IGNORED

would you still buy a pontiac?

Rich06FJR1300

Rich06FJR1300

given the current circumstances (GM is shutting down this division) but i see some deals on grand prix's which i like. currently have a 1997 with over 200,000 miles on it and am looking at a 2008 model. Just want to get a sense if i'm making the right decision or not.

thanks,

Rich

W/O talking about brand preferences, I would say that my worst concern buying a car about to be discontinued, would be re-sale value, with parts running a close second. However, since you drove your previous car for 200K miles, re-sale is a mute point for you. Your old car has reached that point where it's worth anywhere from $100 - $500. Parts will likely be available under a different GM brand.

Now, I would hold off a bit. There is a program coming up where the government will pay $3,500 for you to replace your vehicle for a more fuel efficient one, and up to $4,500 if the new vehicle is 10MPG better than your old one.

Cracks me up when people talk about re-sale value...

A vehicle is not an investment. It's just a losing proposition. :dopeslap:

Buy it if you like it. I loved the 400 hp GTO... :grin:

MB>

Rich06FJR1300

good points...yeah, i tend to keep my cars a long time LOL. That's not to say that could change but for now it works as i hate debt.

Re: the old clunker bill..not sure if my car qualifies. I think its mostly for SUV's and trucks (anything under 18 mpg), mine has been getting around 25 mph so i'll have to wait and see.

There is a program coming up where the government will pay $3,500 for you to replace your vehicle for a more fuel efficient one

edit - inappropriate knee-jerk reply deleted

I think it is a great idea if the price is right. Pontiac makes some nice cars, parts will be available for many years to come, and you can get service at any GM dealer. Just make sure the discount is generous enough to reflect the economic realities of the doomed marque.

Jay

My parents bought the last year Studebaker (1964) Lark, which was called a Challenger. They thought it would be an ideal car for their two sons to learn to drive, instead of the Chryler New Yorker or DeSoto station wagon barges. It was a simple six cylinder, automatic transmission that any jackleg mechanic could service; just a cheaper basic Ford Falcon or Chevy II. The government required parts to be available for a minimum of ten years. My brother wrecked it in four so I don't know what would have happened at end of life.

I'd say to go for it. With the internet, getting parts shouldn't be a problem and GM cars are alike enough for mechanics to not have a problem servicing them.

good points...yeah, i tend to keep my cars a long time LOL. That's not to say that could change but for now it works as i hate debt.

Re: the old clunker bill..not sure if my car qualifies. I think its mostly for SUV's and trucks (anything under 18 mpg), mine has been getting around 25 mph so i'll have to wait and see.

The EPA mileage rating for your car is either 20 or 21 mpg combined, depending on whether you have the 3.1 or the 3.8. Those will be the numbers they use to determine your eligibility, not your actual experience.

Rich06FJR1300

i have the 3.8. I took a look at the 2008 today, they want 15 for it and has only 11k miles on it (its at a dealer). Looked good though, sunroof, heated seats, leather interior...has the same motor as mine only they call it the Series III. looks very sharp though...silver color.

i have the 3.8. I took a look at the 2008 today, they want 15 for it and has only 11k miles on it (its at a dealer). Looked good though, sunroof, heated seats, leather interior...has the same motor as mine only they call it the Series III. looks very sharp though...silver color.

There are tons of '08 nice low mileage, GM certified Grand Prix's right around that price range. If the car is great, it's your call, but the price is nothing special.

Why would you want to? There as SOoooo many other better cars out there. The GP consistently rates toward the bottom of mid-size sedans in reliability, comfort, handling, fuel mileage... the list goes on. It’s on Consumer Reports, “Worst than Average” and “Used Cars to Avoid” lists. Then throw in the current GM mess (that is hopeless), I’d say – move on.

Rich06FJR1300

are you sure? i checked consumers..the new G8 is at the bottom but the grand prix seems to be ok, i'll check again

Archived