1100 three spoke wheel is very susceptible to damage at low pressures. Not to mention fighting the heavy steering and deminished tire life...

There have been a lot of reports of bent rims on the 1100s running BMW pressures. The thing to remember is that BMW call up pressures for comfort as well as stability, they also increased the reccomendation by 5 psi at each end for the 1100 in a service bulletin. Most bike manufactureres recommend the lowest pressures they can, hence the need to increase pressure when carrying passengers/luggage. Tyre manufacturers however, usually recommend running at the highest pressures - usually the fully loaded setting. On my R1150RT, that is 36 front 42 rear. I always go by the tyre manufacturers recommendation.

Andy

Exploreinman

I buy my tires at Ken's Motorcycle Tires in Woodstock. Ken has been dealing solely in motorcycle tires for many years and does all the work himself. He recommends 40 psi front and 42 rear on the Pilot Road 2's. I just finished my first set on the PR2's and got 9500 miles on my R12RT. I estatic about that type of mileage and just put on my second set of PR2's.

I run my PR2's around 40 PSI +/- 1 PSI

I've been through 3 sets of them and have had excellent wear at those pressures. I ride solo 99% of the time with a pretty light load.

Let your tires tell you what pressure to run.

An old standard was to check your pressure when cold and then after twenty miles. If the pressure increase is close to 10%, you're good. If it increases by more than that, your starting 'cold' pressure was too low. And vice versa. (from my technical days working at Uniroyal tire)

On my R1150RT with Dunlop RoadSmart's, I find 36f and 39 rear to be almost perfect.

RG

You should go by what the bike manufacturer recommends. I think its 36 and 40. That's what I do.

Usually the tire manufacturer recommends you go by what the bike manufacturer recommends.

dc

I have 10,000 miles on my PilotRoad2's and they look great! Run 38 in the front and 42 back. Ride two up 40% on the time. Plannining on going to the MOA rally and then on to the Gulf Coast - returning to New England. Wonderining if they will make it. As this is my first set of these tires, how many miles can I reasonably expect? Do they run longer the the old PilotRoads? Once did 14k miles on a set of them.

You should go by what the bike manufacturer recommends. I think its 36 and 40. That's what I do.

Usually the tire manufacturer recommends you go by what the bike manufacturer recommends.

dc

That's funny, he is! Of course it's from a outdated information for his 1100 where the numbers are all wrong. :dopeslap:

Unhofliche_Gesundheit

i have a little trailer too - tire pressure also needs to be carefully monitored. ;) if you insert the trailer pressure in between the other two (for comedic / innuendo purposes :thumbsup: ) i ride 38-30-42 !! :grin:

When i bought my P Road 2 i rang Michelin and asked what pressures they reccomended,they said use the BMW Pressures.I mentioned Bridgestones advice about extra psi and they said NO.

The chap asked if the Bridgestones had squared off fairly quickly,i said they had and he replyed it was because they were to hard.So i keep mine to the reccomended pressures what you do is up to you.

i use 38 front and 42 rear. i have over 5,000 miles and they look and feel great...also just to start some trouble here...when i first got them for $5 a tire i filled them with nitro..still are at 38 and 42!!!! bumble bees are not suppossed to fly but they do!

redzonerich

I have a 2000RT with PR2's. 42 rear 38 front -- and I ride 90% solo. Don't go by the Owners manual unless you want significantly reduced life span on your tires.

38f and 41R. 13000 on the last set which still had tread. 6000 on the current set and they look great. I ride solo 100% of the time.

I also run 38f-42r and have 9500 miles on this set. It looks like I might get a couple thousand more, but it's hard to estimate the last part of the tire life. Even if I only get 500 more, I will be happy with these tires.

Just did the Lake Superior Circle Tour and ran 38F and 40R on a fresh set of PR2's. Temp was from 45 to 85 degrees with rain, fog, and sun. The pressures were right on every morning and the tires performed very well.

Archived