IGNORED

Removing badge from top case

smiller

I am having my 49-liter top case paint-matched to my bike. Is there any way to remove the BMW badge without damaging it? The body shop says that they can mask it but recommended removing it if possible so as to avoid any seams in the clear coat which they say could possibly cause an issue several years down the road. They said it wasn't mandatory to remove it, but advisable. Has anyone successfully gotten it off without damage?

I am having my 49-liter top case paint-matched to my bike. Is there any way to remove the BMW badge without damaging it? The body shop says that they can mask it but recommended removing it if possible so as to avoid any seams in the clear coat which they say could possibly cause an issue several years down the road. They said it wasn't mandatory to remove it, but advisable. Has anyone successfully gotten it off without damage?
I just did this. There is a ring of sticky foam behind the badge, and two posts on the back of the badge at 3 and 9 o'clock. Work a piece of dental floss from the top down about 1/2 way, then from the bottom up about 1/2 way. Using the floss and/or your finger tips, work the badge outward -- the posts only have a light friction fit. In my case, the adhesive was barely in contact with the trunk lid, so the badge came off real easy while I was standing in my painter's parking lot.

dental floss my man......dental floss

Slide it back behind the badge and start sawing through whatever adhesive they use. This is an old BMW car trick used for removing emblems

Edit.....oops, Mark beat me to it :grin:

Thanks guys, that worked perfectly. Mine came off just like Mark's... not much tape holding it, almost fell off in my hand.

Archived