IGNORED

:..V1 and my new to me K12R.sport..:

hANNAbONE

i'VE bEEN trying to sort out my V1 location on the new to me K12R.s

I've currently got the V1 on top of the Held tank bag (which is electrified/wired) - and for the most part it is out of the weather and workable.

I have been talking to TechMounts as they have a stem stand that screws into the steering head beneath the BMW logo plug. Problem is -

every time I put the V1 near the iginition switching, my V1 goes on fault alert with continuous blaring and all lights lit.

The stem stand can be a 3.5 inch or a 5.0 inch above the steering head.

It might be enough to clear the problem and get the V1 within sight too...a definite plus plus.

But the roll of the dice is around $100.00 and I'm not sure I'm ready to roll yet.

wHIPdON had his V1 mounted on the brake master cylinder. he didn't have any problems.

I just didn't like it there at all. So, now you understand

my dilemna.

I even attempted to mount the V1 in the fairing on the right side of the instrument pod...

but the headlight bracket prevented the antenna to gain signal...and it continued to fault like crazy.

Nice try - but it ain't working there either.

Okay - your help in digital form....please.

Perhaps my V1 is wonky..?

Perhaps my V1 is wonky..?

It's possible.

Send it in to V1 to have it checked.

My unit has had an issue twice (2006 and 2009) where it stops detecting a band. (seems to be heat related after sitting in direct sun all day. Once sensitivity is lost, it doesn't come back.)

I've sent it to V1 both times, including the $45 check as requested by their web site.

In both cases, the unit has been returned to full function, turned around in less than a week and my check returned uncashed.

Needless to say, I am very happy with V1 customer service!

Firefight911

I'm sitting here next to Whip right now. He was hoping you wouldn't notice this "anamoly" so soon.

Something about caveat emptor and lemons. It's 2009 so I can't elaborate further.

Have you tried the tech mounts off the handlebars or maybe a ram mount with long extension arm?

Dennis Andress

Have you given thought to the remote module available for the V1? The windshield on the Beatle places the V1 out of even my reach. So Laney plugged in a remote module which disabled the display on the V1 itself but shows everything on the remote.

Pictures here.

Dennis

pHILLIPPE'..caveat emptor and lemons,,,yeah i get that -

wHIPdON will get my V1 wrath here in a bit.. :^)

Dennis -

I actually have that same remote module - haven't ever used it..but might consider it.

I use a Marc Parnes LED array that gets me my alert's visually..

(*I don't particularly care "where" the signal is coming from - just that it is blaring a real signal to me.)

so....I think I may plug 'n play my other V1 and see if things are a tick different..might be the fix.!

Thanks for your replies, dewds...

• 1 month later...

I'll second the idea that something's wrong with your V1. I have a V1 for my KR and I've never seen it freak out because it was near the ignition. I have mine mounted with a RAM mount off of the right mirror stalk.

Do you have an older-rev unit per chance? Per V1 tech support both radiated ignition noise and noise on the DC input from CANbus electrical systems are known issues with the earlier (thicker) V1 units. When I installed my (older) V1 on my K1200GT I had lots of problem with falsing (making the unit essentially unusable) and in my case the problem was noise on the DC input. The way to tell whether it is radiated or power-supply noise is to temporarily power the V1 from an isolated external battery, start your engine, and see if the problem persists. If it does then you are experiencing radiated interference and if the problem goes away then the interferences is on the DC input. If the latter then you may be able to do what I did (bypass the power supply leads to ground through a couple of 0.1 uf caps), which cured the problem. If the problem is radiated however the cure will more difficult or impossible, you can try relocating the unit but that's about it.

Well, there is one more thing to try, you can send the unit back to V1 for what they call the 'airport mod' which involves installing better shielding inside the case. This will cost either $50 or nothing depending on their mood. Or you can upgrade to the latest (thinner case) hardware revision which also cured the problem on my bike (I tried a friend's newer unit and it didn't exhibit any problems.) I chose two 25-cent caps over a $200 upgrade, but the option is there.

If you already have the newer-rev unit and you are still experiencing problems then you either have a very bad interference problem or the unit may indeed be faulty.

I think the V 1 misses Larry.

He had it going off so often on his rides that the unit is just out of sorts w/out him.

;)

FYI : i dID swap my in car for the one that has been on the bike.

I simply mounted it inside the tank bag clear map "case". Cut a small slice thru the top of the bag

- and plugged in - the motorcycle remote is attached to the top of the bag directly

under the V1 taped to the top.

I ran the MarcParnes 10 LED to the underside of the instrument pod...Ddbl sided tape holds it fast.

I took it to the Hub in Arkansas and to the MOA all in July - along with countless in town runs - not a hiccup.

Oh, and the V1 that WAS on the bike that is now in the car is acting normally too...no faults.

I may send the V1's in for upgrading come winter - I'm sure the turnaround will be the same whether then or now.

Thanks for the responses, peeps.!

Archived