IGNORED

Niagara Falls area cycling

ElJay

Hello everyone,

I'm thinking of taking an August or September cycle trip up to the Niagara Falls area (Chicago area to Niagara Falls). Are there enough scenic routes in the Niagara Falls area to keep me occupied for a day, preferably two? I know there are plenty of "tourist" things to do but I don't know how the area is for cycle touring. Any insight provided would be a great help. Thanks!

Niagara Parkway (from the falls south to Fort Erie) is about 30 minutes, along the river through a park. Nice houses, river view, slow speeds (25-35), flat. Many small gravel parking lots to pull over and picnic in the shade.

Suggest you pick up a wine tour guide at the border and follow the back roads to some of Canada's finest wineries. Many of them have fine dining opportunities as well. Enjoy.

For a laid-back day, leave NF early one morning and head North on the Robt. Moses Pkwy to Youngstown. Stop there for a *great* breakfast overlooking the Niagara River at Youngstown Village Diner. Then head a few blocks north to Fort Niagara State Park. Then take hwy 18 east along the Ontario lakefront with views of the Toronto skyline 40 miles across the lake. Check out more state parks and a few "semi-quaint" villages. You should have the roads all to yourself. After a ways, head back south towards Lockport and check out whats left of the Erie Canal. Or continue on 18 past Rochester, then southeast to Geneva on Seneca Lake and ride the western shoreline down to Watkins Glen. In Watkins Glen, be SURE to visit Watkins Glen State Park for a unique experience. Then loop back to NF. Pretty country up there!

Lineareagle

I assume you are talking motorcycling. If so then I would suggest a back road ride along the Niagara escarpment. It runs from the tip of the Bruce Peninsula along Georgian Bay and then cuts down through Collingwood, Forks of the Credit, Milton, Hamilton and eventually to Niagara Falls. Very scenic and some enjoyable twisties.

I would cross at Sarnia and head north to the Bruce and ride it down.

Believe me the 401 from Windsor to Hamilton is BORING!!!.

If you ride the shore of Lake Erie it is flat with mostly straight roads, but it is through farming country.

Once at Niagara, the parkway along the river is very nice, if short and spending some time in Niagara-on-the-Lake can be very nice, All wine country with high end boutiques and period hotels and such.

At the time you are talking you may get some foliage color but not much. If you wait till later in Sept and early Oct. It would really be in full show.

Archived